DVDVR Message Board

ALL ENCOMPASSING STAR WARS THREAD

RIPPA

And are awesome.

There's so much money to be made in a Vader being a badass movie, and with the franchise struggling, you gotta think that's a better option than a Boba Fett movie that was a bad idea from the beginning.  

• Like 2

They don't want to make a Vader being a badass movie because he's the villain. And his story has been told, literally from beginning to end.

He can't have a movie where he has a character arc, because... what would lead him from being the Sith loyalist he was at the end of RotS, to being the Sith loyalist he still was in R1/ ANH. Does he try to rebel against the Emperor, get shut down and decide to not rebel against him again? Or is he just hunting Shaak Ti for 95 minutes? Might as well just say Force Unleashed is canon.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AxB said:

They don't want to make a Vader being a badass movie because he's the villain. And his story has been told, literally from beginning to end.

He can't have a movie where he has a character arc, because... what would lead him from being the Sith loyalist he was at the end of RotS, to being the Sith loyalist he still was in R1/ ANH. Does he try to rebel against the Emperor, get shut down and decide to not rebel against him again? Or is he just hunting Shaak Ti for 95 minutes? Might as well just say Force Unleashed is canon.

Man, you're super underselling how awesome the Vader comics are. Vader is nearly an anti hero just trying to gain favor with the Emperor. The fucking Emperor has more faith in cyborgs with force-ish powers. Do you think Vader would just stand for bullshit like that? Fuuuuck no. Give me the scene where he fucks up all of those guys. 

9 hours ago, AxB said:

I'm with you on this. I'm behind on the current comic, but even the one before it didn't have any arcs that would work for the movie format.

2 hours ago, Victator said:

Wasn't Force Unleashed canon a few years ago. Before Baby JJ tried to throw all the toys away. 

Yes - well at least the main (lightside) ending.

There was DLC/darkside that wasn't because in that Starkiller kills Chewie and Han which (at the time) couldn't happen

There was also supposedly talk that Starkiller almost became canon because they originally planned on him being in one of the seasons of Rebels

• Like 1

A big reason I think Obi-Wan Kenobi movie is a bad idea is because there are too many restrictions. Just off the top of my head:

1. You need a damn good reason to Kenobi off Tatooine and away from Luke

2. He can't encounter Vader or Darth Maul. They can't know he's alive until later.

3. He can't really encounter the Empire without revealing or risk revealing his true identity

4. He'd probably be forced to stay on Tatooine...which let's face it, is boring. We've seen enough of Tatooine throughout this series. 

10 hours ago, AxB said:

Except for that part where he goes from whiny crybaby being cut to pieces by Obi-Wan and "NOOOOOO" to baddest MoFo in the Galaxy.

The Prequels showed us none of the mythical Anakin/Vader from ANH. Clone Wars and Rebels did this, in part. But still, they're cartoons, not full blown movies.

That scene from Rogue One extended to feature length is what ROTS should have been. Billions of dollars.

• Like 1

Exactly.  I’ve seen young lion Vader and comedy tag match Vader - Rouge one dropped a 2 minute clip of 5 star main event Vader and I want some unedited classics damnit.

If they can’t figure out a story that would make that work, this franchise would have no hope anyway.  

• Thanks 1

He can't have 5 star main events though, because there's nobody for him to work with. Vader between RotS and ANH is like Kawada after the Noah split, if Fuchi and Mossman had also left.

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...

Couple of TV series notes

- Nick Nolte is joining the cast of The Mandalorian

- The series focused on Cassian Andor (Deigo Luna's character from Rogue One) has secured Stephen Schiff as showrunner (Schiff was writer and producer on The Americans)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, RIPPA said:

- IG-88 (the robot bounty hunter) will be a part of The Mandalorian

I nearly walked into a wall this morning because I stared at my phone in childish awe after seeing that come across my IMDB feed.