DVDVR Message Board

Javier Cruz, Impacto y Solar II vs. El Dandy, Franco Colombo y Panico (10/84)

Phil Schneider

• 3 weeks later...

I must have missed something or be going crazy because by my count this match ended with one fall a piece.

Either way, this is really good.  First appearance of the man who will be tearing up the later disks.  Here he's throwing beautiful punches and hitting two of the nastiest looking sentons I've ever seen.  Second fall (I guess?) is awesome with Dandy working over Cruz with great punches followed by Impacto staging a one man comeback to ward the rudos off Cruz, then Cruz firing himself back up and he and El Dandy going at it.  In the end one of the technicos is eliminated followed by one of the rudos leaving Dandy and Cruz to duke it out for the win and the move Cruz hits to win is something of a holy shit moment, very cool.

Yeah, I definitely think we are missing something here because I also only saw the finish to two falls. We were definitely JIP at the beginning and there was also a sudden clip not too long after that. I didn't hear anything about it on the commentary though I wasn't listening very close to this one either. What we do see is pretty good though being incomplete hurts it. This set has had lots of great punches so far and this match was full of them. Dandy especially has a nice mix of different punches. The air he gets on those sentons are pretty impressive as well. He's only a few years into the business here but he already looks great. Trios matches so often have multiple people being pinned at once or in quick succession that it's really cool to see them have wrestlers eliminated at different times. Having each team lose one man made that final stretch of Dandy vs Cruz pretty exciting.

Dandy teaming with two CMLL bookers is kind of funny considering his relationship with the CMLL office in the last dozen years or so.

• 2 weeks later...
Yeah, this has to be clipped to the second fall. There's some great miscommunication spots with Panico and Columbo (one of whom, I believe Panico, looks like a bit like Herodes with the chops and bulk. Actually upon close-up he kind of looks like Brodus Clay!) Man, Dandy looks young here, and those two sentons of his are just vicious with the airtime he gets and the impact. You can put that second one up against a perfect Macho elbow. While Dandy and Cruz beat on each other there's a huge explosion like pyro went off and a woman screams which is really weird. The two just blast the shit out of each other with awesome punches. Impacto saves and just whales on people. Last bit is super fast-paced with big dropkicks and pinfalls. The story of the young rudo and young tecnico fighting it out backed by two grisled vets is great and the speed of this one is really high. 

Well, Dandy-Cruz rules. These two brought the great in this match. Solar II brought some good too. The other guys were good when they got some time but the focus of this match was Dandy-Cruz. Everybody had awesome punches which was cool. Dandy’s bump to the floor early ruled. Then we had Cruz taking a tremendous beating and the best posting ever in which he looked like he was shot out of rocket into it. Dandy’s high impact offense in this looked lethal and his top rope senton is fucking brutal. The last fall is full of awesome punching exchanges between everybody and Cruz taking a few wild bumps. This goes into elimination mode and we’re left with Dandy-Cruz. Cruz has Dandy on his shoulders but runs to the second turnbuckle and falls back with an electric chair. Cruz gets the win for his team and Dandy has to be carried to the back by his partners. This was a lot of fun.

The Dandy-Cruz exchanges were enough to make this over three stars. It’s around a solid B. There’s missing parts of this I think which hurts this a bit. I wanted more out of this but it was still very good.

• 4 weeks later...

Javier "El Monarca" Cruz/Impacto/Solar II vs. El Dandy/Franco Colombo/Panico (October 1984)Hey it's Dandy and the EMLL booking committee. Dandy immediately takes an insane bump to the floor not even a minute into the match. After some good action, Dandy just crushes Solar & Javier with a senton bombs off the top rope to take the fall. The Dandy show continues in the 2nd as he is outshining everyone else here in everything he did. Solar II hit some nice Quebradoras and a nice tope suicida on Panico. Dandy would try for a victory roll but Javier turned into a sweet Electric Chair to take the 2nd fall. Dandy sells it like he got killed laying like a fucking statue prompting the referee to stop the match as he couldn't continue. This was the Dandy show and it was very fun.

So at first glance, I have nothing new to offer. Dandy and Cruz were like watching someone fight their evil twin. It made it a little hard to follow sometimes, but just about everything Dandy did was great. Those sentons were insane. The electric chair finish was cool. I loved the punching around the ring segment too. It was weirdly paced with the lack of a third fall. Ideally I'll rewatch it with that in mind.

• 1 month later...

Didn't really do much for me. Was just an average undercard trios match. Felt like a big Dandy fan just wanted it on the set to have some of his earlier stuff represented. He was fine but his partners were a waste of time and it's still painful to watch them as a fan of current CMLL. Impacto was the dirt worst and was lost many times. Probably won't finish at the bottom of my list because it wasn't BAD but it was a very insignificant match I won't ever watch again so it'll be down near the bottom.

• 2 months later...

I was confused by the structure of this match, and didn't know who most of the people were until toward the end of the match.  Dandy's sentons were indeed awesome, and I also liked the spot when Dandy jumped down on Cruz as the was stretched out across the apron.  Ouch.  Dandy's sell at the end of the match was nice as well.  Otherwise, I didn't connect well with this match, and I think it will end up in my bottom half when the rankings are done.

• 4 months later...

Those sentons were insane. This was the Dandy vs. Cruz show but got me eagerly anticipating their hair vs. hair match later. The other four were guys I am unfamilar with and while fine, they didn't do a lot for me either. This also seeemed odd as I still am unsure whether we got two falls only for the match (ref called off the whole thing due to damage) or there was clipping. Either way, probably a mid-range ballot pick. (***1/2)

• 3 months later...

I think people might be being a little harsh on this match. The finish definitely did feel very abrupt due to the clipping though which left the ending feeling flat. El Dandy looked really good in this though and maybe it's just because he's stiffing the hell out of everyone but he has the best looking offense of the set so far. I didn't mind that this match was a total Dandy vs. Cruz showcase since some of the other guys didn't look very good especially Impacto. Unless the rest of the trios matches are going to blow the earlier stuff out of the water, this should finish in my top half.