DVDVR Message Board

Oscars 2017

The Natural

44 minutes ago, Paco said:

...and, while I think it deserves the nomination, I kinda feel that it's the same with "Audition".
I'm sure there was an extra push within The Academy since it would involve Emma Stone singing on the show.
The other nominated song (and shoe-in) "City of Stars" is not much of a showcase for her.

But I'm happy because I think it's a far superior song from the film.

I agree that Audition should've been nominated. I don't think City of Stars should've been. Then again, I think La La Land is getting a bigger push than it deserves. I'd toss City of Stars for We Know the Way from Moana.

10 minutes ago, mattdangerously said:

People actually think Deadpool should have been nominated for Best Picture?  Is that the only movie they saw last year?

Well it's more I think people want "variety" in the Best Picture nominations and since you can nominate up to 10 movies for Best Picture (and this year 9 were nominated) so why not give Deadpool the 10th spot just so they can self-congratulate themselves on LOOK WE ARE HIP!!!!

At least that is most of the arguments I have seen online

DEADPOOL received several nominations in the various guild awards (including the Best Picture equivalent from the Producers Guild), indicating it was well-respected within the industry.  A LOT of people who's job it is to speculate on these awards thought it had a good chance of getting a nomination, and be well-reprsented in general, because of that.

As it turned out, SUICIDE SQUAD got more nominations, because...who the fuck even knows sometimes.

I think 'Hell or High Water' is probably the big surprise here (Aside from Amy Adams not getting a nomination).  I don't think many were expecting it to turn up in the 'Best Picture' category, nor did I hear much talk about Jeff Bridges getting one.

I'm quite amused by the #oscarssowhite movement being seemingly responded to by lots of nominees for black actors (Washington, Negga, Ali, Davis, Harris, Spencer), a black director and films (Moonlight, Fences, Hidden Figures) while being slightly mitigated by the re-opening of the arms of the academy for noted civil rights fan Mel Gibson.

HELL OR HIGH WATER getting nominated just illustrates what a weak year this was for film.  I mean, it's a fine movie, but no way that cracks the top 10 against a stronger field.

For that matter, HACKSAW RIDGE was pretty tepid Oscar bait that wouldn't have gotten a bite most years.

3 hours ago, Ace said:

I agree that Audition should've been nominated. I don't think City of Stars should've been. Then again, I think La La Land is getting a bigger push than it deserves. I'd toss City of Stars for We Know the Way from Moana.

Well, consider the subject matter. It's one of Hollywood's favorite topics: themselves.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Paco said:

The 2017 Oscar Nominations

Best Picture

Arrival

Fences

Hacksaw Ridge

Hell or High Water

Hidden Figures

La La Land

Lion

Manchester by the Sea

Moonlight

Best Director

Denis Villeneuve, Arrival

Mel Gibson, Hacksaw Ridge

Damien Chazelle, La La Land

Kenneth Lonergan, Manchester by the Sea

Barry Jenkins, Moonlight

Best Actor

Casey Affleck, Manchester by the Sea

Andrew Garfield, Hacksaw Ridge

Ryan Gosling, La La Land

Viggo Mortensen, Captain Fantastic

Denzel Washington, Fences

Best Actress

Isabelle Huppert, Elle

Ruth Negga, Loving

Natalie Portman, Jackie

Emma Stone, La La Land

Meryl Streep, Florence Foster Jenkins

Best Supporting Actor

Mahershala Ali, Moonlight

Jeff Bridges, Hell or High Water

Lucas Hedges, Manchester by the Sea

Dev Patel, Lion

Michael Shannon, Nocturnal Animals

Best Supporting Actress

Viola Davis, Fences

Naomie Harris, Moonlight

Nicole Kidman, Lion

Octavia Spencer, Hidden Figures

Michelle Williams, Manchester by the Sea

Best Original Screenplay

Taylor Sheridan, Hell or High Water

Damien Chazelle, La La Land

Yorgos Lanthimos and Efthymis Filippou, The Lobster

Kenneth Lonergan, Manchester by the Sea

Mike Mills, 20th Century Women

Best Adapted Screenplay

Eric Heisserer, Arrival

August Wilson, Fences

Allison Schroeder and Theodore Melfi, Hidden Figures

Luke Davies, Lion

Barry Jenkins and Tarell Alvin McRaney, Moonlight

Best Film Editing 

Arrival

Hacksaw Ridge

Hell or High Water

La La Land

Moonlight

Best Cinematography 

Arrival

La La Land

Lion

Moonlight

Silence

Best Production Design

Arrival

Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them

Hail, Caeasar!

La La Land

Passengers

Best Costume Design

Allied

Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them

Florence Floster Jenkins

Jackie

La La Land

Best Make-up and Hairstyling

A Man Called Ove

Star Trek Beyond

Suicide Squad

Best Original Score

Jackie

La La Land

Lion

Moonlight

Passengers

Best Original Song

Audition, La La Land

Can’t Stop the Feeling, Trolls

City of Stars, La La Land

The Empty Chair, Jim: The James Foley Story

How Far I’ll Go, Moana

Best Visual Effects

Deepwater Horizon

Doctor Strange

The Jungle Book

Kubo and the Two Strings

Rogue One

Best Sound Editing

Arrival

Deepwater Horizon

Deepwater Horizon

La La Land

Sully

Best Sound Mixing

Arrival

Hacksaw Ridge

La La Land

Rogue One

13 Hours

Best Foreign Language Film

Land of Mine

A Man Called Ove

The Salesman

Tanna

Toni Erdmann

Best Documentary Feature

Fire at Sea

I Am Not Your Negro

Life Animated

OJ: Made in America

13th

Best Documentary Short

Extremis

4.1 Miles

Joe’s Violin

Watani: My Homeland

The White Helmets

Best Animated Feature

Kubo and the Two Strings

Moana

My Life as a Zucchini

The Red Turtle

Zootopia

Best Animated Short

Blind Vaysha

Borrowed Time

Pear Cider and Cigarettes

Pearl

Piper

Best Live-Action Short

Ennemis Interieurs

La Femme et le TGV

Silent Nights

Sing

Timecode

No surprises and I am reaching for gasoline as we speak!

18 hours ago, RIPPA said:

And the Trolls nomination is solely so Justin Timberlake can be on the show

You say that like its a bad thing.

18 hours ago, Pete said:

*hands @J.T. some rags and a can of gasoline*

BURN, MOTHER FUCKER, BURN~!!!

The only "snub" that gives me pause is not seeing Finding Dory in the Best Animated Feature category, but I am not terribly brokenhearted because Disney is well represented in that category with Moana and Zootopia.

The Best Actress category is packed, but I wish there had been room for Amy Adams's work in Arrival.

Too bad that there is no Best Adapted Song category because I'd like to see some award love for Regina Spektor's cover of While My Guitar Gently Weeps from the Kubo / Two Strings soundtrack.

The Lobster really deserves to win Best Original Screenplay.  It is fucking great..

On 1/25/2017 at 2:17 AM, J.T. said:

No surprises and I am reaching for gasoline as we speak!

You needed to include the entire quote box for that? I thought I taught you better padawan 

• Like 2

The Deadpool nomination talk was weird. I could see best adapted screenplay maybe. Even with the expanded best film category of recent years, if Dark Knight didn't get a nod then Deadpool and nearly any other comic book film won't. 

Again, it wasn't really so much "people think it should get a nom" as it was "it keeps getting nominations from organizations that are often a good indicator/bellwether for the Oscars"

Especially the Producers Guild nomination

On Tuesday, January 24, 2017 at 9:52 PM, zev said:

Michael Shannon is an Oscar nominee. I've been expecting this to happen since I saw him in Bug.

This is actually his second nomination.  His first being in 2009 for 'Revolutionary Road' in which he stole the attention/spotlight completely away from Kate Winslet and Leonardo DiCaprio.

Without having seen 'Nocturnal Animals' (It disappeared from local theaters the day I was going to see it after 6 days here!), I really hope he wins to see the Twitter meltdown afterwards after he declared that all Trump supporters just needed to die.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, caley said:

This is actually his second nomination.  His first being in 2009 for 'Revolutionary Road' in which he stole the attention/spotlight completely away from Kate Winslet and Leonardo DiCaprio.

Without having seen 'Nocturnal Animals' (It disappeared from local theaters the day I was going to see it after 6 days here!), I really hope he wins to see the Twitter meltdown afterwards after he declared that all Trump supporters just needed to die.

Somewhere around the 1:55 mark of this clip, song selection is key.

• Like 1

The allegations are gathering steam.  Constance Wu tweeted about them, and Brie Larson practically ran off the stage after presenting Affleck with an award without congratulating or hugging him. Couple that with Denzel knowing how to work the room alongside a strong performance himself, and suddenly Best Actor is up in the air.

• Like 1

After watching The Nice Guys over the weekend, I feel like Angourie Rice not getting nommed for Supporting Actress qualifies as a snub. Possibly Adapted Screenplay, Costume Design, and Make-up/Hairstyling as well, but 100% she deserved a nomination.

• Like 1

On 02/02/2017 at 3:54 PM, S.K.o.S. said:

Denzel won Best Actor at the SAG Awards. Casey Affleck suddenly doesn't seem like a mortal lock to take the Oscar.  The grumbling about the sexual assault allegations may have reached the tipping point.

First time I've honestly heard about these sexual allegations.

Want Emma Stone to win Best Actress. Fine with other results unless I'm blanking on something.