DVDVR Message Board

2016 Wrestling Observer Awards

Noah Mark

43 minutes ago, Technico Support said:
Bryan Danielson Award (Best Technical Wrestler) Zack Sabre Jr(3,273)

The marks are falling for it

This could be said for pretty much every award handed out.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bazzil said:

Most Disgusting Promotional Tactic Kimbo Slice vs. Dada 5000 The Use of Reid Flair's death in an angle by WWE

Was this Kimbo Slice MMA-fighting a Grant Morrison themed robot Weekend at Bernie's style? Because that sounds kind of awesome. 

• Like 2

Dada 5000 was just as terrible as Kimbo and nearly died after the fight (he spent 2 weeks in the hospital after the fight)

The decision was overturned because Kimbo tested positive for steroids (Kimbo died a few months later to cast another shadow over the fight)

It was basically the equivalent of a bum fight on PPV

So no - no giant robot

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Dada 5000 was just as terrible as Kimbo and nearly died after the fight (he spent 2 weeks in the hospital after the fight)

The decision was overturned because Kimbo tested positive for steroids (Kimbo died a few months later to cast another shadow over the fight)

It was basically the equivalent of a bum fight on PPV

So no - no giant robot

According to Dada 5000 he died multiple times after the fight.  Like his heart stopped...repeatedly, and the other guy's heart stopped permanently a few months later.  That fact that both of those guys were even medically cleared to fight is insane.   

First of all it is silly to get bothered by the awards (same with the HOF)

But what is frustrating is Dave's random application of his rules.

Like - the CWC wasn't allowed to be considered a TV show (we covered that point already)

And then the Seth Rollins documentary that won "Best DVD" was never ever released on DVD (it was just a Network special)

3 hours ago, RandomAct said:

Put it in the bin. Dave's readers are as out of touch as he is.

It isn't that they are out of touch it is that they are mostly just sheep to what Dave tells them.  Dave tells you that new Japan is the best promotion in everything, the voters do the same.  I am sure the 2017 show of the year will be WrestleKingdom because Dave told them 5 days before the show it would be the best show in 2017.    Dave tells you that the Young Bucks are the greatest team ever  so the voters do the same although I am not sure they are in the top 3 this year.  (Hardy's, DIY, Revival).  Dave tells you Mauro is the greatest so he wins that award even though he is completely polarizing right now

The only categories that the voters seem to have their own opinion is the Worst categories.  I mean anyone that thought Wrestlemania was worse than any of the TNA or ROH PPV last year needs his head check.

• Like 1

I don't have a problem with Wrestle Kingdom winning for 2016.  It was a great show.   My argument is more with things like Tag team and TV show which just smacks of  'well Dave loves it".   What is the percentage of people who actually get AXS TV in the US?   I don't in my area  unless I change my cable to FIOS or get a dish

Dave has actually disagreed with some of the results. He thinks Naito should've beaten AJ for the Flair award. He seemed to think Ricochet should've won Best Flyer and Corbin should've won Most Overrated.

21 minutes ago, Ace said:

Dave has actually disagreed with some of the results. He thinks Naito should've beaten AJ for the Flair award. He seemed to think Ricochet should've won Best Flyer and Corbin should've won Most Overrated.

It's amazing how that doesn't actually help his case.

• Like 1

If someone was looking to make a case for Dave's anti-WWE bias

I would start with the card of the year - where on the radio show, Dave mentioned he was at 3 of the top 5 finishing shows live and was pretty much enraged that NXT Takeover Dallas beat BOLA and one of the UFC shows.

He proceeded to say that while Takeover had a "great crowd" there was nothing on the card (specifically mentioning Nak/Zayn and AA/Revival) that was better than ANYTHING on the BOLA card. He also said that Takeover was "only 5 matches" (so the implication is very much that unless a show is 4 hours it isn't "good")

I agree Ricochet is worlds better than Ospreay.  I saw Ospreay break up a pin attempt with a standing shooting star.  Get the fuck out of here with that shit.  Like, "holy shit if that guy gets the pin I'm fucked...better get my shit in tho!"  Ugh.  

• Like 1

And there is no sense of the so-called "hive mind" here or other communities? There are strong biases everywhere. This board's posters generally sway the opposite of WO voters, towards WWE and against NJPW.  I don't agree with a lot of the award winners but I'm not going to get upset with it and I can see how people voted that way. If you judge Sabre Jr. off his CWC and his unnecessarily long matches with Scurll, that would make no sense but the guy has put in some great work. 

And I only saw one TNA PPV and I did watch the ROH PPVs... Wrestlemania was easily the most infuriating, disappointing show of the year and just fucking awful barring the women's match. My friend was so depressed after that show, lol. 

• Like 1

On 2/14/2017 at 11:49 PM, Ryan said:

I wonder how much the death of that one guy who helped out a lot, Scott Williams, has affected how much he can output. Probably a lot. Someone else could tabulate the damn things if they were involved in the process. Make Bix do it or something.

I really hope "make Bix do it or something" becomes a meme. 

• Like 2

Backpacking on the Alvarez/Bix thing, I'm surprised that at this point in it's long run, Dave hasn't delegated some things to others. You know somebody would be ready and willing (and Gable) to assist him. 

But hey, I get it. It's his baby, so let him take care of it. 

4 hours ago, RandomAct said:

AA/Revival was also better than anything at BOLA, so there is that.

As was Nakamura/Zayn.  Shit, I've seen at least 3 DIY/Revival matches from 2016 that are better than any of the BOLA matches.