DVDVR Message Board

2016 Wrestling Observer Awards

Noah Mark

They haven't come out yet

Going by the usual time table Dave uses - they would come out this week but this week being the Post-Rumble issue he might wait till next week

I know his timeline is later this year than normal

On 2/7/2017 at 4:04 PM, RIPPA said:

For what its worth - Dave is claiming the awards will be in the issue that comes out tomorrow

On WOR on Monday, he said it'd likely be two weeks.This weekend has UFC, a big NJPW show and a WWE PPV.

And on last night's radio show - he said it was going to be AT LEAST a couple of more weeks

Things are "very hard for him right now"

Basically he said there is way too much going on and he doesn't have time to do them - especially on the weekends.

So he is hoping - HOPING - that he will be able to tabulate them the last weekend of Feb

I wonder how much the death of that one guy who helped out a lot, Scott Williams, has affected how much he can output. Probably a lot. Someone else could tabulate the damn things if they were involved in the process. Make Bix do it or something.

• 2 weeks later...

Dave said on the radio show that the this was the "smartest" group of voters he has had in the awards ever

Basically - the people who only watched one fed and voted was very very small

This was all on the radio show from Sunday night - so I am guessing it will be in the issue coming out Wednesday

On 2/14/2017 at 10:49 PM, Ryan said:

I wonder how much the death of that one guy who helped out a lot, Scott Williams, has affected how much he can output. Probably a lot. Someone else could tabulate the damn things if they were involved in the process. Make Bix do it or something.

Scott's main role for Dave (other than legal advice) was proofreading*.  He didn't really help much with the actual content, and he definitely wouldn't have been able to help count votes.

*Yeah, I know, "Someone proofreads the Observer?"  Yes, and Scott was a damn good editor (I worked for him at the paper he worked at), but by the time Dave sent an issue to Scott, the turnaround time was very tight, so sometimes Dave would miss some of Scott's notes because of deadline pressure. 

23 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Dave said on the radio show that the this was the "smartest" group of voters he has had in the awards ever

Basically - the people who only watched one fed and voted was very very small

This was all on the radio show from Sunday night - so I am guessing it will be in the issue coming out Wednesday

Not with all the deaths last week, I think.

Well they were already all covered by Dave in the last issue and basically kicked the can down the road on George Steele and Chavo Sr.

So those are going to turn into like Rey Jr HOF pieces

Also, why is a rebroadcast of ppv matches eligible for "best weekly show", but a web only show, or Cruiserweight Classic isn't? Why do people think Mauro is a good announcer? When will people understand that overrated/overpushed and Underrated/Underpushed are entirely separate things?

• Like 1