DVDVR Message Board

ALL ENCOMPASSING STAR WARS THREAD

RIPPA

1 hour ago, Matt D said:

We did a rush through the first 7 episodes of Rebels yesterday because it was raining. These are the ones we saw before deciding to go back. The show is so much more accessible than Clone Wars. Seven year old daughter is on top of things, including remembering that it was Luminara who was Bariss' Master, etc. Her biggest question is why we don't see all these Rebels as part of episodes IV-VI. She starts distance/online learning for school this week (finally) though, so we'll probably slow down a bit from here on in.

I think Rebels works better since it's more like the swashbuckling action-serial action/adventure style that made the original trilogy so iconic and appealing. Smaller main cast, it's further away from the prequels so it looks and feels more like classic Star Wars.

• Like 5

6 hours ago, JonnyLaw said:

Hypothetically, if someone was going to start with the cartoons, which one should they start with/what order should they go?

Clone Wars, Rebels, Resistance. They are actually in the order they came out in.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, JonnyLaw said:

Hypothetically, if someone was going to start with the cartoons, which one should they start with/what order should they go?

If you go online you can find the episode order to watch the Clone Wars in chronological instead of release order (through season 6, anyways), but it's not necessary for a first time viewing. 

There are a couple of instances where watching in release order will make some stuff not make sense, but it's nothing HUGE. Really the only arc that comes to mind is the one involving 99 the clone.

Today's episode was as chilling and heartbreaking as I thought it would be.  I can't help but think how different things would be if Mace hadn't been a dick to Ahsoka, and she could have told them what Maul told her.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, RandomAct said:

Today's episode was as chilling and heartbreaking as I thought it would be.  I can't help but think how different things would be if Mace hadn't been a dick to Ahsoka, and she could have told them what Maul told her.

I had forgotten a few things from AOTC having not seen it in a decade. The first was the bitchiness over the Jedi Master decision. The second was that Mace confronted Palpatine because Anakin actually told him what was going on. I had completely forgotten that. I guess the point is that telling Mace stuff only gets you so far.

• Like 1

Caught Shattered. Another good episode. Kind of of surprised Windu was such an amazing dick to Ahsoka. Loved Yoda giving him the evil eye for it. I dug how Order 66 played out here and can't wait to see how it ends Monday.

• Like 1

That final scene is one of the best in all of Star Wars, because you can draw so many conclusions from it.  Was it Vader making sure Ahsoka was dead? Was it some small part of Anakin still in there hoping to find her alive or get some closure? So well done. The biggest gut punch of all though, is all those Clone troopers wearing the Ahsoka helmets and they are trying to kill her.

I loved Maul's Jason Kidd chest pass with the helmet wiping out that one clone though lol

• Like 4

This was Taika's answer if he were ever tapped to direct a Star Wars movie 

We'll find out now, because he's officially been announced as being the director of a new SW movie.  No release date, but there are SW movies slotted for '22, '24, and '26. 

• Like 2

And because it is Twitter - the first response goes HE WILL RUIN STAR WARS LIKE HE DID THOR!!! complete with a SAS gif

I was doing it in compliment of your post - partly to acknowledge Krysty Wilson-Cairns and partly to recognize the people who hate Thor

On 5/1/2020 at 12:10 PM, Matt D said:

I had forgotten a few things from AOTC having not seen it in a decade. The first was the bitchiness over the Jedi Master decision. The second was that Mace confronted Palpatine because Anakin actually told him what was going on. I had completely forgotten that. I guess the point is that telling Mace stuff only gets you so far.

That's from ROTS, but Mace was already going to Palpatine since Grevious had been killed to get him to return powers to the senate. Mace told Anakin to stay out of it because he felt the conflict inside him.

Since it was May the 4th, the 7 year old was excited and pushed us to watch the last four episodes of Rebels season 1. (We'd gone through the four previous over the weekend). She was excited about Ahsoka as the reveal since it wasn't someone she guessed, but then she went "Hey! She has to tell us where Rex is!" so that was her major concern. Next surprise will be Maul, but we're going back to the last season of Clone Wars first. We're going to skip the Bad Batch episodes though.

• Like 3

The last episode of Clone Wars was fantastic, and I agree that it needs to be put together into a film. Honestly, I just want a follow up on what happened to Rex and Ahsoka afterwards. 

11 minutes ago, Matt D said:

We're going to skip the Bad Batch episodes though.

Its a solid action movie-esque arc and has nice character bits for Anakin and Rex. I actually wouldn't suggest skipping it.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, RIPPA said:

And because it is Twitter - the first response goes HE WILL RUIN STAR WARS LIKE HE DID THOR!!! complete with a SAS gif

Taika ruined Thor?  People really are idiots, aren't they?  He's the only guy I can count on to inject humorous moments into a Star Wars plot without them seeming stupid or out of place.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Robert Rodriguez confirmed last night that he directed an episode of The Mandalorian in Season 2

I can't wait to see the firefight in that episode.

On 5/5/2020 at 11:33 AM, Chaos said:

I started Succession over the weekend, and I am 4 episodes into it. I'm not sure how I can avoid ending every meeting with "fuck off" at work for the foreseeable future.

My wife and I just finished binging Succession.  I know it’s supposedly based on the Murdochs, but I liked to imagine Logan was based on Vince, Kendall was Shane, and Shiv/Tom were Steph and HHH.