DVDVR Message Board

2017 ROYAL RUMBLE POST SHOW DISCUSSION

RIPPA

Fucking hell, I don't think even AJ could get a passable 10 minute match out of Goldberg, there's ring rust and then there's completely forgetting how to do the most basic shit like run the ropes, I know his entire moveset has always been based around the two big moves but yeah, what a crap shoot and Brock was going through the motions AGAIN hitting dudes with some weak sauce Suplexes. I dug Gallagher & Strowman's involvement the most. The Miz was aces too constantly bouncing off the ropes and feeding into position for moves which was the complete opposite of Jericho who I'm sure carnied his way into lasting an hour to plug his Yoga shit on his podcast, because his involvement was secondary and as touched on before, Roman entering at 30 was hilarious considering he was screwed out of the title by the one cat who entered real early, why didn't Roman eliminate him? what was the point.. they could have debuted Joe at 30 and still gone ahead with Orton winning the thing and somehow got to Reigns/Taker after Reigns had taken out Strowman. So many loose ends, so much bullshit, typical WWE. What a mess.

I was considering Orlando this year, but after how that show panned out and the potential Mania card.. I may just buy that new car. 

• Like 2

Just now, Nice Guy Eddie said:

After Ellsworth came out, I would have had Rollins come and pay off Ellsworth for his spot. Shouldn't Rollins have been do angry that he'd try anything to get back in the rumble?

Or the legal precedent of incapacitating someone and taking their spot, RE 2004. Which would have to be granted by the person who did it in the first place. 

Especially since they made the point of doing the "banned from the building" thing early, but that wasn't the only trope they threw a curveball on tonight. So, whatevs. 

42 minutes ago, Charlie M. said:

Charlotte put on a great performance against Bayley. She's so comfortable in the ring and good at reacting instead of acting. Bayley had a few nervous moments for sure.

Charlotte's "acting" took me out of the match. She's good on offense, but I think she kinda stinks at everything else.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Rick said:

I was considering Orlando this year, but after how that show panned out and the potential Mania card.. I may just buy that new car. 

Even if WM was shaping up to be one of the best ever, I wouldn't choose wrestling over a new car. That's just me though.

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, nofuture said:

They're not going to put the title back on Brock just for him to take another 4 month vacation like last time.

Why? It's just a prop. Do people actually believe Jericho/KO for the Universal Title will happen when the US Title is right there and held by Jericho? Goldberg and Lesnar are the two biggest names they have.

• Goldberg/Lesnar - Universal Title
  • Undertaker/Reigns
  • HHH/Rollins
  • Owens/Jericho - US Title
  • Orton/Wyatt - World Heavyweight Title
  • Styles/Shane O'Mac
  • Cena/Joe

Honestly I would prefer that, because Corbin is all kinds of awesome lately. I used to hate him in NXT, but he's really come into his own lately. He just needs to be more comfortable on the mic and he's golden.

• Like 1

If the means to an end here was having Bray Wyatt go over the hump once and for all, THEN it makes sense for Orton to win the Rumble. But it doesn't explain why everything that's going on in that story seems out of sequence. 

Like I said, curveballs to tropes. 

3 minutes ago, El Dragon said:

I actually LOVED Corbin/Zayn/Ambrose combo working together to eliminate Braun. Zayn gets some revenge, Ambrose gets to do something, and Corbin gets to say there's another monster around, do not fucking forget me.

I think Strowman's elimination was my favorite part of the rumble. Followed by Jack Gallagher.

I guess that doesn't say much about this year's rumble.

42 minutes ago, steve said:

Having said that, I tend to think this board over-estimates Joe's standing in the company jussssst a tad sometimes.

Only speaking for myself, my issue isn't just the lack of use for Samoa Joe.  My issue is that this year more so than maybe any year in recent memory, they have a loaded roster of new talent, NXT call ups, AJ Styles, Nak, Braun, Corbin.. Balor..  all these guys and none of them are in prominent roles for Mania. I mean, what the fuck.

How can they expect anyone to become a big star for future use if they aren't involved in the major Mania programs?  This is the time of year where everyone is watching. WM is the show that everyone sees. These guys should be given an opportunity to shine just as all the old ass part timers were given a century ago..

• Like 5

In a perfect world they'd spread out their part time attractions throughout the year, especially in this world of 16 Network Specials (né PPVs). But that, in modern terms, is now becoming the thing that sets Mania apart. Not necessarily make better, but different. And it has always been their priority to make WrestleMania bigger than everything else and right or wrong, this is how they've elected to do so

You have to question why Taker keeps coming back, he's rich, his health has been declining for a decade and he has nothing left to prove, he should have retired when the streak did. He looked awful in there, fat and bloated with the same mobility Mick Foley has. As much as I hate company shills for DDP Yoga, someone get the man a MAX Pack. He's one bad bump away from needing a knee replacement.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Yeah, Roman losing and being in the Rumble, but not AJ is just stupid beyond belief. Why wouldn't AJ demand a spot after losing his title, like Roman presumably did?

(kayfabe) As the former champion, AJ will get an automatic rematch anyhow, presumably in the Elimination Chamber if not before.  So there's no need for him to risk his health in the Rumble. (/kayfabe)

36 minutes ago, Raziel403 said:

I know I'm in the minority, but I thought Cena/Styles was terrible.  I'm over the Main Event Style of 20 minutes of Finisher, kickout, lay around,  repeat.

I liked the match, but I've had enough of "Super Indy Worker" John Cena.  Someone needs to show him some Bill Dundee matches, so we can get "Memphis-style Babyface" John Cena for a while.  

And Enzo might have fared better if he wasn't all tired from fucking that plate of chicken.

• Like 8

When did they finally figure out the difference between annual and anniversary? They mentioned at some point this being the 30th annual Rumble and later Michael Cole mentioned that next year is the 30th anniversary, they've always used the terms interchangeably in the past.

• Like 1

So, no surprise entrants and Randy Orton is back in the title picture. Fuck Randy Orton.  I can barely stand Roman Reigns, but I wish that Roman and Braun had been the last two guys.

I'm a little bummed that Bayley lost, but Charlotte is such a fucking awesome champ that my sorrow won't last long.

Nia Jax vs. Alicia Fox was a match.  Not sure if the right way to rebuild a monster heel is to have her beat the shit out of someone that the fans actually want to see the shit get beaten out of them.

Cena beat AJ. Fuck John Cena.

Cranky Neville winning by tap out fucking rules.

Gallows and Anderson are finally tag champs without ever having beaten the New Day for the straps.  I thought I'd be happy to see them get a run, but it has taken so long that I am pretty indifferent about it, especially since I kinda like the pairing of Cesaro and Sheamus.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, mattdangerously said:

(kayfabe) As the former champion, AJ will get an automatic rematch anyhow, presumably in the Elimination Chamber if not before.  So there's no need for him to risk his health in the Rumble. (/kayfabe)

I liked the match, but I've had enough of "Super Indy Worker" John Cena.  Someone needs to show him some Bill Dundee matches, so we can get "Memphis-style Babyface" John Cena for a while. 

"Nikki, you have to put up your hair in this match vs AJ."

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, mattdangerously said:

And Enzo might have fared better if he wasn't all tired from fucking that plate of chicken.

Except it fit perfectly with the story told here, which was "I have to throw every fucking thing I know at this guy in order to beat him because the normal stuff isn't working". Which is punctuated by the fact that he knew one AA wasn't going to cut it. 

42 minutes ago, Casey said:

Goldberg beat Lesnar in less than 2 minutes, eliminated him from the Rumble... and you think Owens is going to beat Goldberg, somehow? Goldberg is taking the title at Fastlane, and is going to lose it to Lesnar at WrestleMania. That's just how it's going to be.

Member the last time Brock held a title hostage?  I member. That sounds ridiculous. Owens reign has been pretty crappy anyway but to lose to a part timer and then have another part timer win at Mania only to either drop the title quickly after or hold it hostage for a few months...   is shit.

1 minute ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Member the last time Brock held a title hostage?  I member. That sounds ridiculous. Owens reign has been pretty crappy anyway but to lose to a part timer and then have another part timer win at Mania only to either drop the title quickly after or hold it hostage for a few months...   is shit.

I remember the last time Brock held the title "hostage"... and I didn't mind it. Just like I didn't mind Rollins being champion for a long time - a lot of people hated it, some people liked it.

Also, you might think it's shit, but did you just watch the Royal Rumble? Their specialty is shit, bruh. You're either getting Orton/Cena or telegraphing Orton splitting from Bray and facing him at 'Mania.

2 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Gotta give Lesnar the strap so he can finally put over Reigns and crown him the new Conquerer, pal.