DVDVR Message Board

ALL ENCOMPASSING STAR WARS THREAD

RIPPA

Rian Johnson said that if you want to be completely unspoiled don't watch the new trailer tonight

Which of course is being reported as RIAN JOHNSON DOESN'T WANT YOU TO WATCH THE TRAILER!!!!

The speculation begins! I love this shit whenever a Star Wars trailer drops. This is my favorite so far, taken from Reddit. I actually hope it happens.

Spoiler

Rey is seduced by the answers she desires while Ben becomes repulsed by the answers he's found. He'll kill his mother (or the First Order does it when he hesitates), find he hates himself, attempts redemption. Luke will see Rey's true power and refuse to train her, but at this point she knows too much and needs to know more, becoming the perfect candidate for Snoke.

• Like 4

20 hours ago, Casey said:

The speculation begins! I love this shit whenever a Star Wars trailer drops. This is my favorite so far, taken from Reddit. I actually hope it happens.

Reveal hidden contents

Rey is seduced by the answers she desires while Ben becomes repulsed by the answers he's found. He'll kill his mother (or the First Order does it when he hesitates), find he hates himself, attempts redemption. Luke will see Rey's true power and refuse to train her, but at this point she knows too much and needs to know more, becoming the perfect candidate for Snoke.

If this happened it would be awesome but I am not giving Disney / Lucas the benefit of being that creative.

21 hours ago, Casey said:

Hide contents

Spoiler

I think some version of this is likely to happen though nothing that will go too far with Rey. There is too much at stake pull a move like that with this trilogy. I think its already been said Leia survived this film and I doubt they will change that. Personally I don't want Ren redeemed. I want him to die in IX a sad mess after realizing how much he fucked up.

On 10/9/2017 at 10:18 PM, Raziel403 said:

Johnson was right.  Just saved me $20.

Let's be honest. You have stated your dislike of Force Awakens AND Rogue One

I doubt Last Jedi was ever really gonna get your $20

(And - y'all are crazy if you are spending $20 on a ticket. I never spent more than $10 but I am old and go at like 10:30 in the morning.)

• Like 5

26 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

(And - y'all are crazy if you are spending $20 on a ticket. I never spent more than $10 but I am old and go at like 10:30 in the morning.)

When did I say I disliked Rogue One?  Rogue One I loved.  I am cautiously optimistic about Last Jedi, the "saving $20' bucks line was a joke at the fact that the Trailer seemed to reveal the entire plot.  $20 is about how much an IMAX 3D ticket would cost.  

It's JJ and IX that I'm avoiding.

29 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Paying 19 with tax and fees. I'm also getting it in Dolby sound, 3D, and in a recliner chair.

32 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

You haven't lived in NYC for a long time....

image.png

I have an Alamo Drafthouse two minutes from my place and it's $10.00 for a ticket at matinee prices

Obviously it goes up when I add my food but I get my reserved, comfy seat too

I also am aware IMAX and 3D are more but I never do them (3D because it makes me sick)

Now y'all get off my lawn

We have the whole recliner deal here and I just pay for a child price ticket. I'm shocked that it's been 10 years or so since you could buy tickets at the kiosk or online and nothing stops anyone from buying a $6.50 child price ticket.

18 minutes ago, Craig H said:

We have the whole recliner deal here and I just pay for a child price ticket. I'm shocked that it's been 10 years or so since you could buy tickets at the kiosk or online and nothing stops anyone from buying a $6.50 child price ticket.

Man, no one is even checking tickets at the two theaters I go to until around 3 or 4 in the afternoon. I mean I only have to pay 9.50 anyway so I never pulled it at the one with the kiosk. 

I mean I saw Blade Runner 2049 last Friday and just walked straight in after retrieving my ticket from the kiosk. 

But I will say The Last Jedi is too big of a film to pull this off probably.

Yeah it blows my mind movie ticket prices are that high now.  Crazy.

As for the trailer, definitely glad we finally got one.  It didn't feel like it revealed too much.  Glad we finally got some dialogue for Luke as well.  I think there was some obvious creative editing there though, so I won't jump to any conclusions.

For the record, I did sort of show the worst case scenario.  That's the Lincoln Square IMAX which is probably the best movie screen in the Eastern US.  And yes, the most expensive option for a movie in New York. 

That said, typically, I'm typically paying $16+ for a movie (non-IMAX/RPX/3D/reserved seats) and up to $21 for the premium viewings. And yes, it's bonkers but I'm generally okay with it because, I like going to the movies, and typically, the things I pay for are the things I really want to see.