DVDVR Message Board

ALL ENCOMPASSING STAR WARS THREAD

RIPPA

I just saw the end of Rebels tonight. Thought it was pretty good and interesting in how things were handled. Not sure what Filoni's next series is, but I like the general idea people have mentioned of covering post-ROTJ/pre-TFA timeline.

On 3/9/2018 at 6:51 AM, Matt D said:

I ultimately had to spoil myself on the end of Rebels. The younger kid is too young and doesn't want to watch it. The older kid is too old and doesn't want to watch it. I might have been able to slip one episode in between everything but not the entire last run.

They are kids, just bully them. 

Finally got to see The Last Jedi yesterday. Wow. Nice callbacks to Empire Strikes Back. A couple of characters I was unsure about (and one of them I was wrong about). Seeing Yoda was awesome. Rose was awesome. Couple missed steps here and there, no doubt, especially with Poe Dameron's plot. My main questions were: 1) Why did the big ship going into lightspeed destroy all those ships? 2) Why did the projection Luke used kill him? and 3) How in the name of my incomparable space princess are they going to do IX without Carrie Fisher?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, CSC said:

Solopiercer looks like a lot of fun.  

There is a lot of stiffness in the line delivery. Something makes me feel I'm gonna like action more than the acting and dialogue.

40 minutes ago, Mickie Zeidler said:

Stilted dialogue, you say?  In a Star Wars movie?  I WILL NEVER BELIEVE IT, SIR!

A lot was made of Alden Ehrenreich for months and yet the new full trailer, he doesn't stand out because his delivery is the same as everyone else. I dunno if this cut was done purposefully to hide him or bring everyone down to his level. Either way, the critics are probably going to skewer this film in a way where Disney and Kathleen Kennedy are going to do their best to distance themselves from this.

20 hours ago, RIPPA said:

I can't stop watching Chewie one-hand spike piledriving that dude

I am happy that it looks like the producer of Solo are trying to get back to because droids don't rip people's arms out of the socket when they lose Chewie rather than the cute cuddly let me scratch him behind the ears Chewie we've dealt with since Return of the Jedi.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Next Stars Wars animation will be a pre-Force Awakens series called Resistance. Its supposed to be anime inspired and focused on a fighter pilot spying on the growing First Order. BB-8, Poe, and Phasma will be involved. Isaac and Christie will be voicing their characters.

• 2 weeks later...

Jon Favreau has confirmed that the "setting" for the Star Wars series he is writing will take place 7 years after the Battle of Endor and will feature "all new characters"

• Like 1

On 5/11/2018 at 9:25 AM, RIPPA said:

Jon Favreau has confirmed that the "setting" for the Star Wars series he is writing will take place 7 years after the Battle of Endor and will feature "all new characters"

7 years after Battle of Yavin actually. Making it more like 3-4 years after Endor. 

Clickbait websites jumped the gun on the Lando news.

[Update: Premiere has now adjusted their article to say: “Following the publication of our article, Lucasfilm informs us that there would have been a misunderstanding between our journalist and Kathleen Kennedy. ‘We would love to tell a story about Lando Calrissian one day, but it’s not relevant, it would be fun to tell the story of Han and Chewie ...’” A different translation puts that new quote as “We would love to tell a story about Lando Calrissian one day, but this is not news. It would also be fun to tell the story of Han and Chewie.”]

Whiney fanboys can put their "Kennedy is an SJW" pitchforks away for now.

3 hours ago, TheVileOne said:

7 years after Battle of Yavin actually. Making it more like 3-4 years after Endor. 

So basically just a little after Luke and The Gang destroy the 2nd Death Star, kill Vader, and topple the Empire? Shouldn't things be "happy" during that time? Doesn't seem like much to base a series around. There are no more Jedi. The corrupt Empire is dead and the Republic is being rebuilt. Would it basically be how the First Order rose back up from the ashes of the Empire? I dunno, just seems an odd timeframe to set a new series.

The idea that Star Wars always has to be about some variation of the Empire and the Rebellion and the Jedi and the Sith is one of the things that's always held the franchise back (not from making billions, obviously, but creatively).

It's a big galaxy out there.  If this series is about ANYTHING else, it will be a breath of fresh air.