DVDVR Message Board

SDL - 1/24/17 - Luke Meets Abagail

Dolfan in NYC

Finally watched it. Cena's a media savvy guy who's bigging himself up a bit, but AJ's a really tiny, petty man. If Cena's the heel in your eyes, I can't imagine what AJ looks like to you. 

As usual, Cena is given too much shit. People beg for characters who aren't just black and white and then don't know how to react when confronted with one. And god forbid we suggest nuance where Cena is trying to hype himself up after his shitty 2016.

Yeah, their characterization of Cena is far from perfect. But as usual, I'm not seeing the outrage.

• Like 3

Just a random sidenote; after having a terrible sleep cycle, and waking up after my DVR shuts off, and I'm stuck on my local NBC (snoozing during local news, because I'm 50 years old), I've seen Cena (ha...ha) do quite a great job on Today. Not that he's an exaggerated character anyways, but he's pretty good as a co-host. He's made a great transition, better than anyone I can think of. 

• Like 1

I think I am just tired of the "because I'm Cena, that's why" nature of this title shot gimmick because it is some bullshit that HHH would pull.  It just feels beneath a guy like Cena to take this route to the championship..

• Like 2

Real good opener in Orton/Harper. Loved the Cena/Styles segment as usual. Thought Carmella was hilarious in that skit with Ellsworth, wasn't expecting to like that segment but it was entertaining. Glad to see Ziggler with a proper decisive win and in under a minute at that. Loved Alexa in segment with Naomi, she came off perfect as the champ and Naomi did well there too, made me interested in seeing a future title match between them.

5 hours ago, J.T. said:

I think I am just tired of the nature of the "because I'm Cena, that's why" nature of this title shot gimmick because it is some bullshit that HHH would pull.  It just feels beneath a guy like Cena to take this route to the championship..

I think (and hope) based on the way that last night went that AJ beats Cena again clean and Cena has to question his actions over the last few weeks leading to him "getting his mind right" for Mania. 

Or

AJ nutshots him for a DQ to steal Cenas dream of tying the record leading to him either winning the belt at EC or WM.

• Like 3

I was there last night, sitting in front of the guy who started the "What" chant at Mickie. He was everything I hate in a wrestling fan and I had to deal with his dumb chant attempts and stupid talking points all night long. He was so excited about Mickie, but started the What chant. When the promo was over (and I could hear almost none of it because of the chants) he said "I don't care. I love Mickie and will cheer for her no matter what. Even if she's heel". He was just chanting to chant. He kept saying how "I started that chant" or screaming real loud to say "Yo, I bet you could hear THAT on TV." His whole point was just to be able to hear himself when he watched the show. 

He had no idea 205Live was aired right after SD and somehow thought that it was an extended break before SD came back on for the advertised Cena/AJ main event dark match, like somehow SD would go off the air for 45 minutes and come back just for that match. He eventually figured it out, but it took a good 20 minutes before he accepted SD wasn't coming back on.

He was talking shit all through 205Live about how nobody cares, but totally bought in to the "hometown" Toledo guy Brian Kendrick faced. He was yelling about how Cedric sucks and then laughing saying "Man, this is why I love Toledo. Toledo just don't care." He was taking about how boring the Neville/Cedric match was, and then in the final stretch said "Yeah, but this is a pretty good match, though".

He was utterly convinced that Undertaker was coming out at some point all night long because "That's just how Shane likes top run things". All the way up through the end of the dark main event, he thought Taker was coming out. I've been to a lot of live wrestling, and I think this dude was the most obnoxious fan I've ever sat near in my life. Really took a lot of the enjoyment out of the night for me.

But other than that, Y'know, it was a pretty fun show to be at.

• Like 9

9 hours ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

Finally watched it. Cena's a media savvy guy who's bigging himself up a bit, but AJ's a really tiny, petty man. If Cena's the heel in your eyes, I can't imagine what AJ looks like to you. 

As usual, Cena is given too much shit. People beg for characters who aren't just black and white and then don't know how to react when confronted with one. And god forbid we suggest nuance where Cena is trying to hype himself up after his shitty 2016.

Yeah, their characterization of Cena is far from perfect. But as usual, I'm not seeing the outrage.

Username checks out.

I love Cena more than most here, but Cena not even acknowledging AJ by name when his job was to hype his match is poor match building.  He could have still clowned him to start, but It would have taken him 10 seconds to say, "All fun and games aside, i've got a tough match against one of my fiercest rivals, AJ Styles on Sunday".  If Cena is just wrestling some guy from Atlanta, who cares if you beat some nobody John?  You're only as good as your opponent. 

• Like 3

The fact John never said AJ's name on the show is terrible promoting as like you said if he wins he beats a nobody from Atlanta.  John might be the theoretical face here, but that was a dick move.

And @MonteCarl, I don't know how you put up with that guy.  I would have said something to him, maybe got into an argument and one (or possibly both) of us would have been ejected.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

You know, I'm still not convinced that you aren't actually John Cena. 

• Like 4

11 hours ago, J.T. said:

I think I am just tired of the nature of the "because I'm Cena, that's why" nature of this title shot gimmick because it is some bullshit that HHH would pull.  It just feels beneath a guy like Cena to take this route to the championship..

Cena is owed a title match I think, considering how he had Rollins beat before a celebrity cameo cost him the title. 

I do think every week AJ is not in a turkey suit or dressed like a little prince is a good one. 

I thought the promo with Mickie was funny, since it seems like every generation of women's wrestler has buried the previous as a side show since Wendi Richter. 

Man, I love Mojo Rawley that guy is SO high energy, glad to see him in the Rumble.  During the lumberjack match for example everyone else is standing around, and he's just bouncing around like a pogo stick, getting the crowd HYPED and into the match!  He's not the best in-ring talent by any means, but his sheer enthusiasm and charisma will take him far.  Looks like a Baron Corbin feud is in the works for him coming out of the Rumble, should do them both some good.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Horton Hears a Wooo!!! said:

I know it seems early, but it's really not too soon for Luke Harper to stop answering his phone.

I did like JBL bringing up if Harper was kicked out of the Family or if it was just Bray showing tough love. 

I would like a Harper/Bray program for WM, with Harper finally seeing Bray for the false prophet he is. I don't know when Erick Rowan is due back, but I'd like to see Harper & Rowan vs. Bray & Orton. 

Of course, I don't want to see the guy released, but Brodie Lee would tear it up again on the indies and in Japan.

2 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I did like JBL bringing up if Harper was kicked out of the Family or if it was just Bray showing tough love. 

I would like a Harper/Bray program for WM, with Harper finally seeing Bray for the false prophet he is. I don't know when Erick Rowan is due back, but I'd like to see Harper & Rowan vs. Bray & Orton. 

Of course, I don't want to see the guy released, but Brodie Lee would tear it up again on the indies and in Japan.

Me and Matt have worked on the basis Harper is the real prophet and Bray is the front man. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Horton Hears a Wooo!!! said:

I know it seems early, but it's really not too soon for Luke Harper to stop answering his phone.

Nah.  He's 100% useful.  Can put him in a feud with Corbin to teach young Baron a few things. Inevitable Wyatt reunion leading into Wyatt/Shield V2. Far too valuable to let go.