DVDVR Message Board

Perro Aguayo vs. Sangre Chicana vs. El Faraón vs. Villano III (10/84)

Phil Schneider

• 3 weeks later...

Wow, I think I understood wtf was going on with this match!

Opening TODOS CONTRA TODOS and the two match ups were nothing exceptional, though there was some cool stuf in the beginning of Perro/Faraon, but the end to the Chicana/Villano match up was totally awesome and this ended with a really great bloody Chicana/Perro war.  That's ultimately what this match rests on.  Some awesome punch exchanges, especially one where Chicana hits a quick shot on Perro while he's falling down himself.  Same great dives, selling and in general just a top knotch brawl.  I didn't much care for the ending at first but was quickly mollified when the crowd rushed the ring and started cheering Chicana for losing the match for himself by punting Perro in the balls.  Post match is cool with Perro on his knees still trying to take it to Chicana while the crowd surrounds the ring.

I have a feeling there won't be a lot of people reading this thread before watching the match so a lot of people will probably be going into this with no idea what the rules are. I really hope they watch this with an open mind and try to piece them together as this match goes along because if they do they will find a lot to like here. The opening fall as I understand it was designed to set up what the initial matchups would be. The two wrestlers eliminated first had a one fall match against each other and the two winners of that fall had another one fall match against each other. Then the winner of both singles matches faced off in a 2/3 falls match. Oy.There was a lot of malice on display here and having the wrestlers who were not participating in a given fall constantly throwing in cheap shots gave this a pretty tense atmosphere. The Perro Aguayo vs Sangre Chicana match up that finished this lived up to the promise it showed on paper. It's not the best brawl on the set but we've already seen some of the best brawls in wrestling history on this set so the standards are high. It delivers blood, great punches, and some dramatic dives so I definitely liked it. As I've said before, nutshot finishes are the best bullshit finishes. This is a pretty epic kick to the balls right here. I love the way Sangre Chicana stands almost frozen with his own disdain for Perro Aguayo after he hits the foul. Aguayo may have won by DQ but with the crowd rushing the ring and chanting "Chicana" we all know who really won this match.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm just gonna say first off that the spot of someone getting hung under the bottom rope and having their head blasted into the apparently wooden Corona baseboards of the ring is one of the coolest little things I've seen in this set so far. 

Thank you to Tim and Graham for pointing out the rules to this one but if you pay attention it's pretty simple. Definitely adds to the overall chaos. Having the two first singles matches end up being rudo/rudo and tecnico/tecnico (I think? Villano does mug Sangre later) works great because when you get thrown out it turns into a lumberjack match with people of the opposite style beating on you. Faraon looks like he blows up and the rudo match ends quick. The tecnicos are too pissed at their rivals at first to get in the ring together but Chicana finally says "fuck it" and starts brawling. After Perro interferes Chicana hits a 1000 MPH tope suicida out of nowhere and we got Perro and Sangre. 

The THWACK of Sangre's head against the apron as he gets posted is quick noticeable. About the end, all I can say is "turnabout is fair play", and the fans surrounding and throwing money in the ring proves it.

Despite what it looks like on paper this really runs quick. I'm starting to run out of positive adjectives to describe these matches. 

I wisely read the other reviews to put the pieces together about the rules of this match. I’ve got it down pat now. The first couples of minutes were fun with guys getting their heads smashed into aprons. Then we got Perro-Faraon which was a fun little match-up. Some of the strikes were good in this and I loved Villano III being a fucker and costing Faraon the match. Chicana-Villano III was pretty much the same as Perro-Faraon, short and to the point, but it had an awesome finish with Chicana blasting Villano III with a dive to score the win on a count-out. The following showdown between Perro and Chicana was tremendous. Perro beats the fuck out of Chicana quickly and bloodies him. Some of his punches and kicks were brutal. Perro takes the first fall but Chicana comes back in the second and posts Perro. Perro’s bleeding now and getting his kicked. Chicana makes Perro submit to his finishing hold. The third fall is off the charts great with an excellent call back to earlier in the match where Chicana hits a dive and almost wins via count-out. Then we have both guys crushing each other with punches and Perro missing his top rope front flip which is great. The finish is awesome as Chicana is gives Perro what he wished for with a huge punt to the balls. The post-match is fun too with the fans crowding the ringside area and chanting “Chicana.”

This started out slow but this was all about Chicana-Perro. It was great final portion of the match. This is about four stars or so. It’s a B+ to an A-. Great and fun stuff.

• 4 weeks later...

I thought this was truly awesome. The first matches were fine, but everything after the Chicana tope was off the charts. I just love Chicana v. Perro one of my favorite matchups in wrestling history, just brutal awesome violent brawlers who match up perfectly. Chicana is going to end this set in my personal top 10 of all time.

4 Way Dance: Perro Aguayo Jr. vs. El Faraon vs. Sangre Chicana vs. Villano III (October 1984)This had some interesting rules as it started out with all four fighting in elimination rules which determined two singles matches and then after those matches the four fought again under elimination rules. This was all-action here as these guys were laying in the shots with the stars being Perrito & Chicana who when they faced off at the end beat the shit out of each other with the blood flowing. The fans were into Chicana heavily here as he was awesome at selling everything he was taking. Faraon & V-3 weren't slouches here to say the least and they held their own especially Faraon who brought more of a deliberate technical style here against the brawlers. Damn solid match.

When I get dropped into these matches, my first instinct is always.. "Oh crap, who the hell am I looking at." Thank god for Perro's boots. It feels like a Survivor Series match sort of, where things that wouldn't normally put guys away do here.

Anyway, a lot of stuff happens and a lot of it is cool and I have no idea what any of it is until we get to Chicana vs Perro. I think Chicana has to be one of the best brawlers I've ever seen. It's not even brawling really, because he paces it all so well, from what I've seen. It's not just going at it, it's knowing how to sell and time it all. Perro makes a great foil for him here. The body language on Chicana not diving is brilliant. This keeps going, a lot longer than I thought it would but Sangre Chicana just shines. I don't think Perro's quite as strong in the late match selling though his offense was great. And yeah, so far as bs ball-kick finishes go that was just great. Huge FU. The reply makes it even better because it's in super slow motion.

I almost wish this didn't have the first half, because while it had good guys, I just think it distracted from the back half which seemed awesome.

• 2 weeks later...

Lil' bit confusing to start.  Then the eliminations come a little quick.  Then it kinda slows down with Perro/Faraon.

But then...shit kicks into gear with the Chicana/Villano section.  I love how the dives here are less "look at my pretty dive" and more "I'm gonna launch myself at you".  

Also, second the love Curt gave for the use of the ring apron.  Nothing like slamming a dudes head into a board for effectiveness.  

This is my favorite match on this disc.  Sitting pretty high for me right now.

• 1 month later...

Wow, lots of love for this. Can't say I agree although I guess it depends. Why wasn't this split into matches? The 4 way and following singles matches were technically matches to themselves. If we have to group it all together I can't justify putting this so high up b/c even though the Chicana/Perro section was great I had no use for the short battle royale and first two singles matches. Just seemed like a waste of time and the interference by eliminated guys was annoying. But like others said - Chicana/Perro saved the day. Could watch those two punch each other forever. Chicana's fakeout tope suicidas are the best b/c the crowd gears up for it and then when he holds back they seem so disappointed. Finish was great with the low blow of death. Post-match antics were also great. Like I said - if we were just ranking that specific match it'd be higher on my list but if we're taking everything into account this will fall on my list as I watch more stuff.

• 1 month later...

The action before the final match-up took place was a bit confusing (I didn't know the rules) and disjointed.  Faraon didn't do much for me and relies on his high kicks too much.  At one point also he seemed to just let go of a submission and wilt to the mat.  I did love Chicana's 100 MPH tope prior to the eventual Aguayo/Chicana match-up.  Their match was very solid and hate-filled.  I liked that quite a bit, and the ending was very effective.  I'm not sure this will be in my top 20, but it's definitely top half.

• 4 months later...

Took a while to understand what was going on but I agree with PHil that from the senton of Chicana on, this was an epic war up there with the best stuff on the set so far. If Perro vs. Sangre singles match later on is like their final segement here, they seriously may be contending for my #2 spot and even knocking at the door of the first MS1 vs. Chicana match if I'm feeling contrarion. The punches in this were some of the best haymaker, all I got left punches in wrestling history. (****1/2)

• 3 months later...

It wasn't until they got to the fourth fall until I REALLY figured out what was going on here. But this was still pretty damn good. Lots of hate in this, as there was no temporarily teaming up, just everyone out to beat on each other. Chicana hit some INSANE dives, especially the one that took out Villano III. There were some awesome, Bill Dundee vs. Jerry Lawler type punch exchanges between Perro & Chicana, like Chicana's awesome duck a punch and then deliver one, and then the even better follow up punch where he gets hit and then hits this spinning while falling punch to take down Perro too. I was kind of disappointed with the finish, but as a rudos contra rudos match I guess I can see the logic. "We can beat on each other all night, but we're already both bloody and we've been doing this like 30 minutes so I'm just gonna kick you in the balls and call it a win for me." Definitely top 5 for the first 3 discs so far.