DVDVR Message Board

Oscars 2017

The Natural

A duplicate envelope???  That makes more sense, but how does that even happen?

I mean, it's the last award of the night!  If there are TWO envelopes left on the table, you'd think someone might scratch their chin and take a closer look.

I found it in bad taste to have Woody Allen and Roman Polanski live by satellite telling their fellow academy members to leave Milo alone as he's suffered enough.

*Note, this didn't actually happen, but if I was writing this shit it would because I'm insane.

10 hours ago, EVA said:

A duplicate envelope???  That makes more sense, but how does that even happen?

I mean, it's the last award of the night!  If there are TWO envelopes left on the table, you'd think someone might scratch their chin and take a closer look.

There's one on each side of the stage. Why are people blaming Beatty when Dunaway was the one who announced it?

No way it was a work, at least not with Beatty and Dunaway being in on it. They would NEVER allow themselves to be a national joke on purpose. Someone slipping them the wrong envelope on purpose? I don't think it happened but I could believe that. . . . .

43 minutes ago, Ace said:

There's one on each side of the stage. Why are people blaming Beatty when Dunaway was the one who announced it?

I would not blame Dunaway either. From her point-of-view Beatty was goofing around and while he was handing her the card she took a very quick glance on the card, saw "La La Land" and announced it as the winner.

• Like 2

It was a really shitty produced show overall too. I was watching it on delay from my DVR, so I was able to skip the bad Kimmel segments, but those were an embarrasing waste of time, from the candy to the bringing the tour bus into the FUCKING OSCARS! Whoever wrote that shit should be fired into the sun. Also it made the show run long so I missed the best picture fiasco(my dumbass only set  a half hour overrun, and for some reason I had it on the wrong channel so I couldn't rewind it) . . . .

4 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

I find it odd Warren is getting hammered for this but nobody is blaming Faye

He set her up.  He looked at it,knew it was the wrong envelope, and rather than calling attention to the mistake or doing ANYTHING else, just passes the buck to Faye, who just reads it without really looking.  On the list of fuckups, hers is the smallest. . . .

• Like 1

In watching some clips, it looks that Beatty knew something was wrong and hesitated.  Seemed like he was showing Dunaway the card to point out the mix-up. Dunaway took over from there and announced it before anyone had a chance to figure out what was happening.

The envelope in Beatty's hand clearly said Best Actress.  Which means the card likely said Emma Stone for La La Land. Dunaway just looked at the movie name and announced it.  That there were likely no producers' names on the card should have given her a clue that something wasn't right. I think Dunaway thought Beatty was trying to rib her a bit and made the announcement based on that.  She jumped the gun instead of waiting for Beatty.

Either way, some heads are going to roll for this mess. Because someone handed Beatty the wrong envelope.