DVDVR Message Board

ALL ENCOMPASSING STAR WARS THREAD

RIPPA

Been watching Star Wars: Rebels on Disney+ with my 5 year old recently. It's really good. I haven't watched Clone Wars. I've tried. Started it up and watched a few episodes a number of times, but it never clicked with me. This did right away, with me and the kid. Now he's asking to watch Rebels in the morning instead of PJ Masks. Way better. 

• Like 3

19 hours ago, MonteCarl said:

Been watching Star Wars: Rebels on Disney+ with my 5 year old recently. It's really good. I haven't watched Clone Wars. I've tried. Started it up and watched a few episodes a number of times, but it never clicked with me. This did right away, with me and the kid. Now he's asking to watch Rebels in the morning instead of PJ Masks. Way better. 

Clone Wars just isn't very good IMO, I don't get why it's so popular with the fanbase. Rebels works a lot better because it feels more like classic Star Wars. Clone Wars is still rooted in the badness of the Prequel Trilogy and the things that don't work about, like how specifically obvious it is that the Clone army they never authorized are in league with the Sith and there's no connection between the clone template, Jango Fett, and the Sith, who they followed directly to the Sith, working for the Sith Lord. "Yeah let's just use this army. Nothing not kosher about this."

Even when Dave Filoni introduces the idea that some of the clones defected and carved out mind control chips, it's flimsy and is riddled with plot holes. 

With the exception of a few episodes that everyone tells you to skip, I think the fanbase likes it because up until Rogue One and Mandalorian hit, it was the only thing that felt like Star Wars for Adults and it made them feel better about themselves.

• Like 1

Its liked because there are legitimately good-great episodes in the later seasons with some solid enough character arcs throughout the series. Beyond that, its a better backstory on the past than the prequel trilogy. Its not classic Star Wars and was never trying to be. Its a war anthology. 

Edited by Eivion
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, Eivion said:

Its liked because there are legitimately good-great episodes in the later seasons with some solid enough character arcs throughout the series. 

The back half of season 5, when Maul and Savage are tearing shit up, is absolutely amazing stuff. I think I skipped most of season 4. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, JLSigman said:

The back half of season 5, when Maul and Savage are tearing shit up, is absolutely amazing stuff. I think I skipped most of season 4. 

If you haven't seen it yet

Spoiler

you should google Gungans vs. Grievious. I can't remember if the entire arc is good, but that particular moment from S4 is. You should also check out the arc where Anakin had to turn over his Clone troopers to another Jedi called Krell. Hope you caught the episodes towards the end of S4 as those are where Maul makes his return.

1 hour ago, Eivion said:

If you haven't seen it yet

Reveal hidden contents

you should google Gungans vs. Grievious. I can't remember if the entire arc is good, but that particular moment from S4 is. You should also check out the arc where Anakin had to turn over his Clone troopers to another Jedi called Krell. Hope you caught the episodes towards the end of S4 as those are where Maul makes his return.

I started to watch the Krell ones, but it was SO stupidly heavy handed that I skipped it. 

38 minutes ago, JLSigman said:

I started to watch the Krell ones, but it was SO stupidly heavy handed that I skipped it. 

Don't recall that, but I also haven't watched it in years. I just loved the general idea of it at the time.

Got through the end of season 5. Holy shit. THAT, my friends, is how you Star Wars.

The fight between (spoilers!) and Maul&Savage was easily the best in all the media. Folks finally remembered that you can use the Force AND lightsabers at the same time! I almost felt sorry for Maul at the end.

Then Ahsoka. Gods, Ahsoka. Every single Jedi, including Anakin, needs to be punched in the face. I'll definitely be reading her book later on.

Edited by JLSigman
code stupidity on my end
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, JLSigman said:

Then Ahsoka. Gods, Ahsoka. Every single Jedi, including Anakin, needs to be punched in the face. I'll definitely be reading her book later on.

The upcoming S7 will be following her story up. The book is technically after Order 66 from what I recall hearing.

• Like 1

Yeah, what happened to Ahsoka in S5 pretty much put me on the "Jedi need rebooting" train. If S7 is her in the aftermath of Order 66 setting the table for Rebels then I'll be happy.  

11 hours ago, Raziel said:

Yeah, what happened to Ahsoka in S5 pretty much put me on the "Jedi need rebooting" train. If S7 is her in the aftermath of Order 66 setting the table for Rebels then I'll be happy.  

S7 is what Ahsoka was doing right after S5 and will eventually lead into Order 66. They have mentioned the arcs to some degree before because they had already planned out a decent many of them. Order 66 will probably be the end of the show. if they had anything else planned I'm guessing it was what became Ahsoka's book.

Edited by Eivion

Watched about half of S6 of Clones Wars. The Fives arc (*sobbing forever*), skipped the bits with jealous Anakin and Padmé's ex boyfriend, skipped the Jar Jar thing, came back for the Sifo-Dyas episode, zipped through most of the Yoda thing. Moraband = Korriban? Anyways...

Next will be a couple movies, Revenge of the Sith, then Solo, then if I'm reading the timeline right I'll dive into the Rebels cartoon series. 

Had a discussion with the new intern here where I work and after our conversation I am convinced that SW nerds that use the "lightsaber blades are made of plasma" must've flunked Physics in high school because lightsaber blades do not behave in a manner that actual plasma does in the real world.

Even plasma shaped by an electromagnetic "bottle".

• Like 1

So, re-watched Revenge of the Sith for the first time since it came out in theaters. It's still not very good, but not quite as bad as I remembered, and certainly better than Attack of the Clones. A few things here and there are negated by the Clone Wars cartoon (Anakin saying, "I've doubled my power since you saw me last" to Dooku when he saw him a few months ago, never having seen Grievous before, etc.). Padmé's death is still eye rollingly stupid. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, J.T. said:

Had a discussion with the new intern here where I work and after our conversation I am convinced that SW nerds that use the "lightsaber blades are made of plasma" must've flunked Physics in high school because lightsaber blades do not behave in a manner that actual plasma does in the real world.

Even plasma shaped by an electromagnetic "bottle".

To be fair to your intern, plasma physics ain't exactly a commonly covered topic.  Granted, all my education was in Texas, but I made it through high school physics, three semesters of college physics and two electrical engineering degrees with a focus on electromagnetics without ever encountering it.  Only time I've had to deal with plasma at all was at NASA -  testing how some electrical connectors they were planning to use to hook up the shuttles to the Mir (makes me feel old to even type that name) would work.  Even there I'm pretty sure nobody working on it could explain the physics of what was going on.  I sure as shit couldn't.

Could have fun with this, though.  My father spent about three decades working on magnetic plasma containment - wrote his dissertation on transient phenomena during plasma injection into a magnetic field, complete with a simulation written in Fortran stored on punch cards.  He also gets incredibly frustrated by people that don't understand as much as he does.  And he gets doubly annoyed with folks that are convinced they understand things when they don't.  I can see the Youtube video in my head - "Grumpy octogenarian hillbilly explains plasma containment to star wars nerds who think they know better". 

• Like 1

It would be simpler if SW nerds would just accept that lightsabers are pretty much magic since their entire function depends on a material which doesn't exist.  The use of the fictional kyber crystal in lightsaber construction invalidates most real world application of how lightsaber's should work.

See also: dilithium crystal, vibranium, and Element Zero 

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 5

Guest The Magnificent 7

Star Wars isn’t hard sci-fi so if people are looking for those types of explanations they are looking in the wrong place. It’s like asking how Thundar the Barbarian’s sun-sword worked or why dudes can jump 30 feet and their robes flap in Kung-fu movies. 

Because. 

14 hours ago, The Magnificent 7 said:

Star Wars isn’t hard sci-fi so if people are looking for those types of explanations they are looking in the wrong place. It’s like asking how Thundar the Barbarian’s sun-sword worked or why dudes can jump 30 feet and their robes flap in Kung-fu movies. 

Because. 

Precisely. Magic is no different than super science.  Things work in Star Wars because they're supposed to and that's the best explanation.

No need to try to apply real world explanations to anything, but hardcore fanboy grognards always try to reason away the concepts in their favorite content with actual science in the hope that it will somehow add validity or relevance to the content.  

All it does is reveals just how unfamiliar people are with the concepts they're using to explain how the content functions..

• Like 4