DVDVR Message Board

ALL ENCOMPASSING STAR WARS THREAD

RIPPA

16 hours ago, RandomAct said:

So was that Ahsoka/Maul faceoff a top 5 fight in the Star Wars franchise? That was just amazing stuff. The current episodes just have me shook, given their concurrence with RotS.

I've seen people say they can pin exactly where in Revenge of the Sith this fight takes place, because apparently you hear a Sidious scream right at the beginning of the fight. So by the end of the episode, we are like 5 minutes from Order 66. 

• Like 2

This season sort of encompasses my issue with Clone Wars, sort of the general swings in quality. The writing in the last two episodes were epic, feature quality stuff. 

Before hand we had a total useless filler arc with Ahsoka with the Martez sisters that was absolutely awful. It felt like a total waste considering this is the final season, you have 12 episodes left, and you waste a third of it on nonsense filler. You could've finished that arc in two episodes max.

But man these last two episodes, it was good stuff. And they seeded a lot of arcs that are concluded later in Rebels which we've seen before.

IMHO, you can complain about some of the decisions and things Disney has done with Star Wars, and there have been some major screwups. But for the most part, I think most of the content has been fairly good to great. And what I would argue is that there were a lot of decisions pre-Disney by Lucas that were also equally horrendous and bad for the brand overall.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, TheVileOne said:

This season sort of encompasses my issue with Clone Wars, sort of the general swings in quality. The writing in the last two episodes were epic, feature quality stuff. 

Before hand we had a total useless filler arc with Ahsoka with the Martez sisters that was absolutely awful. It felt like a total waste considering this is the final season, you have 12 episodes left, and you waste a third of it on nonsense filler. You could've finished that arc in two episodes max.

IMO, the first arc could've been three episodes and lost nothing, and the Ahsoka arc definitely was originally planned for sometime in the sixth season and could've been shorter. While I logically understand why they chose to show it, since when it was originally conceived they didn't know they were getting canned, and needed now to reintroduce a couple of the main players, it's just not was us fans are wanting now. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, JLSigman said:

IMO, the first arc could've been three episodes and lost nothing, and the Ahsoka arc definitely was originally planned for sometime in the sixth season and could've been shorter. While I logically understand why they chose to show it, since when it was originally conceived they didn't know they were getting canned, and needed now to reintroduce a couple of the main players, it's just not was us fans are wanting now. 

You simply could've done a one-off story where Ahsoka helps two gangster sisters who have had to fend for themselves most of their lives and she gets sought out by the Mandalorian dissidents at the end. Instead that storyline dragged on AND on and then went in circles.

Not to mention, they had that unfinished Quinlan Vos/Ventress story they never got to finish. Also the Boba Fett/Cad Bane story. Granted, I'm not sure how good that Fett/Bane story would've been since it basically made Fett look like a virtuous superhero. 

Edited by TheVileOne

We finished S6 of Clone Wars this morning. All of the Yoda stuff was top notch even if you could see Lucas’ hands all over it. 

Im sticking to my plan. We stop now.

Episode III. Solo. Rebels Season 1. Back to Clone Wars S7. Then Rebels Season 2.

It’s a Catch-22, as it sounds like S7 sets up and ties in really well to Episode III but it’s obviously made for older people who have already seen Episode III and Rebels. 

I’m navigating this with a kid.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, TheVileOne said:

Not to mention, they had that unfinished Quinlan Vos/Ventress story they never got to finish.

Was finished as a book.

2 hours ago, Matt D said:

It comes chronologically before Rebels right? That was my concern. But if I have the freedom to do so then yeah, maybe we skip it for now and come back to it. Good call.

Chronologically speaking there is really no reason to catch any of Rebels before S7.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Eivion said:

Chronologically speaking there is really no reason to catch any of Rebels before S7.

It’s all about protecting the Ahsoka-Fulcrum reveal now. Like why you show a kid V before III. But since we are doing Rebels season one first, Solo might have made sense. But there’s nothing in there that’s essential.

Edited by Matt D
  • Like 2

We did Episode III. Very jarring to go back to Christiansen after so long with Lanter. Much more whining and much less effectively annoying swagger. I don't think it really syncs up all that well. They do a good job seeding things with Clone Wars and it's almost too good considering how the payoff in Ep. III works out (being mainly about 1.) them not making him a Jedi Master and 2.) the fear of Padme's death and assurance that only Palpatine could help him prevent  it). You see a lot of severe jealousy about Padme in Clone Wars but they had Anakin advance almost too much in that show that it feels like a weird regression. Likewise Padme being a wilting flower in Episode III that spends most of her time being scared or crying or what not. And then all the animosity between Obi Wan/Anakin/Dooku/Grevious is just shot, especially with Grevious. 

The 7 year old spent the whole back half of the movie wanting to know how Anakin got hurt. She also insisted we call him Vader and not Anakin from the Windu moment on (they made you attached to the Younglings in Clone Wars so that was what I was most worried about). At certain points she seemed mortified for Anakin and his bad decisions and had to look away, more out of embarrassment than anything else. She followed mostly everything though and went nuts for Order 66 and the tumor. I think she was most shocked by the Plo Kloon death. She was shocked Yoda just ran away too. She cracked up when Anakin and Obi Wan forced pushed each other across the room for some reason and loved it when Yoda force pushed the Emperor. 

The 18 year old was watching some of it too and he had to leave the room laughing for the "Did you ever hear the Tragedy of Darth Plagueis the Wise?" moment due to the meme. The wife, as always, hates the prequels except for Obi Wan. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Matt D said:

We did Episode III. Very jarring to go back to Christiansen after so long with Lanter. Much more whining and much less effectively annoying swagger. I don't think it really syncs up all that well. They do a good job seeding things with Clone Wars and it's almost too good considering how the payoff in Ep. III works out (being mainly about 1.) them not making him a Jedi Master and 2.) the fear of Padme's death and assurance that only Palpatine could help him prevent  it). You see a lot of severe jealousy about Padme in Clone Wars but they had Anakin advance almost too much in that show that it feels like a weird regression. Likewise Padme being a wilting flower in Episode III that spends most of her time being scared or crying or what not. And then all the animosity between Obi Wan/Anakin/Dooku/Grevious is just shot, especially with Grevious. 

The 7 year old spent the whole back half of the movie wanting to know how Anakin got hurt. She also insisted we call him Vader and not Anakin from the Windu moment on (they made you attached to the Younglings in Clone Wars so that was what I was most worried about). At certain points she seemed mortified for Anakin and his bad decisions and had to look away, more out of embarrassment than anything else. She followed mostly everything though and went nuts for Order 66 and the tumor. I think she was most shocked by the Plo Kloon death. She was shocked Yoda just ran away too. She cracked up when Anakin and Obi Wan forced pushed each other across the room for some reason and loved it when Yoda force pushed the Emperor. 

The 18 year old was watching some of it too and he had to leave the room laughing for the "Did you ever hear the Tragedy of Darth Plagueis the Wise?" moment due to the meme. The wife, as always, hates the prequels except for Obi Wan. 

I can't even identify the Anakin of Clone Wars to the Anakin of the films. They aren't the same character. Had they dialed up Anakin's charm and made him more of a dashing, heroic rogue who sometimes had some darker impulses and dialed back all the creepy stalkerish whiny behavior, the prequels probably wouldn't have been so disliked. 

No one in Lucasfilm will ever say it, but the Clone Wars staff clearly recognized they couldn't build a long-running TV show around the Anakin that's depicted in the films. As a result, they share almost nothing in common other than the fact that they are both named Anakin.

If Lucas had still been involved I wonder if he would have rewritten Episode III in Clone Wars's ending. 

What changes George Lucas will make are hard to predict.

Edited by TheVileOne

3 hours ago, TheVileOne said:

No one in Lucasfilm will ever say it, but the Clone Wars staff clearly recognized they couldn't build a long-running TV show around the Anakin that's depicted in the films. As a result, they share almost nothing in common other than the fact that they are both named Anakin.

Which is why i wonder if George would have said screw it and rewritten III in Clone Wars. He worked on the show a decent bit. He just had Filoni there to help keep him guided and focused. Seems clear the Anakin of the series is what Lucas likely wanted. Why he failed so spectacularly in getting him right in the movies i have no idea.

Edited by Eivion
  • Like 2

55 minutes ago, Eivion said:

Which is why i wonder if George would have said screw it and rewritten III in Clone Wars. He worked on the show a decent bit. He just had Filoni there to help keep him guided and focused. Seems clear the Anakin of the series it what Lucas likely wanted. Why he failed so spectacularly in getting him right in the movies i have no idea.

Because George Lucas isn't anything close to being a good director and Hayden Christiansen was miscast from the start and also not very good.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, RandomAct said:

To be fair, I always thought that Christiansen pulled off the scenes after the dark side turn pretty well.  Otherwise, yeah, his portrayal of Anakin pales in comparison.

I would call his acting style in those scenes "sweaty."

• Haha 4

We did a rush through the first 7 episodes of Rebels yesterday because it was raining. These are the ones we saw before deciding to go back. The show is so much more accessible than Clone Wars. Seven year old daughter is on top of things, including remembering that it was Luminara who was Bariss' Master, etc. Her biggest question is why we don't see all these Rebels as part of episodes IV-VI. She starts distance/online learning for school this week (finally) though, so we'll probably slow down a bit from here on in.

• Like 1