DVDVR Message Board

ALL ENCOMPASSING STAR WARS THREAD

RIPPA

Between this and seeing Rise with the 7 year old, we have restarted our Clone Wars watching. Now through ep 5 of S2. There's just so much of this show, so, so much, and so much of it is just stuff happening. There's no sense of forward motion. It's fine, but for a show that's so obviously going towards a place we all know, it's just one thing after another. It's a slog, especially compared to what I've seen of Rebels.

Edited by Matt D
  • Like 1

Clone Wars tended to have more mini arcs in the first 3 seasons than an overarching story.  The Mandalorian stuff is a handy back primer to some of the stuff the Mando series touched on.  Once you hit season 4 you get into the Dathomir, Maul, and Opress stuff and it runs pretty solid.

And I'm hoping at some point someone circles back to how Maul got and subsequently lost control of Crimsom Dawn.

Edited by Raziel
  • Like 1

I think I may have asked it before, but as someone who has never watched any of the animated series, where's a good place to start?

Also, that Mandalorian finale was the shit. Throw all the money at Taika and Favreau and get them to run the Star Wars franchise.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Craig H said:

I think I may have asked it before, but as someone who has never watched any of the animated series, where's a good place to start?

Also, that Mandalorian finale was the shit. Throw all the money at Taika and Favreau and get them to run the Star Wars franchise.

Despite what I said, you should watch Clone Wars. I think you'll like it. It's just hard with a 7 year old when there are Dragon Prince and Gargoyles to watch too.

Just now, HumanChessgame said:

I liked the first Mandalorian episode but lost interest when Baby Yoda showed up. How big a part is it in the rest of the season?

Depends on what you mean. On one hand, Baby Yoda as a character is not a huge part of the show. On the other hand, he drives the entire plot of this season.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, JLSigman said:

https://www.techradar.com/news/the-mandalorian-season-2-release-date

At least we won't have to wait as long as those poor Witcher fans

That is quite a wait for a season they are shooting now. 

So I'm one of these poor Witcher fans you just talked about. How long am I going to have to wait for S2, and who at Netflix should I send hate mail too for making me wait so long?

7 hours ago, Matt D said:

Between this and seeing Rise with the 7 year old, we have restarted our Clone Wars watching. Now through ep 5 of S2. There's just so much of this show, so, so much, and so much of it is just stuff happening. There's no sense of forward motion. It's fine, but for a show that's so obviously going towards a place we all know, it's just one thing after another. It's a slog, especially compared to what I've seen of Rebels.

While I liked Rebels I don't think ti formed much in the way of a strong narrative until its second season where they were full blown building the Rebellion. As @Raziel mentioned a stronger narrative will build when you hit the fourth (possibly the third) season. That should be where you start to get a more forward motion, especially since some time is skipped.

On 12/27/2019 at 9:16 AM, Raziel said:

Now I'm going to spend the off time fantasy casting live-action Sabine.

Didn't Sabine

Spoiler

relinquish the Darksaber before the end of Rebels?

Does remind me that I really want a series focused on what happened to Ezra and Thrawn along with Ahsoka and Sabine's journey to find Ezra post war. 

EDIT: I loved the final episode of S1 for Mandalorian. The wait is going to be hard.

Edited by Eivion

19 hours ago, Craig H said:

I tried to watch every episode, but it can be very hit and miss early on. I'd look at the animated Clone Wars movie, so you get a good introduction to the new people, then see which episodes plot blurb catch your eye. I'm about to start going through season 3 and will mainly be focusing on the episodes with Duchess Satine and the trilogy about Mortis. 

16 hours ago, Eivion said:

While I liked Rebels I don't think ti formed much in the way of a strong narrative until its second season where they were full blown building the Rebellion. As @Raziel mentioned a stronger narrative will build when you hit the fourth (possibly the third) season. That should be where you start to get a more forward motion, especially since some time is skipped.

"If you make it through 66 episodes then..."

I'm kidding, mainly. With Rebels, even if the first season isn't tight, it's focused on establishing the characters and their relationships with one another, as well as playing with the overall mythos. There's a lot less of that in Clone Wars season 1. It really stays within its own boundaries much more, too. I'd say Lair of Grievous was the most out there episode.

The final two episodes of The Mandalorian were fantastic especially the season finale.  Epic all around...     The latest addition to the cast is such a great choice.   This was another reason why I loved all the little side quests.  It all led to this.  By the end I CARED about every single character.. 

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Matt D said:

Season 7 of Clone Wars is set for February 17. 

By that point we MIGHT finish season 3. 

We were doing well but the Padme and Spongebob's Voice investigate a Senate Murder episode may have killed it for us for a few weeks.

Yeah, that's when I really started skipping episodes. The writing is so frustratingly uneven.