DVDVR Message Board

ALL ENCOMPASSING STAR WARS THREAD

RIPPA

35 minutes ago, Eivion said:

Gungans vs. Grievous moment is one of the more cool moments in the series. 

I don't know if they're more confident or more ambitious or what, but there are a lot of set pieces and bits of animation that stuck out so far in S4. It's not necessarily what we're looking for right now (we want to get Maul already) but it helps.

14 hours ago, Matt D said:

I'm not looking forward to the Krell stuff. Adults might like the clone-focused episodes the best but they're hard sells for the 7 year old. It's a FOUR PARTER too.  

The Krell stuff is also so heavy handed and blatantly telegraphed from the beginning. I mean, one of the Clones is named DOGMA? I'd say you can safely forward through most of it.

9 hours ago, JLSigman said:

The Krell stuff is also so heavy handed and blatantly telegraphed from the beginning. I mean, one of the Clones is named DOGMA? I'd say you can safely forward through most of it.

I like what Jenn is selling here. Is there anything we would really need to know in these?

EDIT: we did a fast forward through the interminable action scenes and hit most of the drama. 

Edited by Matt D
  • Like 1

Ok. We also made it through the Slaves 3 parter. They were certainly episodes. The moment where R2 shoots them the lightsabers and you get the brief flourish of music was great. Also good was Anakin losing it at the end of the first part when he caught the slaver and Dooku not wanting to screw around with the jedi and just wanting them dead. Now it's just the Mandalorian episode and the Obi Wan in disguise stuff before we hit the Nightsisters and Maul. Seems very doable.

• Like 2

On 2/19/2020 at 8:42 AM, JLSigman said:

So I've gotten through Season 3 of Rebels, and can I just petition Disney and Kathleen Kennedy to let Dave Filoni and his crew write most everything Star Wars from now on? 

We gotta get rid of Kennedy first.

Then Filoni and Favreau can run everything.

Edited by Raziel
  • Like 2

22 hours ago, Raziel said:

We gotta get rid of Kennedy first.

Then Filoni and Favreau can run everything.

But if Kathleen Kennedy is gone who will be the one to hire the hawt flavor of the month director?

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, JLSigman said:

First episode of season 7 of Clone Wars is not bad and sets up a horrible tone for the first story arc. Hopefully we'll get more on these new guys next week.

So are they doing this one episode a week like Mandalorian? That is somewhat disappointing. Have't caught the episode yet,but seeing as how the season will end I'm not surprised the tone is a bit terrible. Ahsoka's post Jedi arc will probably the lightest stuff this season.

• Like 1

We burned through the last seven episodes of S4 this weekend. I've pushed it hard and the wife is sick of the show (Though she likes Mandalorian fine and isn't even always there when we watch). Kid is doing ok. She was excited to get to Maul and marked out for the Red logo at the start of Brothers. A Friend in Need worked for her being an Ahsoka episdoe with another kid in it. The Obi Wan in Disguise stuff generally worked. She was looking forward to an Anakin/Obi Wan showdown and liked the Cube episode. The last one of that was suitably epic. Then the Nightsisters stuff, Ventress as a bounty hunter episode with Boba Fett, and Opress/Maul two-parter all hit, though everyone was confused how Mother Talzin was so active after becoming one with the dark side fog or whatever. 

At this stage, I'm more excited for the Fulcrum reveal than the Vader/Luke's Dad reveal, I think.

As the season goes on, someone help me figure out whether to show her Ep III or Clone wars S7 first though.

12 hours ago, Matt D said:

As the season goes on, someone help me figure out whether to show her Ep III or Clone wars S7 first though.

Depending on when "Execute Order 66" happens, it may be a thing to watch part of season 7, then Revenge, then the rest of season 7. From the preview trailers there will be re-done scenes in the cartoon to fold in some new lore (Depa Billaba and young Caleb Dume are shown at least once), so it may depend on how confused/irritated she would be with those changes.

The comics have generally ranged from decent-good. Not sure how the books are, but it sounds this initiative will focus mainly on books and comics. i have a little more faith in them working on those especially since they seemed to actually run with proper meetings and planning unlike the films..

I've generally enjoyed most of the New EU comics, the Darth Vader series in particular. Actually, I'd say that Darth Vader series early on was pretty damn great and had a lot of backstory in there that I wish we could see on screen, like Palpatine doubting Vader to the point of either creating or hiring (I forget) faux-Force power wielding people that Vader wound up dispatching, Vader trying to prove himself to Palpatine, Vader being something of an anti-hero at times, everything with Aphra, and so on.

• Thanks 1

The first Vader series was really good and gave some nice bits on how Vader found out about Luke and when he started planning in earnest to go against Palpatine. Its also led into a good cross over that gave more of horror movie Vader like we got in Rogue One. I thought the main Star Wars book from Aaron was pretty fun. Honestly the worst thing I can recall offhand was probably Poe Dameron's book which was decent enough. Its just that you could tell they were killing for time. There was one villain in that book I honestly wish did make it on screen. He was easily the highlight.

Actually just finished up the first two issues of the new main series following right after Empire. Its pretty solid.

Edited by Eivion
  • Like 1

To anyone who was reading the old post-ROTJ Extended Universe, was that actually better or worse than the Abrams/ Johnson/ Abrams storyline that it was erased to make way for?

2 hours ago, Matt D said:

Kieron Gillen is the best marvel/dc comic book writer of the last twenty years. Of course that first Vader book was going to be good.

To be fair the second series from Soule was solid-good. It was just hard to follow up Gillen.

56 minutes ago, AxB said:

To anyone who was reading the old post-ROTJ Extended Universe, was that actually better or worse than the Abrams/ Johnson/ Abrams storyline that it was erased to make way for?

Better.

Even the fucking Vong were better than the Disney-verse.

The Thrawn Trilogy would've been great but everyone was too damn old to play the characters. 

I mean, I still have 90 % of the books and can always go with those instead of the movies and just be annoyed we'll never bridge the generation gap between Fate and Legacy.

Edited by Raziel
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Second episode basically went exactly how you expected it to go with the reveal being exactly what you knew it would be. 

The main interesting part was a scene with Rex covering for Anakin, and Obi-Wan seeming to know exactly what's going on.

We skipped Revival (because it was aired out of order) and hit episodes 2-5 of Season 5 over the weekend and it was fine. I think the 7 year old is engaged by the Ahsoka - Lux stuff since they're both relatively young. It was good to see Saw's deal since obviously we were supposed to know him in Rogue One. As with a lot of these arcs, 3 episodes would have probably worked better than 4. 

Now we're about to be into the BAFFLING choice to introduce a bunch of younglings so that Anakin can kill them??? Maybe next weekend. We had picked up the pace to a degree that the weekly roll out of the new season means I have to time things a little more carefully. 

• Like 2