DVDVR Message Board

ALL ENCOMPASSING STAR WARS THREAD

RIPPA

I did not expect this show to justify/lampshade the Star Wars Ice Cream Guy meme but here we are.

Also, I loved the John Wick vibe I got when it became evident that every single bounty hunter at the station was suddenly after Mando.

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 3

So, as I'm working my way through Star Wars stuff, I re-watched "Attack of the Clones" and the animated "Clone Wars" movie yesterday. 

Ugh, "Attack" is awful. Anakin should've been shot into the sun 5 years previously. I also hate hate hate how his obsession and Padmé's.... I dunno what was made into twoo wuv. 

The animation for "Clone Wars" is ugly as fuck, but the storytelling is great. Looking forward to meeting a bunch of new characters in the series. 

• Like 3

giphy.gif

One of my favourite scenes from the Star Wars prequel trilogy, the talk between Chancellor Palpatine and Anakin Skywalker in Star Wars: Episode III - Revenge of the Sith (2005). The others:

Qui-Gon Jinn/Obi-Wan Kenobi vs. Darth Maul set to Duel of the Fates, Star Wars: Episode I - The Phantom Menace (1999)

Palpatine vs. Mace Windu and how that goes into Anakin Skywalker becoming Darth Vader, apprentice to Darth Sidious. Star Wars: Episode III - Revenge of the Sith (2005).

Sidious vs. Yoda. Star Wars: Episode III - Revenge of the Sith (2005).

Obi-Wan Kenobi vs. Darth Vader, Star Wars: Episode III - Revenge of the Sith (2005).

You will have noticed, there's nothing of the worst Star Wars film: Episode II - Attack of the Clones (2002).

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, The Natural said:

You will have noticed, there's nothing of the worst Star Wars film: Episode II - Attack of the Clones (2002).

Exactly. I loved having Christopher Lee bringing his gravitas to Count Dooku, but he was already almost 90 at that point and could barely move. The fight scenes were shot to try to minimize the fact that they had to use stunt doubles and boy does it show when you compare it to almost any other prequel fight. 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Eivion said:

I have so little memory of Attack of the Clones. Like I know some of the story aspects and the end result, but I can't quite remember what it actually was about or any specific scenes.

It’s about Natalie Portman, and her exposed midriff.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

On 11/27/2019 at 7:09 AM, The Natural said:

giphy.gif

One of my favourite scenes from the Star Wars prequel trilogy, the talk between Chancellor Palpatine and Anakin Skywalker in Star Wars: Episode III - Revenge of the Sith (2005). The others:

Qui-Gon Jinn/Obi-Wan Kenobi vs. Darth Maul set to Duel of the Fates, Star Wars: Episode I - The Phantom Menace (1999)

Palpatine vs. Mace Windu and how that goes into Anakin Skywalker becoming Darth Vader, apprentice to Darth Sidious. Star Wars: Episode III - Revenge of the Sith (2005).

Sidious vs. Yoda. Star Wars: Episode III - Revenge of the Sith (2005).

Obi-Wan Kenobi vs. Darth Vader, Star Wars: Episode III - Revenge of the Sith (2005).

You read that JJ quote about his favorite scene, huh? I agree with him too. I remember my sister dragged me to see it after I was underwhelmed by the first two. By the time that scene ended I was like “This ain’t bad. Kudos to you George.”. I had that same kind of revelation after Optimus Prime blew off Leonard Nimoy’s face, and decapitated Megatron at the end of Dark of The Moon. 

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs
  • Like 2

Sort of a rehashed plot this week. It looked more like a Star Trek episode this time, but still alright. This week's episode was more a 7.5 out of 10 for me, while I'd rate Ep. 2 an 8/10 and episode 3 a 9/10.

I'm just not sure I ever want to see a Seven Samurai with Jedi movie because Star Wars has already gone to that well a couple times now. 

I didn't really see the Goblin Slayer/Mando comparisons until this week. Favreau is an anime and manga fan, so wouldn't surprise me if he's familiar with Goblin Slayer.

3 minutes ago, Raziel said:

Mandalorian is way more a Lone Wolf and Cub and Samurai Jack mashup than Goblin Slayer.

The way he treats his armor is reminiscent of Goblin Slayer. I'm not seeing the Samurai Jack aspect. He is a bit too mercenary for that comparison.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Raziel said:

Mandalorian is way more a Lone Wolf and Cub and Samurai Jack mashup than Goblin Slayer.

I saw a few people making the comparisons for earlier episodes on Twitter and I didn't really see it until he started talking to Omera (Julia Jones) and just had these short one word answers. Sort of reminded me "Souka [I see]." Possibly minor and reaching a little yeah. 

But Lone Wolf and Cub, old samurai movies, spaghetti westerns are all woven into the fabric of the show. I mean this episode itself was basically the oft-recycled Seven Samurai/Magnificent Seven plot. Something Dave Filoni had already pulled from once before for Clone Wars. 

And just about every major long-running TV show rips off this basic Seven Samurai narrative at some point. Even the old-school Garfield show did a version of Rashomon back in the day.

Basically, Hollywood's been ripping off Akira Kurosawa for decades and it continues today ?