DVDVR Message Board

ALL ENCOMPASSING STAR WARS THREAD

RIPPA

Loved the new episode. Jarring to see Bill Burr as a featured character, and it took me a bit to recognize Clancy Brown.

Did anybody catch what the scrambled message from Carl Weathers was saying? Couldn't make it out. Seems like it will be important. 

Like @JohnnyLaw said, no idea what the "go home" for the season is. Two episodes left, and it doesn't seem like there's much of an overarching story to tie up outside of who/what Baby Yoda is. It's seemed more like a collection of episodes/stories very loosely connected. Curious how it will all tie together at the end. 

4 hours ago, Raziel said:

HOW DID I NOT KNOW THIS EXISTED UNTIL TODAY?!?!?!!

I was wondering when this would finally make it to this thread.  Imagine what they could've done with a Rogue One budget!

Anyway, I both love and hate this saber fight.   It is consistent with the exaggerated saber styles from the other films, but flipping around a weapon with an omnidirectional cutting surface is still really suspect.  You're just as liable to cut yourself in half as you are your enemy.

The best thing about this video is the way that Vader fights.   Now THAT'S what I would expect to see from a Dark Force wielder totally giving in to his hate.  I also like the heat trail embellishment effects along the walls and Ben's robe where the lightsabers strike a surface. 

I always wondered in the first film why there were no embers or any smoke from Ben's robe when Vader's saber cut through it.

Edited by J.T.

8 hours ago, MonteCarl said:

Loved the new episode. Jarring to see Bill Burr as a featured character, and it took me a bit to recognize Clancy Brown.

Did anybody catch what the scrambled message from Carl Weathers was saying? Couldn't make it out. Seems like it will be important. 

Like @JohnnyLaw said, no idea what the "go home" for the season is. Two episodes left, and it doesn't seem like there's much of an overarching story to tie up outside of who/what Baby Yoda is. It's seemed more like a collection of episodes/stories very loosely connected. Curious how it will all tie together at the end. 

It sounded like the message he sent him at Episode 3. I figured Mando just scrambled it himself in case someone else went poking around for it, like that droid.

9 hours ago, JonnyLaw said:

“I WAS NOT A STORMTROOPER!!” was also great.

"I WASN'T A STORMTROOPER, SMARTASS!" 
Bill Burr was awesome. I'm hoping he and his crew come back next season.

There's been some arguments about whether this show is a Western or Samurai show.  It's a Western. And that has less to do with the stories or themes than it has to do with the fact that this show is just like the TV Westerns of the late 50's and 60's. The hero has a new adventure each episode and there's guest stars in each one as well. Mandalorian would fit it on ME TV's early afternoon western block every day between Gunsmoke and Wanted: Dead Or Alice.

• Like 4

Was that line some sort of meta joke about Stormtroopers being bad shots?

There's been some arguments about whether this show is a Western or Samurai show.  It's a Western. And that has less to do with the stories or themes than it has to do with the fact that this show is just like the TV Westerns of the late 50's and 60's. The hero has a new adventure each episode and there's guest stars in each one as well. Mandalorian would fit it on ME TV's early afternoon western block every day between Gunsmoke and Wanted: Dead Or Alice.

Both.

Edited by TheVileOne

Episode 6 might have been my favorite so far. Loved the merc crew and how everything played out. Clancy Brown was a treat to see, and Burr was pretty darn good in his role. So hope hope the two and their murderous Twi'lek return in the future. Was also neat seeing Dave Filoni sneak in as one of the X-wing pilots at the end.

14 hours ago, Technico Support said:

Two eps left?  Damn.  When does the next Star Ward series (the Kenobi show or the show about Cassian Andor) start?  This shit is like crack.

The Cassian Andor show should be the next live action series. don't think a start date has been given. The Star Wars series in general to air should be the final season of Clone Wars.

• Like 2

Man, the show continues to be an enjoyable half-hour diversion, but the more it goes on, the more it becomes clear that they had no idea what to do with this show after they came up with the basic pitch.  They’ve just resorted to tossing Mando and Baby Yoda into whatever archetypal story they can think of without any real sense of stakes or momentum.  Really comes across like a show that doesn’t know where it’s going or why it exists.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, JonnyLaw said:

I liked this week’s episode of The Mandalorian, but I’m surprised it hasn’t seemed to kick into the endgame with only two episodes left.

“I told you that was a bad idea.” cracked me up.

That and the reveal for "They got what they deserved" were absolutely perfect.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, EVA said:

Man, the show continues to be an enjoyable half-hour diversion, but the more it goes on, the more it becomes clear that they had no idea what to do with this show after they came up with the basic pitch.  They’ve just resorted to tossing Mando and Baby Yoda into whatever archetypal story they can think of without any real sense of stakes or momentum.  Really comes across like a show that doesn’t know where it’s going or why it exists.

I agree with you. When the season started, through those first few episodes it felt like we were going to get a pretty good story. Since then, it's just been all filler with very cliche storylines and even more cliched dialogue. The dialogue in the last two episodes is so bad at times. There's just nothing very compelling to any of this.

To make matters worse, last week felt like it ended on something of a cliffhanger. When I started watching this week's episode I started to wonder if maybe I missed something or the episode I watched last week was actually from 2 weeks ago because Mando and the show completely moved to some other cliched adventure this week.

What this feels like more than anything else is a vehicle to get a bunch of actors paying jobs in the Star Wars universe. I just get the feeling a lot of these actors loved Star Wars and want to be a part of it and this is giving them all time to play pretend in something they grew up loving.

This show isn't bad, it's just very disappointing.

This could be said in pretty much any television thread, but the internet-driven way of breaking down every episode, judging them individually, and determining now what it means for the entire season/story is just fucking weird to me. 

Like imagine if we did that with chapters of a book. 

Anyway I dig The Mandalorian and see it as a weekly jaunt through the extended SW world, and don't think it necessarily needs a ton of gravitas, deep storytelling, etc. I'm enjoying the ride. 

• Like 7

Y'all are gonna laugh at me, but I turned on Jedi (since TNT is running a marathon and there's nothing else on TV except a Howard Zinn doc that is going to piss me off at everything if I watch it) and noticed for the first time that Lucas replaced the old Vader's spirit standing there at the end with the new actor, looking all sinister too. 

How fucking stupid can you get? 

I mean I knew about the other shit with adding CGI. I saw Ep. 1 in the theater and thought what he did was stupid, but it was only just jarring and pointless. Jabba didn't bother me. This, though...

• Like 2

Wasn]

30 minutes ago, Matt D said:

Who over 35 calls it A New Hope?

Not me.  I have to stop and think which one "A New Hope" is whenever I hear that phrase.  I was well into adulthood before I heard "A New Hope" for the first time.

When did it pick that subtitle up?  When the prequel trilogy was released?  Seems like it was called just "Star Wars" until at least the early 2000's.