DVDVR Message Board

SDL - 1/24/17 - Luke Meets Abagail

Dolfan in NYC

I caught the end of the Orton-Harper match at the gym and Bray turning on Luke.  SAD!

Also, I loved Mickie's delivery completely throwing off the rhythm of the "What" chants.  (It's 2017. Have some god damned self-respect and stop it already.)

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I hope AJ having his balls cut off and being treated as an afterthought tonight means he's going to retain the title somehow. Otherwise, that was a brutal burial.

I feel like I'm reading these posts every time these two do a promo together. Can't wait to see what all the fuss is about this time. 

Harper vs Orton was so good. Orton doing a couple of jobs the last few weeks helped because I actually bought that he might lose again. Interested to see where they go with Harper from here. I also like Orton mixing it up lately adding in some extra suplexes here and there.

I felt kinda sad for Mickie James. Nobody in the crowd seemed to care or remember who she was. And her delivery was awful.

The AJ vs Cena showdown was very good. Yeah, Cena cut him down pretty good but that'll just serve to make the fans that much more passionate on Sunday. The outcome is in serious doubt now.

I enjoyed the Alexa/Naomi segment. Looks like we will finally have someone to help Becky out. The Mickie promo with Renee was decent but her motivations were much clearer on Talking Smack. 

I'm so ready for a proper Nikki/Nattie one on one match. 

Just now, Jamal said:

I enjoyed the Alexa/Naomi segment. Looks like we will finally have someone to help Becky out. The Mickie promo with Renee was decent but her motivations were much clearer on Talking Smack. 

I'm so ready for a proper Nikki/Nattie match. 

We will probably get it at the chamber PPV.

26 minutes ago, MADCAP said:

I need someone to explain to me the fuck John Cena is the baby face in this...

Kinda like how Hulk Hogan was a babyface, but in retrospect if you rewatch his run you realize Bobby Heenan was completely right about him and was a damn prophet and saw him joining the NWO 10 years in advance.

• Like 8

50 minutes ago, MADCAP said:

I need someone to explain to me the fuck John Cena is the baby face in this...

Yeah this was practically a heel promo. On the other hand in no way is AJ a face. Right now its just two guys being disrespectful assholes to each other. I'm fine with that.

EDIT: Oh and I'm really missing Daniel Bryan right now on Talking Smack. Shane isn't terrible or anything, but Daniel was such magnificent shit stirrer.Him being gone on a night when Cena makes a promo like tonight just feels wrong.

• Like 3

I had a post typed up but something happened so I'll just say quickly on the Cena/AJ stuff. I think a lot of what is going on is that Cena doesn't want to acknowledge the SummerSlam loss or he has excuses for it and he doesn't want to acknowledge that AJ was a big deal in Japan.

So that's why you see Cena saying things like "what? the indies?"  when talking about how he was built for the big moments but never says "Japan" and never brings up SummerSlam.

AJ, in his promos, always brings up SummerSlam.  JBL brings up SummerSlam.  JBL brings up Japan. AJ brings up Japan. 

It's just Cena who I guess maybe is trying to convince himself that none of that happened or trying to get under AJ's skin by not acknowledging all his has accomplished. 

I think the writing has been good enough to show that Cena is being a little delusional. Maybe he really doesn't believe he can beat AJ on Sunday. 

Now, if AJ DOES lose on Sunday and he's pushed down into the midcard for Mania...  I'll agree that it will be a HUGE waste. 

AJ deserves to be in a main event match at WM this year.  Period.

• Like 8

7 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

AJ deserves to be in a main event match at WM this year.  Period.

This. If AJ doesn't get a main then i dont know will i even make the effort to watch WM, him being near the top of  that card freshens things up a bit.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Burgundy LaRue said:

AJ gets to babysit Shane this year.  They've given themselves a surefire way to get to it, too.

If this does happen, I'm sure they think it's great and some fans will think it's great and probably even AJ himself will think it's great...   but just speaking for myself, I'd rather have seen AJ/Cena as the Mania title bout. I think we've seen enough of Shane now to see that he isn't going to be able to repeat King of the Ring or something of that magnitude that will have a lasting effect. 

Trust me, I wouldn't wish Shane on anyone at this point and I didn't hate his work back in the Attitude Era save for his crappy punches. He's a spot monkey who did fine. But whatever ability he had is long gone at this point and now he's this middle-aged dad trying to show his kids that their old man still has it.  When the kids don't care and probably trying to get Vince to buy them a yacht or something.

But I can see Styles retaining at the Rumble, losing at EC without being pinned, and blaming the loss on Shane who put together the match in the first place.  Meanwhile, they can easily reward Miz for his great work by giving him a short main title run with an EC win and Cena getting #16 at Mania.

• Like 1

Does Shane even watch the shows? I know Bryan has been blackballed from Talking Smack so Shane's the only option. Constantly asking for recap videos and talking in cliches, just awful.

But yeah, Cena has arrogantly belittled AJ's achievements, destroyed the champion of the company by referring to him as ''some dude from Atlanta'' on a national television morning talk show (could you imagine Steve Austin disparaging Triple H or The Rock in the same manner?) and has made up excuses for his losses pin pointing his perceived injuries for his shortcomings. I think AJ wins and we get a rehash of the redemption story we all know too well and Cena will earn another shot going into Mania, at least then this all makes sense. 

AJ being banished into midcard purgatory following one of the best years of his career would be mind-numbingly stupid.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

I caught the end of the Orton-Harper match at the gym and Bray turning on Luke.  SAD!

I really didn't expect this to turn out any other way.  I was not surprised and I am curious to see where the angle goes with Bray and Orton who is sentimentally attached to tiny trunks and refuses to dress like a proper doomsday cultist.

3 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Also, I loved Mickie's delivery completely throwing off the rhythm of the "What" chants.  (It's 2017. Have some god damned self-respect and stop it already.)

Mickie is awesome.  I cannot wait for the Single White Female angle to develop where Mickie dyes her hair flame red and starts wearing steampunk goggles to the ring like Becky does.

And I sing with the choir.  I have no idea how Cena gets to be the heel in this feud with AJ.  I am praying for Cena's murder via Avalanche Styles Clash in the title match.

• Like 2

Good show.  That said, I think my favourite moment in the ENTIRE show was Nikki Bella shouting "I am so SICK of you!" at Nattie in the middle of their pull-apart brawl, mainly because I've said it to various family members, friends and pets at various points and it seems like a silly thing to say in the middle of a heated brawl.

Have American Alpha been on the show in the last two weeks?