DVDVR Message Board

UFC on Fox 23: Shevchenko vs. Peña (1/28/2017) - Denver, CO (Pepsi Center)

Elsalvajeloco

I liked the build up promo where Shevchenko is talking about how she likes Denver because it reminds her of Kyrgyzstan except it doesn't have a nice lake.

Great armbar. She almost had it once and Pena made the mistake of staying in the same position.

Felt bad for Cerrone but I like Masvidal because he reminds me of all the non-UFC shows I used to watch. He fought in Sengoku, Bodog Fights, Strikeforce, early Bellator, etc. Good to see him get a big win.

That was a great main card with some fascinating finishes. Masvidal's reaction to winning was really awesome, good on him for beating a highly favoured star in his hometown. Ngannou vs. Arlovski went as expected. Poor, poor Arlovski, please retire. The main event was really neat in that the fighters were trying to figure each other out and Shevchenko outmaneuvered Pena. Pena's grappling game and strength are fucking awesome but she's still got a lot of room for improvement elsewhere. Shevchenko is the total package.

Shevchenko/Nunes going five rounds is going to be superb stuff. The two women who best represent how far WMMA has come at 135. Nunes is the better athlete and obviously more ferocious striker but if the fight goes beyond 15 minutes we'll see just how her gas tank holds up, which is pretty much the big question surrounding her. Yay for fun fights.

1 hour ago, Charlie M. said:

I liked the build up promo where Shevchenko is talking about how she likes Denver because it reminds her of Kyrgyzstan except it doesn't have a nice lake.

Great armbar. She almost had it once and Pena made the mistake of staying in the same position.

Felt bad for Cerrone but I like Masvidal because he reminds me of all the non-UFC shows I used to watch. He fought in Sengoku, Bodog Fights, Strikeforce, early Bellator, etc. Good to see him get a big win.

Watched the Road to the Octagon before the show tonight, and I love the concept of a MMA fighter just having a camp in a different place everytime. I think Valentina training with Rose in Colorado helped her because I think it's good to have someone push her who isn't her sister. There was a good chance that she was going to be on her back in the fight, and she just didn't lay there flat on her back. She was actually punching from the bottom and being active as opposed to waiting to get stood up. As soon as the armbar presented itself, she went for it and then went belly down to finish it. If you compare it to Pena's attempt at the end of the first round, it's virtually night and day because Pena was relying so much on breaking Valentina's grip defense. Valentina had a couple good ways to defend. When Valentina rolled with hers, Pena had no choice because she had to figure out a way to step over. This allowed Valentina to cinch it in tight. Too many times we've seen fighters go belly down, and they don't have any leverage in maintaining the arm. They just let their opponent slip out and still end up on the bottom. With this one, Pena had no chance but to tap or get her forearm broken.

52 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

That was a great main card with some fascinating finishes. Masvidal's reaction to winning was really awesome, good on him for beating a highly favoured star in his hometown. Ngannou vs. Arlovski went as expected. Poor, poor Arlovski, please retire. The main event was really neat in that the fighters were trying to figure each other out and Shevchenko outmaneuvered Pena. Pena's grappling game and strength are fucking awesome but she's still got a lot of room for improvement elsewhere. Shevchenko is the total package.

Shevchenko/Nunes going five rounds is going to be superb stuff. The two women who best represent how far WMMA has come at 135. Nunes is the better athlete and obviously more ferocious striker but if the fight goes beyond 15 minutes we'll see just how her gas tank holds up, which is pretty much the big question surrounding her. Yay for fun fights.

I have no problem with Arlovski sticking around, but he has to re-evaluate his career. He isn't breaking into the top 5. Let him be a mainstay for Europe cards and fight mid level (top 15-25 ish) heavyweights. Let him fight Oleksiy Oliynyk. Let him fight the winner of Marcin Tybura vs. Luiz Henrique. Allow him to be a strong gatekeeper so if it comes down to facing another top level prospect like Ngannou, he has some wins on his docket.

As much I like watching Cerrone, I think it's time for him to take time off. Fighting someone as talented and motivated as Masvidal with basically three weeks of training was a really bad idea. He had a hard fight with Matt Brown, and I don't think his body was going to allow him to time something like he did to Brown as the great eraser. Most importantly, Jorge Masvidal wasn't going to allow him to do that. Masvidal was just way too sharp. Also, good on Masvidal going out to Colorado for his camp. I think he could have done that all night. Elevation didn't affect him at all.

I would be down for Knight vs. Choi. That would be a great fight for the next Fox card.

• Like 1

Shevchenko looked outstanding tonight and she looks like she gets better with each fight.  I know she's an elite level kickboxer and Muay Thai practitioner, but it's almost like where the hell did they find this girl?  Confrontation with Nunes was also awesome.

1 minute ago, TheVileOne said:

Shevchenko looked outstanding tonight and she looks like she gets better with each fight.  I know she's an elite level kickboxer and Muay Thai practitioner, but it's almost like where the hell did they find this girl?  Confrontation with Nunes was also awesome.

There is a reason they hired Mick Maynard, and it isn't because they finally wanted a matchmaker over 5'5".

On 1/4/2017 at 1:49 PM, supremebve said:

Jorge Masvidal just called Cerrone out, that is a fight I'd love for them to make.  The problem is, Masvidal is not the type of fighter you put in the ring with a contender.  Masvidal probably will never be a contender, but he's tough as nails, good at everything, and is the exact type of guy who would take great joy in fucking up all of the UFCs plans. 

Masvidal knocks out Donald Cerrone and goes on a fun mini-run to the top of the division like Matt Brown did a couple years ago.

Hate to say I told you so, but I told you guys.