DVDVR Message Board

ALL ENCOMPASSING STAR WARS THREAD

RIPPA

13 minutes ago, Eivion said:

I've never read the books so I have no hate for the idea of Boba Fett surviving. That question from month's ago was just an idle curiosity. I know the Mandalorian isn't Fett. No reason to think otherwise.

Oh, I'm not coming down on you, Eivion.   You're a good dude.

I just share Raziel's disdain of all things associated with Traviss's Mandalorian storyline.  I loved her ideas about Mandalorian society but frankly, her Randian notions about the Jedi and morality really sucked.

Edited by J.T.

3 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Game of Thrones creators David Benioff & D.B. Weiss are no longer making their Star Wars movies

They say it is because of their contract with Netflix

This would totally be believable if not for that recent news of them not knowing what the fuck they were doing in Game of Thrones the first few seasons and having to learn as they went along. You have to imagine They want to avoid that kind of shit with Star Wars at this point.

Just now, J.T. said:

Oh, I am not hating on you, Eivion.  That is impossible.

I just share Raziel's disdain of all things associated with Traviss's Mandalorian storyline.  I loved her ideas about Mandalorian society but frankly, her Randian notions about the Jedi and morality really sucked.

I know its something you hate, but I would like to hear more about this.

10 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

From what I've heard about this Traviss Mandalorian/Jedi stuff, she basically glosses up Mandalorian society and culture and makes Jedis into Skeletor. 

Well that sounds utterly ridiculous. I would say I'm surprised Lucas and oc. were ok with that stuff, but I guess they saw it as a case of them never likely to use much of it anyways.

Edited by Eivion
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, TheVileOne said:

From what I've heard about this Traviss Mandalorian/Jedi stuff, she basically glosses up Mandalorian society and culture and makes Jedis into Skeletor. 

This is pretty much it in a nutshell.

If you asked Karen herself, she'd probably cop out and says that it is impossible for her to "hate" the Jedi because you cannot hate something that doesn't exist.  I personally think that's rubbish because you can certainly have emotional feelings one way or the other about intangible concepts or ideologies.

She feels that the collective discipline of the Jedi Order is akin to mental shackling at best and thought control or Fascism at worst.  She confuses the unquestioning belief that the Jedi have in the Light Side of the Force with blind faith.   I disagree because while you will find room for debate in the real world when it comes to the subject of spiritual highfathers, supreme beings, and the like, the existence of The Force in the SW universe is UNDENIABLE.  

Little mother fuckers use it to lift starfighters out of swamps just to prove a point for fuck's sake.  

Meanwhile here in the real, you can stretch out with your feelings as much as you like and you still won't be able to choke a mother fucker from the other side of a room.

I've tried.  It doesn't work.

It's obvious she has some religion vs. spirituality issues in her head that she needs to work out and she can fucking do that without imprinting her bullshit on the Jedi Order.  The malevolent entropy that is Sith ideology is not the freedom of expression that she assumes that it is.  It is a dogma all its own, but it is born from hate and fear rather than love and harmony.

The SW universe is not a mythology born of objectivism .  There are clear forces of good and evil at work beyond the ken of mortals.  Despite the advanced technology born of intellect, there are still things in the galaxy that reason cannot explain and the Rebellion is the finest example that truest measure of heroes is not found in the pursuit of their own individual happiness.

Or least there were things in the galaxy that defied reason before fucking midochloreans, but that is a whole 'nother ugly debate.

As for the Mandalorians, Traviss loves her Mary Sue heroes, so the Mandalorians are always the best at everything and can't ever do anything wrong.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 3

I can agree that the discipline of the Jedi Order is mentally shackling to some degree. To go as far as to call it fascism though is again, utterly ridiculous. I'm glad they seemingly haven;t pulled much from her work.

Edited by Eivion
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, Eivion said:

I can agree that the discipline of the Jedi Order is mentally shackling to some degree. To go as far as to call it fascism though is again, utterly ridiculous. I'm glad they seemingly haven;t pulled much from her work.

She's an excellent writer.  She just has an annoying way of barging in to shared universes and not honoring anything written before her materiel.

I support original ideas, but I don't appreciate her lack of respect.

There are people that have written perfectly good Lovecraftian horror and are able stay faithful to the lore without dissing Lovecraft.

That's a big ask for me.  I am all about the Cthulu, but racist HP can eat a bag of shit.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, Raziel said:

I mean, Traviss actually had a Skywalker Sith Lord that ended up taking over the Galaxy for a hot minute piss his pants because he thought he pissed off Boba Fett, so yeah.

I honestly think that the ease of which Jango Fett was beheaded by Mace Windu was the first FU to the Traviss Mandalorian saga.

The second was the Disney XD episode of Star Wars: Rebels that pretty much distanced official SWU from her EU content.  The Mandalorian homeworld in SW:R looked NOTHING like Traviss's depictions.

44 minutes ago, J.T. said:

I honestly think that the ease of which Jango Fett was beheaded by Mace Windu was the first FU to the Traviss Mandalorian saga.

The second was the Disney XD episode of Star Wars: Rebels that pretty much distanced official SWU from her EU content.  The Mandalorian homeworld in SW:R looked NOTHING like Traviss's depictions.

What did Mandalore look like in Traviss's deceptions? The world looks wildly different between Clone Wars and Rebels, but that is also after being in a state of civil war and Imperial fucking for some 20 odd years.

Edited by Eivion

6 minutes ago, Eivion said:

What did Mandalore look like in Traviss's deceptions? The world looks wildly different between Clone Wars and Rebels, but that is also after being in a state of civil war and Imperial fucking for some 20 odd years.

Stolen straight from the Wookiepedia discussion forums.

In the Republic Commando series, written by Karen Traviss, Mandalore is pictured as a very "normal" planet. With the Kelita river running through the capital, forests and vast plains up north, marketplaces, festival areas, usual "on-the-street" cafés, the highest and standing out building is MandalMotors'...

But in the Clone Wars animated series, Mandalore is shown to be almost like a union of several and far between Borg Cubes if you get my meaning, with confined spaces, futuristic looking environments, docking ports - schools - dwellings set very high from the planetary surface...

In recent years, the two versions have been reconciled.

Despite the radical departure from established canon the television series made use of for Mandalore, the later reference books The Essential Atlas and the Star Wars: The Clone Wars: New Battlefronts: The Visual Guide made several retcons that effectively integrated the new version of Mandalore with prior, more arboreal iterations, stating collectively that the barren desert is in fact only one aspect of Mandalore's varied ecosystems, and the previously established jungles and forests were still accepted as canon.

Edited by J.T.
  • Haha 1

If there's one sci-fi trope I don't like, it's the 'one ecosystem per planet' trope. Every human being has spent their whole life on a planet that has mountains, deserts, arctic wastes, lush green forests, post industrial wastelands, giant cities of skyscrapers, farm land et cetera. But in sci fi, each planet has to be just one thing all over. I once read a book where it was winter on a planet. The whole planet, it was winter. At the same time. That's not how seasons work, is it?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, AxB said:

If there's one sci-fi trope I don't like, it's the 'one ecosystem per planet' trope. Every human being has spent their whole life on a planet that has mountains, deserts, arctic wastes, lush green forests, post industrial wastelands, giant cities of skyscrapers, farm land et cetera. But in sci fi, each planet has to be just one thing all over. I once read a book where it was winter on a planet. The whole planet, it was winter. At the same time. That's not how seasons work, is it?

I believe this is referred to as "raining on Mongo".

1 hour ago, Curt McGirt said:

I'm probably the last person to post in this thread and this is the last post you'd think to see in this thread, but as soon as I heard that voice in the Mandalorian commercial I was reminded of this. 

"I've been at parties where humans have held bottles, pencils, thermoses in front of themselves and called out, 'Hey, look at me! I'm Mr. So and So Dick. I've got such and such for a penis.' I never saw it fail to get a laugh."

Edited by TheVileOne

20 hours ago, AxB said:

If there's one sci-fi trope I don't like, it's the 'one ecosystem per planet' trope.  I once read a book where it was winter on a planet. The whole planet, it was winter. At the same time. That's not how seasons work, is it?

I get what you're saying, but planets with multiple seasons are the exception to the rule in real life.

It's Summer all the time on Mercury, homie.

Most of those one ecosystem planet tales are mostly allegories and the nature of the planet is mostly symbolic.  

Take Dune for example.

Arrakis is a harsh barren world until revolution comes in the form of messiah figure Paul Atriedes and then suddenly it rains for the first time ever and the most hellish planet in the galaxy becomes the seat of power for the entire universe.

Going back to what you were saying, if humans could colonize other planets then those worlds would at least need to have an atmosphere, climate, and gravity, that could sustain life.  Not just ours, but the biodiversity we'd have to introduce in order to sustain a sizeable population.

These planets won't necessarily gain any new natural features than they started with.   There might be be water if we magicked the atmosphere, but if the soil could not sustain the kinds of flora that we'd need to feed ourselves and the animals we'd consume then it would pretty much look like Mars did at the end of the original Total Recall joint.  Barren surface but hey, at least you can breathe the air.

Climate is determined by atmospheric conditions on that planet, gravity, and its distance in relation to the star it orbits around.   A planet like Mars might very well not have any seasons other than raining and not raining if we terraformed it so that we could breathe the atmosphere and the terrain would look the same as it ever did.  The whole planet would pretty much have the same ecosystem.

Conversely, a planet in Earth's sweet spot that orbited a Blue star would probably be as barren as Mercury if it didn't have the magnetosphere to handle the radiation.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 2

Damn.  The Mandalorian looks great visually.  Seems like a feature film budget.

So, there's news going around that there's a "spoiler" for the SW Universe in the first episode.  

Here's my crackpot theory as to what it is:

Spoiler

I read somewhere that the rumored over-arching plot of the show involves the title character being tasked with killing a baby, but not being able to do it.  My (not-at-all informed by anything other than a wild guess) theory is that the baby is Rey and we'll meet her parents.

6 hours ago, Log said:

Damn.  The Mandalorian looks great visually.  Seems like a feature film budget.

So, there's news going around that there's a "spoiler" for the SW Universe in the first episode.  

Here's my crackpot theory as to what it is:

Hide contents

I read somewhere that the rumored over-arching plot of the show involves the title character being tasked with killing a baby, but not being able to do it.  My (not-at-all informed by anything other than a wild guess) theory is that the baby is Rey and we'll meet her parents.

Timing wouldn't make sense for when Rey was born and when this show takes place.

14 hours ago, TheVileOne said:

Reveal hidden contents

Timing wouldn't make sense for when Rey was born and when this show takes place.

How old is Rey supposed to be?  Doesn't it (The Mandalorian) take place about 5 years after Jedi?  Isn't Force Awakens around 30 years after Jedi?  That'd make her about 25.  I may be way off on all of that.

On 10/31/2019 at 8:27 AM, Log said:

How old is Rey supposed to be?  Doesn't it (The Mandalorian) take place about 5 years after Jedi?  Isn't Force Awakens around 30 years after Jedi?  That'd make her about 25.  I may be way off on all of that.

Rey was born 11 years after Endor. 

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...