DVDVR Message Board

2017 ROYAL RUMBLE POST SHOW DISCUSSION

RIPPA

20 hours ago, Hagan said:

I like Orton but he didn't need the win. They used to do a pretty good job of elevating guys with a Rumble win. Our last six winners have been Sheamus (who was already a main event guy), Cena (though he had to win for the Rock match), Batista (remember that?), Reigns (which was an attempt to elevate someone but you know...), Hunter, and now Orton. 

Go back even further. Excepting ADR winning during his first few months of the company, who are the rest of your Rumble winners over the last decade? From 2007 to 2010 you've got Taker, Cena, Orton, and Edge, all established headliners when they won.

It's been a good long while since the Rumble's been used to elevate guys. Heck, I'm convinced more Rumbles (all-time) have been used on established guys than elevation. We idealize the concept of using it to elevate someone, but we're only really fooling ourselves because they've done plenty to suggest that's not how they see things. 

Imagine if they did what they did with Goldberg with one of their own fresh, young guys. Imagine if they set up Brock/Strowman or Brock/Corbin at Survivor Series and they beat Brock in 90 seconds. And then did the same in the Rumble. Boom. New Star. Instead, let's do that for a 50 year old guy from the Attitude Era.

Makes sense to have Brock goad Goldberg into the match, and then cost Owens the title at Fastlane. Have Goldberg put him over having given everything he got, unhappy with screwy finish, rematch definitely - Owens face turn, carries the load of the Goldberg/Lesnar part timer appearances en route to Mania. Jericho accuses him of being replaced as Owens' BF by Greenberg. Eventual Mania match there. Plant seeds for Owens/Lesnar, Prizefighter vs Prizefighter at some point down the line.

• RIPPA unpinned this topic
On ‎2017‎-‎01‎-‎29 at 9:48 PM, L_W_P said:

I don't mind them saying "Oh the losers of the title matches are big stars so they get spots" so long as they give BOTH guys spots. AJ not getting a spot while Roman does is just dumb.

AJ gets an automatic rematch since he lost his title. Kayfabe wise, why would he want to fight 29 other men to get a title match that he already has coming to him?

Roman did not lose his title, therefore does not get an automatic rematch. He also had an extra hour to recuperate from his match than AJ did, who was in the last match before the Rumble.

Really good show overall. I really liked the Rumble match, despite the winner. Gentleman Jack getting tossed over the top while in possession of his umbrella was outstanding. If you can't win, get eliminated in a way that people will remember. Speaking of which, poor Ellsworth. That looked nasty.

• Like 1

On 1/29/2017 at 8:57 PM, Edwin said:

I haven't seen Omega vs. Okada, but considering some fans are calling "the greatest match in pro wrestling history" and saying "forget Misawa vs. Kawada, that's the past. This was far superior" already makes me feel they're over reacting and have never actually watched any of the Misawa vs. Kawada matches or have watched very limited footage from New Japan.

And to actually add something to the AJ vs. Cena match, yes, I thought it was great. Probably not as good as their SummerSlam match, but still great.

Allow me to ring in on this before it gets silly... O vs. O isn't the greatest match ever, it isn't even the greatest NJPW match ever, (I do think that I can easily find room for it in the top 25 or top 50). What it is, is a very solid, no bs, state-of-the-art ***** match, that's certainly nothing to be ashamed of. AJ & Cena are very capable of pulling out a SOTA WWE match anytime they want to, I'd give their Summerslam match an **** leaning toward ****1/2, again, nothing to be ashamed of. Misawa & Kawada had more **** & ***** matches between them than any two people have any right to have. You're talking about the perfect storm scenario of two guys who complement each other in the ring, have the experience and let it show, and most importantly, have the book behind them to go all out and keep building the story every time. The odds of ever seeing anything quite like that again are pretty small. In an alternate universe, you could get there with Nakamura and Tanahashi, but that's really the only possibility I'm seeing (and the problem with that was other talent that was just about at their level, with Misawa & Kawada you didn't have any distractions by guys that were almost there). You can have great feuds with guys who are nowhere near comparable in the ring. Would anyone seriously offer up broken-down Stonecold Steve as comparably skilled to the amazing Brett Hart? What made Misawa & Kawada such a great feud is that on any given day one of them was arguably the best in the world and the other guy was #2

4 hours ago, Dewar said:

AJ gets an automatic rematch since he lost his title. Kayfabe wise, why would he want to fight 29 other men to get a title match that he already has coming to him?

Roman did not lose his title, therefore does not get an automatic rematch. He also had an extra hour to recuperate from his match than AJ did, who was in the last match before the Rumble.

Really good show overall. I really liked the Rumble match, despite the winner. Gentleman Jack getting tossed over the top while in possession of his umbrella was outstanding. If you can't win, get eliminated in a way that people will remember. Speaking of which, poor Ellsworth. That looked nasty.

Well it would be good security to have two guaranteed title shots lined up. 

When Edge first won Money In The Bank, he entered a tourney to get a title shot vs Batista. JR put over that Edge would not have to waste Money In The Bank if he won the tourney. 

Hypothetical question, If Orton wins the title before Mania, what happens to his title match?

I used to be really into snowflake ratings.  Then I realized I would sometimes enjoy matches that don't really fit any star rating criteria or might even be considered sub-three stars.  IMHO, I don't need every match to be 5* MOTYC.  I just want to enjoy it and have fun watching it and see the guys in it do interesting stuff.

• Like 1

Orton v. Wyatt does not have to be for a title if they split them up first.

At least there was no ringside interference for the RR - I hate that.

There was no need for Jericho to be in the cage (aside from comedy) - it didn't play into the finish at all. Typical short term writing, as opposed to booking.

AJ Styles looks perfectly posed for a freeze frame during every segment of a move.

Hang a bell on me and call me a Ding Dong, but I really like Roman Reigns punches.

- RAF

16 minutes ago, thee Reverend Axl Future said:

There was no need for Jericho to be in the cage (aside from comedy) - it didn't play into the finish at all. Typical short term writing, as opposed to booking.

Hang a bell on me and call me a Ding Dong, but I really like Roman Reigns punches.

- RAF

I was fine with Jericho in the cage, but the moment they said No DQ it was like the proverbial record scratch happened.  Talk about a "Wait, what?" reaction.  So killed the gimmick dead.  I think the only reason they even introduced it was to advertise a toy set with said shark cage.

And no need to call you a Ding Dong, I like Roman's punches too.  I feel bad ragging on the guy because he has gotten pretty good.

9 minutes ago, muhammedboehm said:

They already have a playset wit ha cage on a crane like thing

Right, and I think that was one of the reasons they did the Ellering in a Cage match on the Toronto Takeover.  The playset I believe came out not long before that.  Maybe it was not they main reason they did it for RR, but with it being No DQ it was still pointless to have it.