DVDVR Message Board

ALL ENCOMPASSING STAR WARS THREAD

RIPPA

Timothy Olyphant may be my favorite actor. If nothing else, he's up there with dudes like Nick Offerman for people I would choose as my spirit animal. The fact that he's part of this makes me so excited. I hope it isn't just for one episode.

• Like 2

We did Solo today. 7 year old called Maul in advance just because it was literally the only thing that made sense. It's funny that because the 95% lens into Star Wars for her was Clone Wars/Rebels so far that she picked up on that as a no-brainer when most of the world were baffled. She even knew the Pyke Syndicate. 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

1. I don't think I said this, but people should watch the SFX episode of Mandalorian Behind the Scenes (Forget what it's called). The stuff about the special 360 chamber they created is really cool and basically how all movies will be made in a few years. 

2. 8 year old and I are almost to the end of Rebels season 2. It's been a slow go as we watched Niko s2 and basically all of Avatar: the Last Airbender (which the rest of the family had seen but not her). Not too much to say. She's well aware that the season is leading up to Ahsoka vs Vader. She knows from the promo images that Maul shows up sometime but maybe not yet. I think it'll be good 

• Like 3

They're doing a Bad Batch spin off, animated for Disney+.

The series follows the elite and experimental clones of the Bad Batch (first introduced in The Clone Wars) as they find their way in a rapidly changing galaxy in the immediate aftermath of the Clone War. Members of Bad Batch -- a unique squad of clones who vary genetically from their brothers in the Clone Army -- each possess a singular exceptional skill which makes them extraordinarily effective soldiers and a formidable crew. In the post-Clone War era, they will take on daring mercenary missions as they struggle to stay afloat and find new purpose.

I think we skipped those episodes because I didn't think the kid would be into them. I'm sure a lot of people will be happy about this though.

• Like 2

The Bad Batch was a fun action movie arc with some solid character work for Rex. It just felt out of place at the end of the series. It really should have happened a season or two before the last.

• Like 1

We finished S2. I had seen these a while ago actually. Probably the only part of Rebels I'd ever seen. They're better in context. You get a little frustrated you didn't see Maul and Ahsoka's elevator ride up together. It's so interesting how Vader didn't immediately go to the mental leap of using the Temple (and Ahsoka) to destroy the Emperor. I think he just wasn't there yet. 8 year old was yelling at the screen at Ezra repeatedly.

Edited by Matt D
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, Matt D said:

It's so interesting how Vader didn't immediately go to the mental leap of using the Temple (and Ahsoka) to destroy the Emperor. I think he just wasn't there yet.

The Emperor annoyed Vader regularly, but he didn't want to actively take him down until after A New Hope when he learned about Luke. You should check out Gillen's Vader comic if you have the chance. It is quite good.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Eivion said:

The Emperor annoyed Vader regularly, but he didn't want to actively take him down until after A New Hope when he learned about Luke. You should check out Gillen's Vader comic if you have the chance. It is quite good.

And the Emperor took about every attempt imaginable to marginalize, test, and cast doubt on Vader. The Emperor was such a dick.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Craig H said:

And the Emperor took about every attempt imaginable to marginalize, test, and cast doubt on Vader. The Emperor was such a dick.

In a weird way I think Palpatine was almost annoyed Vader wasn't actively plotting against him at times. Like I guess it was expected of the pupil to eventually overtake the master and the lack of effort in that area displeased him. That and he always knew that egging Vader on would get Vader pissed and accessing more of the dark side.

Edited by Eivion
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, Eivion said:

In a weird way I think Palpatine was almost annoyed Vader wasn't actively plotting against him at times. Like I guess it was expected of the pupil to eventually overtake the master and the lack of effort in that area displeased him. That and he always knew that egging Vader on would get Vader pissed and accessing more of the dark side.

Yeah, I think you're 100% right. 

Man I love that Darth Vader series so much.

• Like 1

Having read the Gillen series, the sense I get is that it wasn't Luke showing up so much as the failure/destruction of the Death Star that did it. It lit a fire under him. That's the way it's portrayed in the modern canon now at least. If anything, maybe Obi-Wan's death (and Ahsoka's apparent demise and encountering Maul again, sure) had more to do with it than the discovery of Luke.

Edited by Matt D

1 hour ago, Eivion said:

The destruction of the Death Star certainly lit a fire under him, but it was his discovery of who Luke really was that made him actively plot against Palpatine. 

Let me put it this way: I bought that more before seeing this episode of Rebels, if that makes sense. The ONLY thing I think might work is that so much of what drove him was Padme and his vision of her, and he sees Luke not as a perfect dark side apprentice or something to take pride in and foster, but as a piece of Padme, the last chance at something lost to him that he, in his own mind, felt like he had done everything for (when, of course, it had been his own self-centeredness that he was acting for instead). 

But obviously, there's no way you can tap into that just by watching IV-VI. Though at the same time, you can't read into the "Always there are two" bits there either.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Craig H said:

I think a clone of Padme recently showed up in the comic books, but I don't know much more than that. I'm waiting for the TPB.

Read the first two issues of that one. Its a minor spoiler but

Spoiler

its her double from Phantom Menace.

In general though a lot of what drove Vader in the early years of the Empire was his obsession with Padme. He never really got over her loss.

Edited by Eivion
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Eivion said:

Read the first two issues of that one. Its a minor spoiler but

Reveal hidden contents

its her double from Phantom Menace.

Wait...how does that make sense?

Spoiler

It's been forever since I saw Phantom Menace, but don't they show Kiera Knightly's Padme dying?

1 minute ago, Craig H said:

Wait...how does that make sense?

Hide contents

It's been forever since I saw Phantom Menace, but don't they show Kiera Knightly's Padme dying?

No, they never show her after TPM (she lived).  The one that died in AToC was a different double.]/spoiler]

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 7/14/2020 at 2:41 AM, Eivion said:

I haven't gone into the new lore yet, but at least in the old lore, it was because the Force needed living organic material, and when Vader got fried on Mustafar, his resulting cybernetics that he needed to sustain him severely decreased his potential power, so much that he pretty much ended up capping his power, which still fell short of Sidious.  Hence, why when Luke showed up, Sidious switched to him because he had as much potential to surpass him as Vader did pre-suit.  

That, and Vader used most of his power just to keep himself alive.  He died less from his suit failing, but more from his redemption cleansed him of the anger and hate he was using to channel the Dark Side to keep him constantly healing, so he finally succumbed to the injuries he got 20 years previous. 

• Like 4