DVDVR Message Board

ALL ENCOMPASSING STAR WARS THREAD

RIPPA

7 hours ago, Eivion said:

Honestly, it felt like it was trying to overwrite the prequels somewhat. Like Lucas realized some of what he fucked up and worked with Filoni to try and fix it with Clone Wars.

Like Ahsoka being one of the most important characters in Clone Wars, but never being mentioned or even referenced at all in episodes 3-9? As if she never even existed? 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Guest The Magnificent 7

I think this has been explained to me before, but how did Darth Maul survive being chopped in half?

Cool character and all, but really kind of cheapens Qui-Gon’s death.

2 hours ago, The Magnificent 7 said:

I think this has been explained to me before, but how did Darth Maul survive being chopped in half?

The events themselves are really fucking stupid.

Hate literally keeps him alive until his body is inexplicably dumped on another fucking planet (Lotho Minor, the garbage dump of the galaxy) where Maul is found by his hereto unknown brother, Savage Oppress (yes, that is his actual given name) who nurses Maul back to health. 

Somehow in the interim (before Savage finds him?), Maul becomes an amnesiac and someone builds the cyborg spider legs contraption for him.

In some SWEU content, Oppress takes Maul back to their home planet, Dathomir, home of the Dark-Side wielding Nightsisters.  A Nighsister by the name of Mother Talon uses her powers to restore Maul's body and I am actually okay with that because magic can do anything you want it to.  That's the whole point of magic no matter what form it takes whether it be lighting bolts or super science.

IIRC, the SW: Rebels official canon line shows Maul still dependent on the spider legs thing for mobility.

Edited by J.T.
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, AxB said:

Like Ahsoka being one of the most important characters in Clone Wars, but never being mentioned or even referenced at all in episodes 3-9? As if she never even existed? 

She actually is referenced in Episode 9. Apparently

Spoiler

she is one of the Jedi voices speaking to Rey at the end of TROS. Kanan from Rebels is one of the voices as well.

Edited by Eivion

So it was announced that the Disney+ Obi Wan Kenobi show was "put on hold"

Everyone panicked

Now Ewan McGregor is out doing damage control

“We just pushed the shoot to the beginning of next year. The scripts are really good. I saw 90% of the writing and I really liked it,” McGregor said. (via Comic Book Movie) “All this bulls— about creative differences and all that stuff is, none of it true.”

McGregor further clarified that the production delay was due to the Lucasfilm executives ultimately deciding to make additional polishes to the upcoming series. “We just pushed the dates, they want — [the] last episode Episode IX just came out, everyone had more time to read the stuff that had been written, and they felt that they wanted to do more work on it. So they slid the shoot. It’s not nearly as dramatic as it sounds online.”

He also added that the fans shouldn’t worry about the delay because the Obi-Wan Kenobi series is still right on track for the studio’s original scheduled release date. “The show start shooting in January. I think they want to keep the same release date so it’s not really gonna affect the viewer in any way. It just simply gives them more time to write, make the scripts even better.”

• Like 1

I'm sort of two minds here. On one hand, if the scripts weren't good and didn't meet the quality test, then it's better they didn't move forward with them. Already, if you are doing a pre Episode IV Kenobi story, you don't have a ton of options. Not saying it's impossible, but the story options are limited. I mean I'm sure a few people agree that Rise of Skywalker or Last Jedi could've used some script rewrites before they started filming and really thought about those stories and broke them down.  So maybe Kenobi taking a break to do the rewrites is good?

On the other hand, Kathleen Kennedy made a big show of things at D23. They announced the show, McGregor, and she said the scripts were done and ready to go for filming this year. So that's sort of embarrassing. If they are ready to make an announcement like that, I feel like they should be pretty much 99% ready to go on it. It just seems like more drama with Star Wars like two steps forward, five steps back. 

Not to mention, THR said only two out of six scripts were done. That sort of directly contradicts Kennedy's own announcement back in August.

At this point, I'd be more shocked if Kennedy *didn't* fuck up and/or lie through her teeth about something Star Wars related.   It still amazes me how put together Fiege has the Marvel arm and how utterly chaotic Kennedy has Star Wars.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

17 hours ago, Raziel said:

At this point, I'd be more shocked if Kennedy *didn't* fuck up and/or lie through her teeth about something Star Wars related.   It still amazes me how put together Fiege has the Marvel arm and how utterly chaotic Kennedy has Star Wars.

All of this. 

• Like 1

On 1/22/2020 at 8:57 PM, Eivion said:

To a degree though there is so much material there with plenty being referenced later on including material from weaker episodes that served better ones later. Try to catch the clone focused episodes, the Mandalore episodes, Nightsisters episodes, Opress episodes, the Father/Son/Daughter arc, and the episodes with Bariss Offee from the first three seasons. You actually want to most,seasons 4-6 save a few minor arcs.

On 1/22/2020 at 9:50 PM, Matt D said:

It's not that most episodes are bad. They're fine. It's just that there's a lot of them. And we have a lot more Star Wars than we used to. I say that you particularly should just dive in. 

On 1/23/2020 at 6:46 AM, TheVileOne said:

To be perfectly honest, I don't think Clone Wars really bridges the gap at all. Clone Wars often times feels like a show that's completely removed from the prequels and is telling its own story. 

Thanks for the help.

We're through Season 3 Episode 7 now and I think we've hit a solid stretch of episodes. One of the big problems with the show is that the chronology is all over the place. It doesn't cause too many problems but Season 3 Episode 1 introduce a bunch of characters and then leads right into Season 1 Episode 5. Season 3 Episode 3 is somehow a prequel to Season 1 Episode 1. Etc. I have no idea who thought this was a good idea. 

I came in here to praise things though. A string of good episodes, all of them from 1-7, but especially 3-7 when they got the clones out of the way and focused a lot on Padme and Ahsoka. Some Mandalorian stuff (which is very much its own thing here and not "Fett-y" in the least), some Aurra Sing. We're rolling into Droids and Ziro, but the payoff will be Quinlan Vos. I remember loving Ostrander's Republic comic back in the day so I'm very much looking forward to that. 

And then we're a couple of episodes away from Nightsisters, so I feel good about this. 

We made it through the middle of S3, the Nightsisters arc. The 7 year old was super surprised by Maul at the end. I am amazed that didn't slip out. She even saw the trailer for S7 and thought it was Opress again and not Maul. The problem now is that she immediately wants to know how Maul lived and what's next, etc., and just looking at the episodes, we've got a slog before we get there. The Mortis stuff might be ok, and everyone loves Wookies but S4 seems to start with Gungans and Droids and Clones and Mandalore and it's basically the whole season before we get back to this. Some of that stuff might be good but she's hooked and it's going to be another month at least before we get there now. 

Ah well.

14 hours ago, Matt D said:

We made it through the middle of S3, the Nightsisters arc. The 7 year old was super surprised by Maul at the end. I am amazed that didn't slip out. She even saw the trailer for S7 and thought it was Opress again and not Maul. The problem now is that she immediately wants to know how Maul lived and what's next, etc., and just looking at the episodes, we've got a slog before we get there. The Mortis stuff might be ok, and everyone loves Wookies but S4 seems to start with Gungans and Droids and Clones and Mandalore and it's basically the whole season before we get back to this.

Yeah, I ended up skipping most of S4, as I recall. Didn't pick up until we see Dooku's revenge on the Nightsisters. I also skipped most of the first half of season 5. 

Meanwhile....

• Like 1

Just got through the Zero the Hutt episode in season 3 and that was almost enough to get me to quit the series.  I think it took me 3 nights of falling asleep midway through to actually finish the episode.

I'm too stubborn to stop at this point, but I'm really looking forward to being done with this and moving on to Rebels. 

• Like 1

On 1/23/2020 at 4:00 PM, AxB said:

It almost like your begging George Lucas to go back and do some more tinkering with the films

FWIW, the only characters created from Clone Wars/Rebels that we see or hear about in the films are Chopper, Hera (in Rogue One) and Rex (Retconned into Return of the Jedi), except for the VOs in Rey's head in Rise of Skywalker.

Edited by Ace

Through the Mortis and Citadel episodes of Clone Wars with the 7 year old. It's amazing that they brought Liam Neeson back for THAT. They get an A for effort in trying to do something bold and different but it was all a little too big and a little too different. Dark Side Ahsoka and the scene where Anakin saw the future were both great though. Citadel was fine and seeing Anakin interact with Tarkin was great. It went on a bit too long though and the carbonite stuff seemed a bit off since it all seemed new and untested in Empire. Best part was that the 18 year old joined us this morning on his birthday to watch them which is a rare emergence from his room. He was more into them than the 7 year old, unsurprisingly. Two more episodes to the end of S3. 

• Like 2

Ok, we're onto episode 7 of S4 now. It is going to be a slog. We had to FF through the 3rd episode (3 parts for Ackbar stuff was rough, especially when Jar Jar was the cavalry). The Jar Jar solo episode was actually really good. I mean, the Jar Jar stuff wasn't, but it had Grevious vs a bunch of Gungans and Anikan vs Dooku+Friends. The droids two parter wasn't great but it was way better than the droids going to a droid spa in season 3. 

I'm not looking forward to the Krell stuff. Adults might like the clone-focused episodes the best but they're hard sells for the 7 year old. It's a FOUR PARTER too.