DVDVR Message Board

ALL ENCOMPASSING STAR WARS THREAD

RIPPA

I concur, the biggest take I'm having with the Solo trailers and that little much maligned "side trip" in Last Jedi is that there's a whole galaxy of stuff that doesn't directly tie in to Jedi/Sith-Empire/Republic stuff that it's an untapped well that we've never seen.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, MonteCarl said:

So basically just a little after Luke and The Gang destroy the 2nd Death Star, kill Vader, and topple the Empire? Shouldn't things be "happy" during that time? Doesn't seem like much to base a series around. There are no more Jedi. The corrupt Empire is dead and the Republic is being rebuilt. Would it basically be how the First Order rose back up from the ashes of the Empire? I dunno, just seems an odd timeframe to set a new series.

The Empire never fully died. Its one of the reasons the First Order ended up happening. I assume the two shows happening in between ROJ & TFA will show how they managed to build themselves up.

I moved Solo discussion into its own thread. 

Roland's post didn't have spoilers but it was a good starting point

THAT THREAD WILL CONTAIN SPOILERS!

So you can still post here with generic Solo discussion

3 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Per Hollywood Reporter - James Mangold (Logan) will write and direct a Boba Fett stand alone movie

I will go see it as long as it isn't influenced by any Karen Traviss "Mandalorians Good / Jedi Bad" bullshit.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, J.T. said:

I will go see it as long as it isn't influenced by any Karen Traviss "Mandalorians Good / Jedi Bad" bullshit.

It'll be Rebels Mandos, which will be 1000x better than any of that Boba is a God and all Jedi were the real Space Nazi tripe that Traviss wrote.

Rebels pretty much retconed all the Traviss Fett worship out of existence in Season 4/5.

On 5/27/2018 at 12:56 AM, Brian Fowler said:

Solo is not performing as well as expected domestically, and early reports are the international returns are significantly worse. 

Yes:

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/box-office-solo-a-star-wars-story-struggles-hit-100m-us-crashes-overseas-1114854

So-low.

• Haha 1

Reasons I've come up with:

Word of mouth and the production troubles. 

Was a Han Solo film necessary? 

Lack of interest compared to The Force Awakens, Rogue One and The Last Jedi. 

Avengers: Infinity War and Deadpool 2 competition. Jurassic Park: Fallen Kingdom and the Incredibles II will damage/take screenings from Solo too. 

Moving from May to December. Since Star Wars returned in 2015, all but Solo came out in December. 

Too many Star Wars films. 

The Last Jedi feedback. 

I'm casual to Star Wars and a recent convert so you'll all know better than me when it comes to them. 

• Like 1

I think it's all of that, plus a movie that asks no interesting questions/provides no compelling answers. "Why is Han Solo like that?" is not something anyone has ever asked, much less demanded a movie explain, step-by-step.

I do hope Disney learns some things, and makes more vital movies in what ought to be a functionally infinite galaxy, because I'm going to see them all regardless. And they already made back their money from the Lucasfilm purchase with TLJ; combined with merchandising and a lot of free/cheap advertising on other properties they own, and barring another series of production fiascoes, it's basically all profit from here on out, no matter what they do. I know corporate reality demands more perpetually, but it may be that that coincides with creative interests.

• Like 1

And of course, when it’s called out, the stream of “so you can’t handle legitimate criticism?” and “name calling makes you the real bully!” begins. Disingenuous bullshit, that doesn’t really have anything to do with TLJ, but is instead about ownership and control, (almost exclusively) weaponized white male entitlement. “Star Wars is mine because I played Dark Forces rather than going on bike rides with friends, because I had a millennium falcon birthday cake and read all the Thrawn novels, even the goddamn clone ones, and I’d rather see it destroyed than grow beyond the impossible nostalgia I attach to a piece of entertainment media.” 

*All mocking biographical notes taken from my own childhood, and yet I manage not to be a frothing bigot about this shit. Liking one of the most popular things in the history of things doesn’t make you an oppressed class—shocking.

• Like 7

On ‎6‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 5:38 PM, Dolfan in NYC said:

People fucking suck.

That really blows goats. 

My only complaint about her character is that her hairdo is straight from a Final Fantasy game.

• Haha 1

Just now, Betsy Zeidler said:

Which came out 20 years ago, so Rose's hair is actually a nostalgic reference, like everything else in the Disney Star Wars movies.

Is there documentation connecting TLJ and Final Fantasy 8? I'd find such a thing amusing to read.