DVDVR Message Board

2017 ROYAL RUMBLE POST SHOW DISCUSSION

RIPPA

12 hours ago, ChrisM said:

The Alamadome crowd seemed to love the finish, so really that's all that matters. 

Yeah, I might have been one of five people booing. But the crowd HATED Roman. Not sure how clear the "THIS IS BULLSHIT" chants were on TV the entire time he was out there.

Orton was really over, and Roman intensified that enormously.

Watched the whole show with my son last night. It was okay.

I like Roman Reigns. He's kind of the perfect dude for Kevin Owens to fight because he makes Owens better and Owens makes him look cooler. They're made for each other.

AJ Styles vs. Cena was the battle of the lames that got my attention about half way through and I was digging it.  Everything after the Top Rope AA was fucking terrible though. Just awful.

Royal Rumble was fun. Reigns at 30 was hilarious. It's like they know the crowd won't want him to win so they used that to make Randy Orton seem like a great idea. And it worked. If they keep doing that maybe eventually the hip cat buttholes will feel bad and come around on Roman. Because he's cool beans. 

My son was killing me during the show. After Big E came in, he was like "Ugh, that means Xavier Woods will come in soon. I hope not."

Me: Why

Son: I'm 0 percent a fan of Xavier Woods.

Me: Why?!

Son: He threw his stupid trombone at Kalisto while Kalisto was climbing a ladder and was going to win the match. XAVIER WASN'T EVEN IN THE MATCH.

I don't even know what he's talking about but I can't argue with the logic.

• Like 4

I feel like how you react to this Rumble depends on how long you've been a fan in some ways. I notice that some of the more young fans that have grown to be desensitized to all this bullshit booking saw it for what a much better show it was compared to what they've done as of late. One striking thing I got from it was that dual-brand shows will forever feel more important because of the lack of depth on both brands throughout the card. Some of us older fans look at the Rumble in nostalgic eyes, towards the days when there were REAL surprises and people won that you could conceivably see be a huge draw. Now it is just "hey this guy gets it because why not?' Either way, I'm not completely against Orton going over but I agree that it seems so flat. Why not give the Rumble to a guy on the bubble for once? 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, King Leonidas Of Sparta said:

Reign's facial expression after he eliminated Taker is everything wrong with WWE. So unintimidating, fake, bad acting and blahasdfdfa

I notice Roman has that expression anytime hes going to lose. He starts off a match good, but when it comes time towards the end he's all fuck it and blah.

1 minute ago, Phantom Lord said:

I notice Roman has that expression anytime hes going to lose. He starts off a match good, but when it comes time towards the end he's all fuck it and blah.

That is far more common than you might think, especially on the indies.  Boo boo faces are terrible.

I miss when a Rumble win signified someone was ascending to the real main event scene.  A Wyatt win would have meant that.  Orton win, not so much. 

With it so wide open, a couple of guys could've won and it would've meant they were ascendant.

Off the top of my head, people who could've won and it wouldn't have seemed out of place and could be credible ascendant stars:

Cesaro

Baron Corbin

Sami Zayn

Braun Strowman

Big E

Hell, even Seth Rollins could've used a big win.  Seems like forever since he's had a credible big win.  When was his last important win?  Beating Roman for the championship just to get punked out by Ambrose?

• Like 3

This was the first show I've seen since SummerSlam, and boy it is disheartening how much everything and everyone is bent over backwards for the part-time brigade, especially given the depth of their roster (which apparently Vince and co. have zero faith in).

The only match that stuck with me aside from the Rumble itself was Styles/Cena, which I dug, but is still freighted with all the criticisms of Big Match John bouts from the better part of the last decade.

And I see all the rumors about the plans heading into Mania and intellectually I can understand where they're probably going, but seeing it all unfold thus far there is really nothing there that gives me any faith in where the direction of the product is heading in the foreseeable future.  And I know we're in the "wins and losses don't really matter" era... but Orton wins the Rumble, a guy I last saw getting his head staved in by Brock, who chumped out half the roster before being sent packing once again by fucking Goldberg.  And this is a good part of your backbone for Mania - three guys who can basically (and two who will definitely) peace out for an extended period at any time.  And that's without even delving into the Undertaker and whatever the fuck they're going to try to do with Reigns at this point...

...the Elimination Chamber's a cool gimmick though, so I'll probably watch that.

4 hours ago, RIPPA said:

To be fair - they are planning on turning Sasha soon so they think a turn wipes the slate clean so they can afford losses like this that help someone else

I'm paraphrasing Meltzer from the radio show there

So they're going to turn her to be the #3 heel behind the two women that just beat her? Makes no sense to me, and Nia or Charlotte turning face makes no sense. I think they need to trade Sasha to SDL for Becky or Nikki, and have her be the one to beat Alexa then Asuka comes up for the title feud with Sasha at Summer Slam.

I think WWE is kind of a slave to its own success in a way because they run these massive stadiums for WM every year and can't afford to roll the Rumble dice on a a Big E or a Braun or a Corbin. Sure, the counter argument is that the WM name itself is a draw, which may be partially true, but if you believe the story that there was an uptick in ticket sales when Shane/Taker was announced last year, it proves that whoever is working the show still matters. 

Can Neville get his first name back now?  King Adrian Neville the 1st sounds way better than just King Neville.  And no crown or cape.  Just a throne.  And maybe heel Adrian Neville just beating the ska out of Sami.  That'd be great.  I'm pretty sure that now that he's got the title, he'll be losing non-title matches to goobers like Noam Dar like immediately. 

Maybe Vince will throw us all a bone and give us Neville v. Kota at Wrestlemania. 

Roman's real first name is Leati, but everyone calls him Joe cause of his middle name. Kind of like Samoa Joe's first name is Nuufolau, but his middle name is Joel.