DVDVR Message Board

2017 CFL SEASON

RIPPA

On 2017-6-16 at 6:44 AM, Death From Above said:

It's always a little hard to judge from preseason but Edmonton looks to be a pretty exciting team this year. And I know this is, like, a very weird sports bar to set for a jump over, but the preseaon game with the Stamps last week might have been the most entertaining preseason football game I've ever seen. Was really a lot of fun.

I may be in the minority, but I'd rather my team was fun to watch and lost than won loads in a boring way.

23 minutes ago, Death From Above said:

Game started slow but it was always close and that was a fun finish. Plus the Riders lost, so that rules.

I can't hate the Riders because I feel sorry for their fans having to live in Saskatchewan. My friends did a trip up there and almost the entire province is nothing. I mean these places didn't even have a Tims, and do you realize how hard it is to go anywhere in Canada without a Tims within a 1km radius?

1 hour ago, sabremike said:

I can't hate the Riders because I feel sorry for their fans having to live in Saskatchewan. My friends did a trip up there and almost the entire province is nothing. I mean these places didn't even have a Tims, and do you realize how hard it is to go anywhere in Canada without a Tims within a 1km radius?

I was there once for the Labour Day Classic, and the Bombers actually won it that year, so I have been afraid to go back since.

The McDonald's across the street from our hotel was not open for breakfast on Labour Day. So fuck that province.

• Like 3

On Friday, June 30, 2017 at 8:53 PM, Dewar said:

Bought a ticket, booked a flight, I will be at new Mosaic tomorrow for Bombers/Riders.

I await a report on new Mosaic! Place looks great on TV, that and MTS make Tim Hortons Field look so second rate in comparison.

22 minutes ago, Death From Above said:

As far as I can see, I can say with a totally straight face that Saskatchewan has a better stadium than either Los Angeles NFL franchise. What a strange time to be alive.

They also have a better team as well.

• Like 1

On 2017-07-01 at 8:11 PM, sabremike said:

I await a report on new Mosaic! Place looks great on TV, that and MTS make Tim Hortons Field look so second rate in comparison.

In defense of Tim Hortons Field, I bet that Investors Group Field in Winnipeg and Mosiac Stadium in Regina both had more public funding to help make them look really nice.

New Mosaic is beautiful. Nicer than IGF. Any future CFL stadiums should be take this model, and tweak it for themselves. Only two things I did not like were the overly cheesy "13" banner they unfurled, and the "Pil Country" section. I realize they are trying to make that into a party section, but whenever someone would leave to get a beer, their spots get taken, so they end up having to stand at the top of the section until someone moves again.

Anyway, I had a great time, mostly due to Bomber victory. I left my seat after the first quarter (the one where the Bombers managed ZERO first downs) to get beer, and got some good natured "You going home already?" comments from their fans. I laughed and told them that more beer was required to watch such a terrible effort. The Bombers scored 37 of their 43 points going towards the end zone I was sitting in, so maybe I should have crashed Pil Country for the 4th quarter, and overtime could have been averted.

The Bombers are now 2-0 when I go to Regina for games. They really should pay for me to attend Labour Day.

• Like 1

My only gripe: they should've named it Gordie Howe Stadium after the single greatest sports figure the province has ever produced. That would've been cool.

Also you are right about the Tim. IIRC it was built without public funds (and if it did receive them the amount was minimal). 

On 7/4/2017 at 9:17 AM, sabremike said:

My only gripe: they should've named it Gordie Howe Stadium after the single greatest sports figure the province has ever produced. That would've been cool.

Also you are right about the Tim. IIRC it was built without public funds (and if it did receive them the amount was minimal). 

It was built entirely with public funds actually but since it was for the Pan Am Games they only got half the money Saskatchewan put in for their building

• 3 weeks later...