DVDVR Message Board

ALL ENCOMPASSING STAR WARS THREAD

RIPPA

On 12/5/2019 at 10:15 PM, The Natural said:

The face behind the great Deadpool run (2012-2015) with Gerry Duggan. Also appears as Bert in The Big Bang Theory.

Cindy's been binging "Friends" before it leaves Netflix and he shows up as a script messenger in season 2- it had to be one of his first on-camera roles. Too funny.

• Like 1

It’s a weird, admittedly minor and dumb thing, but actors like Carl Weathers and Ming Na-Wen don’t necessarily stand out. It’s the comedians like Posehn and Eugene “Pillboi” Cordero that oddly stand out to me. This week it was Amy Sedaris as the mechanic kind of doing Jerri Blank’s voice that had me laughing.bb12ad360b7d144cb710d0a5e8613a14282af895 

Edited by JonnyLaw
  • Like 1

My thoughts exactly. What got me right off the bat was Horatio Sanz as the blue alien in the first scene of the first episode. And Amy Sedaris did really take me out of her scenes a little because of her Geri voice and slight mannerisms. ?

Mandalorian is wildly inconsistent. I hated the first episode, then they introduce Baby Yoda who completely turns the show around and gives the Mandalorian something to play off of. The third episode is one of the best things I've seen from a TV show ever. Then they follow it with a run-of-the-mill, but good Star Trek episode/Seven Samurai knockoff (Carano was better than I expected). This week's episode... woof. I thought it was plodding, felt low budget, and just did not work for me. Not good. Highs and lows.

I kinda felt the same about episode 5. Felt pretty low budget. Ming Na Wen and Bobby Cannavale's son felt like they were acting on an episode of a SyFy series and not one of the good SyFy series either. Just kinda stilted dialogue and corny acting. It also felt like nothing of note happened. Maybe bad isn't the right way to describe it, but it's for sure completely forgettable.

I finally got around to watching this, and I completely agree.  Show lost all of its momentum the last two episodes.  It felt like the show should’ve kicked into a higher gear when Mando went rogue, and instead they just slammed on the breaks.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, EVA said:

I finally got around to watching this, and I completely agree.  Show lost all of its momentum the last two episodes.  It felt like the show should’ve kicked into a higher gear when Mando went rogue, and instead they just slammed on the breaks.

What's funny is that it's because he's actually kind of competent at hiding out. We're also not used to watching this stuff week-by-week anymore.

Edited by Matt D
  • Like 3

On 11/26/2019 at 9:50 AM, JLSigman said:

So, as I'm working my way through Star Wars stuff, I re-watched "Attack of the Clones" and the animated "Clone Wars" movie yesterday. 

Ugh, "Attack" is awful. Anakin should've been shot into the sun 5 years previously. I also hate hate hate how his obsession and Padmé's.... I dunno what was made into twoo wuv. 

The animation for "Clone Wars" is ugly as fuck, but the storytelling is great. Looking forward to meeting a bunch of new characters in the series. 

If you hated Anakin in Clone Wars, you will borderline loathe him in Clone Wars as well.   The way he carries on with Ahoska makes you go, "Uh, you and Padme supposed to be an item, right?"

And then you start to feel sad because you know Anakin will turn and the whole Anakin / Ahoska relationship thing won't end well.

Edited by J.T.

5 hours ago, J.T. said:

If you hated Anakin in Clone Wars, you will borderline loathe him in Clone Wars as well.   The way he carries on with Ahoska makes you go, "Uh, you and Padme supposed to be an item, right?"

And then you start to feel sad because you know Anakin will turn and the whole Anakin / Ahoska relationship thing won't end well.

Anakin was generally solid in the Clone Wars series. Never got any sort of romantic feel between him and Ahsoka, just close friends alongside the general mentor/student relationship.

10 hours ago, J.T. said:

So far my biggest complaint about Clone Wars characterization is how the male Force users are all in armor and such, while the women are in midriff exposing push up bra tops except for that one lady Jedi who was in a sexy tight nun outfit.

The prequels are bad movies, and Anakin's performance sort of ruins the whole Padme/Anakin love story. When Padme actually confesses to Anakin that he loves her...no one buys it. It's laughable. There's no chemistry there at all. Not to mention all his creepy, unsettling behavior toward her the entire film. 

Clone Wars, the character actually sounds more natural. But here's my issue with Clone Wars. Clone Wars doesn't fit in with the prequels at all. It feels like a completely different universe, a different story and different characters. In Clone Wars, the clones are actually given individual personalities. They are given hopes and desires and dreams. They are given ambitions. They are not characters in the live-action films. Even that moment where it seems like Cody is supposed to be sharing camaraderie with Obi-Wan rings hollow. There's no actual warmth or friendship there. They are truly clones. They aren't friends or allies. Yet Clone Wars wants us to believe the opposite. 

To be fair, I'm not even sure a better actor and Portman actually giving a shit would've helped the shit dialog Lucas wrote (and finished with a not great TV writer A WEEK BEFORE FILMING STARTED) or that Lucas can't really direct actors that aren't in sceneary chewing mode , give a shit, or who's baseline is most people's best.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TheVileOne said:

Clone Wars, the character actually sounds more natural. But here's my issue with Clone Wars. Clone Wars doesn't fit in with the prequels at all. It feels like a completely different universe, a different story and different characters.

I'll take the Clone Wars over the prequels every time.

'George! You can type this shit, but you sure can't say it!

-Harrison Ford

The whole concept of an elementary school age boy falling in love for life with a girl who I guess was supposed to be in her teens, but played by an actress much older than that, and then they actually do end up together, was just gross, dumb, and not believable.  There's no storyline reason why Anakin couldn't have been older.

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 5

5 hours ago, Technico Support said:

-Harrison Ford

The whole concept of an elementary school age boy falling in love for life with a girl who I guess was supposed to be in her teens, but played by an actress much older than that, and then they actually do end up together, was just gross, dumb, and not believable.  There's no storyline reason why Anakin couldn't have been older.

I've heard that the original plan was for Anakin to be around 12-13 years old in Phantom Menace.  But Lucas decided that his separation from his mom would be more impactful if he was younger.  I think I heard that on some youtube channel breakdown of Ep. 1, so don't take that as gospel.  

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Log said:

I've heard that the original plan was for Anakin to be around 12-13 years old in Phantom Menace.  But Lucas decided that his separation from his mom would be more impactful if he was younger.  I think I heard that on some youtube channel breakdown of Ep. 1, so don't take that as gospel.  

That makes a lot of sense.  What makes no sense is that, after the change, Lucas didn't realize that now his love story is gross and weird.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Technico Support said:

Lucas didn't realize that now his love story is gross and weird.

George Lucas himself is gross and weird.

• Like 2