DVDVR Message Board

ALL ENCOMPASSING STAR WARS THREAD

RIPPA

Best thing is to think of how the stuff works "within that world", not in our world.

Of course, I have a massive nerd tick about FTL travel and blowing a gasket when it's instantanios, so what do I know?

• Like 1

Best thing is to think of how the stuff works "within that world", not in our world.

But that creates detachment between fanboys and their content.   They don't want that.  They want their content to have some real world qualities or be justified by real science because that gives it the feasibility that it could actually exist someday when technology catches up to the concept.

Edited by J.T.

22 minutes ago, Raziel said:

Of course, I have a massive nerd tick about FTL travel and blowing a gasket when it's instantanios, so what do I know?

My nerd tick is with light based weapons, especially if the gun that fires the weaponized light experiences recoil.

Light has almost zero inertia or kinetic properties.

35 minutes ago, Raziel said:

I hear you on this. Writing Star Wars: Old Republic fanfiction gets interesting when you're trying to determine how long it takes to travel a parsec, what's the ETA between Coruscant and Nar Shadda, etc. I've seen galactic maps that can give distance, but not travel time.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, JLSigman said:

I hear you on this. Writing Star Wars: Old Republic fanfiction gets interesting when you're trying to determine how long it takes to travel a parsec, what's the ETA between Coruscant and Nar Shadda, etc. I've seen galactic maps that can give distance, but not travel time.

Han Solo is vindicated.  Lots of people tried to criticize Lucas for the old "it's the ship that made the Kessel Run in seven parsecs" because they assumed Lucas was using parsec as a measurement of time.

The Falcon made the Kessel Run by traveling a faster and perhaps more dangerous hyperspace lane that was seven parsecs.  Solo is pimping his skill as a pilot as well as Chewie's skill as a navigator in addition to the speed and space worthiness of the Falcon when he makes that boast.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1

Just now, J.T. said:

Han Solo is vindicated.  Lots of people tried to criticize Lucas for the old "it's the ship that make the Kessel Run in seven parsecs" because the assumed Lucas was using parsec as a measurement of time.

The Falcon made the Kessel Run by traveling a faster and perhaps more dangerous hyperspace lane that was seven parsecs.

I made that mistake myself until I found some old comics that partially dealt with the wild age of mapping hyperspace lanes. Some of those trips ended poorly, to say the least. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JLSigman said:

I made that mistake myself until I found some old comics that partially dealt with the wild age of mapping hyperspace lanes. Some of those trips ended poorly, to say the least. 

Well if you bounce too close to a star or plow through a supernova.....

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, J.T. said:

Han Solo is vindicated.  Lots of people tried to criticize Lucas for the old "it's the ship that made the Kessel Run in seven parsecs" because they assumed Lucas was using parsec as a measurement of time.

The Falcon made the Kessel Run by traveling a faster and perhaps more dangerous hyperspace lane that was seven parsecs.  Solo is pimping his skill as a pilot as well as Chewie's skill as a navigator in addition to the speed and space worthiness of the Falcon when he makes that boast.

The ship also had L3-37's AI built into it by then, too, right?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Technico Support said:

The ship also had L3-37's AI built into it by then, too, right?

Yep.  The Falcon has one of the most sophisticated astronav computers on any ship ever made.   If the hyperdrive is the heart of the Falcon. the nav system is the brain.

One thing that has always bugged me about the Falcon's design is that huge fucking comm dish on the top of the ship.  In space it wouldn't matter because a fucking brick is aerodynamically sound in zero atmo, but the drag on the ship while it is flying through a planet's atmosphere due to the comm dish should be immense.  

Wind shear should fucking rip the thing right off of the ship, but we can explain that away with the existence of deflector shields.  Those magical force fields should be in place and always on to protect the ship from cosmic abrasion as the ship travels at hyperspeed through dust particles and debris that should tear the ship to pieces.  

The shield's inertia dampening quality is probably what protects the comm dish from damage when it is flying through a planet's atmosphere...

I also assume that starships have adequate radiation shielding so that passengers can arrive to their destinations cancer free.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 3

So I just finished watching Episode I beginning to end for the first time in years. It.....was not bad. I mean, Jake Lloyd's acting was bad. The writing of a lot of that dialogue was really poor. But overall, not as much hate for it as I remember. Even Jar Jar wasn't THAT bad. I just wish that they had given him some sort of character redemption in the Battle of Naboo. Everything he did was by clumsy mistake. Let him step up there and take charge and actually show some real worth. But instead he's tripping over droids and falling off of transports. If he had shown some actual skill there, I think it would've made for a good character arc and there wouldn't be as much hate for him as there is/was. But, overall, yeah....I dare say I may even have LIKED it. Could be after years of Star Wars intake on my part that I fully grasp the storyline he was trying to tell now instead of it being more of a confusing mess of trade disputes and bureaucracy. 

Maybe I'll try watching Episode II again and see how that holds up. I currently have Attack of the Clones as the worst of all 9 movies. I just remember the "romance" between Anakin and Padme being so awful that it brought the whole movie down. We'll see.

2 hours ago, MonteCarl said:

Even Jar Jar wasn't THAT bad. I just wish that they had given him some sort of character redemption in the Battle of Naboo. Everything he did was by clumsy mistake. Let him step up there and take charge and actually show some real worth. But instead he's tripping over droids and falling off of transports. If he had shown some actual skill there, I think it would've made for a good character arc and there wouldn't be as much hate for him as there is/was.

I want to say Clone Wars sees Jar Jar fumbling into success more. He isn't skilled or anything, but his failures tended to end for the better of the good guys. 

Edited by Eivion

We made a rush through the last six episodes of Clone Wars S2 this morning. She was definitely into the Zillo Beast, as we are big Godzilla fans (or at least fans of the idea of Godzilla) in the household. Moreover, I usually have to refresh her on stuff from the movies (like who Dooku is and why the Separatists are doing what they're doing) but she 100% knew who Boba Fett was and why he hated the Jedi without me having to say a word. Kids relate to kids. That's the moral of the story. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Matt D said:

We rewatched Episode I with the 7 year old a few months ago to prep her for Rise. When you're a teenager, you think Jar Jar is lame. When you're an adult, he's as bad or worse than the faux Japanese Trade Guys. 

Is he as bad as the anti-Semitic junk dealer?

I'm not versed into Star Wars lore as you are so with that said...

This Clone Wars series, that bridges the gap between Episodes II and III? Expanded material as it were?

The woman who looks like she wears the hind legs/ass of a zebra as decorative headwear, right to say she's a badass? You'' never unsee that description now ;).

This trailers honestly the first thing I've ever seen from the Clone Wars and it looks like it might be worth seeing. Doubt Ill have the time to see it from beginning to end. Can you get by cherry picking?

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, The Natural said:

This trailers honestly the first thing I've ever seen from the Clone Wars and it looks like it might be worth seeing. Doubt Ill have the time to see it from beginning to end. Can you get by cherry picking?

To a degree though there is so much material there with plenty being referenced later on including material from weaker episodes that served better ones later. Try to catch the clone focused episodes, the Mandalore episodes, Nightsisters episodes, Opress episodes, the Father/Son/Daughter arc, and the episodes with Bariss Offee from the first three seasons. You actually want to most,seasons 4-6 save a few minor arcs.

• Thanks 1

Looking at some of the scenes in the trailer, this season is going to bleed into Episode III, which will provide some interesting other POV's that weren't present during that movie. I definitely picked out 2 scenes that are straight from RotS and another one that has to occur during the movie.

And I'm not going to complain about more Ahsoka, who might've been the only Saga era Jedi to actually "get it".

• Like 1

13 hours ago, The Natural said:

I'm not versed into Star Wars lore as you are so with that said...

This Clone Wars series, that bridges the gap between Episodes II and III? Expanded material as it were?

The woman who looks like she wears the hind legs/ass of a zebra as decorative headwear, right to say she's a badass? You'' never unsee that description now ;).

To be perfectly honest, I don't think Clone Wars really bridges the gap at all. Clone Wars often times feels like a show that's completely removed from the prequels and is telling its own story. 

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Raziel said:

Looking at some of the scenes in the trailer, this season is going to bleed into Episode III, which will provide some interesting other POV's that weren't present during that movie. I definitely picked out 2 scenes that are straight from RotS and another one that has to occur during the movie.

And I'm not going to complain about more Ahsoka, who might've been the only Saga era Jedi to actually "get it".

It's my understanding that "Execute Order 66" will happen about halfway through this season. The trailer definitely shows that they remake a few scenes from Revenge (the Jedi around the holo with Mace saying "There is a plot", Anakin killing the Separatists leaders), as well as expanding on when the few clone troopers we see in Rebels removed their chips, the end of the whole Mandalore arc, etc. 

Just started Rebels. The art is definitely less jarring and the music is better. 

• Like 1

IMO, Rebels is fantastic and genuinely always felt more like classic Star Wars. Though I do think the show sort of peaked creatively in Season 2. Season 3 did have the introduction of Thrawn but felt a little anti-climactic. But the series finale was epic. I got to see it at Walt Disney Studios, the main cast and crew were there and had a nice Q&A afterwards, and my feeling leaving the theater was "Man, I think that was better than Last Jedi."

That said, the purrgils are awful. They are equivalent to the Holdo maneuver.

Edited by TheVileOne