DVDVR Message Board

2017 ROYAL RUMBLE POST SHOW DISCUSSION

RIPPA

2 minutes ago, ChrisM said:

Cena/Styles > Omega/Okada. Rest of the show was great, too. Orton winning the RR was a real surprise, to me at least. So I guess we see Bray vs. Orton at WM after Bray wins the title at EC. 

It would have been a surprise to me too if a certain wrestling site's podcast didn't feel the need to leak it immediately this morning.  It's my own fault.  I should have known better.  But yeah, it ain't gonna be Orton/Cena.

4 minutes ago, Fallacy! said:

Only person I can see taking the belt off Charlotte is Nia Jax.

The plan is Bayley winning at Mania

But the plan is also a 4-way so she could win without pinning Charlotte

Taker was hobbling around looking like Terry Funk in there, and not in the good Terry Funk way. 

Good Rumble until #30. Jesus, that sucked the air out of the room. Also, where was Kane?! He's been in every single Rumble since his debut. He couldn't have been given Apollo Crew's spot? I would've even taken Kane at #30 over Roman Reigns.

It's 2017 and our potential WM Main Event is Randy Orton vs. John Cena for the WWE Title. I'm positive that won't happen, but still. That's where it stands right now. Pathetic ending to an otherwise decent Rumble. For shame.

I really don't get where they are going with some of these WM matches:

1.  You set up possible Reigns vs Strowman and Reigns vs taker WM matches in the same night?

2.  You have Goldberg again destroy Lesnar easily.  It is going to take a damn murder on RAW to make people think that Lesnar vs Goldberg at WM means anything

3.  You have Orton winning while putting the title on Cena.  Most people think Bray is winning the Elmination Chamber match to set up WM.  So the title that ties Ric Flair's record is a one month transitional thing?

Going to be really interesting and confusing.

In the Rumble match, the biggest surprise for me in hindsight was Harper's face turn. 

Also, did anyone else think a couple good brothers would interfere in AJ's match based on his tights? I was really expecting a Club reunion. 

• Like 2

Hey maybe they are playing towards a Roman politicized to get Joe's spot so he makes Roman pay for his sins story line. 

Ok all kidding aside thought Cena/AJ was fun, even didn't mind Cena winning all that much until I saw the end of the Rumble.  Orton/AJ sounds so much more appealing than Cena/Orton.  They really can't be thinking of having Cena only hold the title for two weeks can they?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, L_W_P said:

I don't mind them saying "Oh the losers of the title matches are big stars so they get spots" so long as they give BOTH guys spots. AJ not getting a spot while Roman does is just dumb.

They did nothing with Lawler/Dolph/JBL.

NXT now looks dumb for not booking Joe for the last month while Dillinger pulls double duty this weekend.

I just... ugh.

Yeah.  The Rumble always has logic problems, but putting AJ in over James Ellsworth was the way to go.  They should have had Lawler stomp Ziggler after he was eliminated, anything to bring attention to their situation.

If they have someone ask how Reigns got a spot so quickly and we find out he's in with Stephanie, something like that--that'll be interesting.

They had more space fillers than I anticipated--Kalisto, Crews, Ellsworth, Enzo.  If you had taken half those spots and given them to AJ and Samoa Joe, it would have been a smoother story.

Reigns may have his work cut out for him with Taker.  Deadman did not look good at all.

Goldberg punking Lesnar may not ever get old.

5 minutes ago, ChrisM said:

Cena/Styles > Omega/Okada.

I haven't seen Omega vs. Okada, but considering some fans are calling "the greatest match in pro wrestling history" and saying "forget Misawa vs. Kawada, that's the past. This was far superior" already makes me feel they're over reacting and have never actually watched any of the Misawa vs. Kawada matches or have watched very limited footage from New Japan.

And to actually add something to the AJ vs. Cena match, yes, I thought it was great. Probably not as good as their SummerSlam match, but still great.

Orton vs. Bray doesn't NEED the title though.  That's what's so fucked up.  If that match is for the title it's going to be what..  4th or 5th down the card?  The most logical thing to do was to have AJ vs. Cena at WrestleMania. That would have been WM main event worthy. It looks like neither title is going on last...    shame.

• Like 5

Just now, Edwin said:

I haven't seen Omega vs. Okada, but considering some fans are calling "the greatest match in pro wrestling history" and saying "forget Misawa vs. Kawada, that's the past. This was far superior" already makes me feel they're over reacting and have never actually watched any of the Misawa vs. Kawada matches or have watched very limited footage from New Japan.

And to actually add something to the AJ vs. Cena match, yes, I thought it was great. Probably not as good as their SummerSlam match, but still great.

Oh good, this fucking bullshit again. "I haven't seen said match, but I bet these other people are really uneducated to like said match so much." 

• Like 6

5 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

For those scoring at home. The surprises were

Kalisto

Dillinger

Ellsworth

Apollo Crews

Enzo

Mark Henry

Reigns

Jack Gallagher

I don't follow WWE closely, but I would've never guessed Kalisto, Ellsworth, Crews or Enzo were surprise entrants.

2 minutes ago, Edwin said:

Considering the moves they were doing, the pace was just shocking. Like kind of unbelievable.

Just now, Edwin said:

I don't follow WWE closely, but I would've never guessed Kalisto, Ellsworth, Crews or Enzo were surprise entrants.

"Surprise" in that they weren't announced ahead of time

1 minute ago, RIPPA said:

Kalisto

Dillinger

Ellsworth

Apollo Crews

Enzo

Mark Henry

Reigns

Jack Gallagher

I like how Cole knew it was Kalisto before he even came out.  That's Sin Cara's music too.  And nice to see nobody bothered to tell Jerry how to pronounce Jack Gallagher's name properly.  

6 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Kalisto

Dillinger

Ellsworth

Apollo Crews

Enzo

Mark Henry

Reigns

Jack Gallagher

Ellsworth and Enzo's spots should have been American Alpha. One of the spots, preferably Roman, should have been Joe.

Yeah, Roman losing and being in the Rumble, but not AJ is just stupid beyond belief. Why wouldn't AJ demand a spot after losing his title, like Roman presumably did?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Orton vs. Bray doesn't NEED the title though.  That's what's so fucked up.  If that match is for the title it's going to be what..  4th or 5th down the card?  The most logical thing to do was to have AJ vs. Cena at WrestleMania. That would have been WM main event worthy. It looks like neither title is going on last...    shame.

Like I have said before,  Bray needs to win a Wrestlemania match badly if they want him to be a top guy.  There is no way he is winning a title at WM.  But beating Orton in a grudge match would have worked