DVDVR Message Board

ALL ENCOMPASSING STAR WARS THREAD

RIPPA

29 minutes ago, J.T. said:

Is it that they can't help or won't help?  If anyone deserves to go see this movie on the biggest screen possible, it's you.

The idea of you not being ln Leia side buns in the theater on opening night makes me sad.

Bit of both. Older brother has two late teenage aspergers sons he's co parenting with his ex wife while being the editor of a local newspaper. Older sister lives in Colorado. Younger sister ghosted us 10 years ago. 

I'll wear my Leia buns and Jedi robes, don't you worry. ? 

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, JLSigman said:

Bit of both. Older brother has two late teenage aspergers sons he's co parenting with his ex wife while being the editor of a local newspaper. Older sister lives in Colorado. Younger sister ghosted us 10 years ago. 

I can dig it.  My relationship with the ex-wifey going on the rocks was a blessing in disguise, because now I'm here more often to help my sister with my mom and dad.  Dad has advanced stage Lewy body dementia and my mom is mildly diabetic, has some hypertension issues, and is just plain ornery. 

My poor sis was fraying at the edges for a bit there, but now she's in a little better shape that big bro is around.

I love my folks but even at the best of times and with my sister's help, it's a fucking chore.  But what else can you do when it's your turn, but do good by them like they did by you?  Time for me to cowboy up, right?

I love my kid brother, the big time VT professor, but he's a bit useless in a panic and is more robot than human, so its best he stays in Blacksburg while people with measurable amounts of empathy for actual people handle this shit.

Everyone has their cross to bear but mine seems like it's made of balsa compared to your oak constructed monstrosity.  Hang in there as best you can and like I said, we all love ya.

I'll wear my Leia buns and Jedi robes, don't you worry. ? 

THE FORCE WILL BE WITH YOU, ALWAYS~!

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, RIPPA said:

That being said - if this choice had to have been made 20 years ago I think it would have been different

I have followed your epic journey through Mass Effect since the beginning so no, you'd have made the same choice.

Your love will survive Cats.  Yes, it will.

Edited by J.T.
  • Haha 1

New episode of The Mandalorian dropped today. Really liked it and it did start linking everything together, just as we were discussing how it didn't seem like they were. I hope the last episode is extended a bit more than the typical 40 minutes. I feel like to tie up everything in one more episode will need at least a full hour, if not more. 

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, MonteCarl said:

New episode of The Mandalorian dropped today. Really liked it and it did start linking everything together, just as we were discussing how it didn't seem like they were. I hope the last episode is extended a bit more than the typical 40 minutes. I feel like to tie up everything in one more episode will need at least a full hour, if not more. 

Is there anything in this episode that ties to Rise of Skywalker?  There were rumors that was the reason for the move to Wednesday.

15 minutes ago, Log said:

Is there anything in this episode that ties to Rise of Skywalker?  There were rumors that was the reason for the move to Wednesday.

Other than a link to a "sneak peak" (which I haven't watched), not that we know of right now. 

The move was so that it wouldn't get lost under all the Rise of Skywalker stuff, which is a smart move. This episode is AMAZING. 

• Like 5

Other than a link to a "sneak peak" (which I haven't watched), not that we know of right now. 

The move was so that it wouldn't get lost under all the Rise of Skywalker stuff, which is a smart move. This episode is AMAZING. 

That feels like believable, but dumb, studio logic. Even today it’s coming out in the middle of the hype for the new movie, and most of the diehards will see the movie tomorrow, not Friday. Any momentum the quality of this builds will be washed away by the movie. Plus, it’s a 40 minute episode, it’s not like people can’t see both in a day.

As for ROTS, and the whole new trilogy in general, it’s mind-boggling that they launched this without an overarching vision and story, choosing instead to let each director basically play “Yes, and...” with each new installment. Only it sounds like instead of playing “Yes, and...” with the third installment, Abrams is behaving like Michael Scott doing improv.

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

Look I moved reaction stuff to the Episode 9 thread because things were getting a little too specific about JJ and possible plot points.  

Be sure to limit what you say here to I liked it, I didn't like it, I am going to see it, and Holy fuck Baby Yoda is adorable. 

• Like 4

My two-year-old son has just discovered Star Wars.  He's mostly a Darth Vader (Dark Mater) fan.  He saw Baby Yoda before Yoda, so he calls the original "Daddy Yoda".  We watched the original trilogy over the past couple weekends.  When someone dies in a movie, my wife will say "______ didn't make it".  My son has said, at least once a day, for the past week, "Yoda didn't make it."  Then he shakes his head sadly.  

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

Today's episode was so damn good, and I can't wait for the finale. Baby Yoda is the cutest thing......

Spoiler

even when he is force choking people. Did not see that coming though it kind of makes sense the kid would tap a little closer to the dark side with the people he has been hanging around with.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, JonnyLaw said:

That feels like believable, but dumb, studio logic. Even today it’s coming out in the middle of the hype for the new movie, and most of the diehards will see the movie tomorrow, not Friday. Any momentum the quality of this builds will be washed away by the movie. Plus, it’s a 40 minute episode, it’s not like people can’t see both in a day.

As for ROTS, and the whole new trilogy in general, it’s mind-boggling that they launched this without an overarching vision and story, choosing instead to let each director basically play “Yes, and...” with each new installment. Only it sounds like instead of playing “Yes, and...” with the third installment, Abrams is behaving like Michael Scott doing improv.

Part of this is driven how Disney was obstinate about meeting the 2015 Deadline. Bob Iger and Disney promised shareholders a movie a year and the first movie before the end of 2015. 

Secondly, part of it is driven by Kathleen Kennedy's overall management. I'm not going to demonize her. She certainly had her work cut out for her. Bob Iger didn't want her in the role, and she's trying to manage the unmanageable expectations of fans. But they have hired and fired way too many directors and writers from the sequel trilogy alone.

Take a look at this Benioff and Weiss fiasco. How many times has Lucasfilm made a big public show out of hiring all these talents to do new Star Wars movies only to break up with them later? She's clearly no Kevin Feige.

• Like 1

My best friend who is like a brother to me converted me to Star Wars but not to the extent I have to see Star Wars at the cinema. I'll wait till Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker comes out on DVD. I thought it be fun to rank the Star Wars live action films with the caveat that I've been up since 2:30am this morning without sleep doing my Christmas card run up to the hospital I've gone to since I was three.

1. The Empire Strikes Back (1980)

2. Star Wars (1977)

3. Return of the Jedi (1983)

4. The Force Awakens (2015)

5. Rogue One (2016)

6. Revenge of the Sith (2005)

7. The Last Jedi (2017)

8. The Phantom Menace (1999)

9. Solo (2018)

10. Attack of the Clones (2002)

#1-2 are locks. May switch The Force Awakens with Rogue One as TFA was too similar to SW. Rogue One gets a lot of goodwill from me for those two Darth Vader scenes especially the slaughter of the Rebel Alliance Soldiers. Revenge of the Sith is highlighted by Anakin Skywalker's turn to the Dark Side of the Force, Palatine vs. Yoda and Kenobi vs. Anakin I. The Last Jedi is the most divisive Star Wars film or any film ever I'd say. Attack of the Clones is the worst Star Wars movie. It's commonplace seeing The Phantom Menace battling AofC for last place. The Phantom Menace has Qui-Gon Jinn/Obi-Wan Kenobi vs. Darth Maul and John Williams Duel of the Fates going for it.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, StuntmanCrowley said:

Well, this is going to be a long 8 days until the next one.  Goddamn.

My kids (8-year-old daughter and 2-year-old son) have started watching with me.  At the end of this week's episode, my son sat there with his mouth hanging open in shock and my daughter yelled, "No!  They can't do that!"

• Like 1
  • Haha 1