DVDVR Message Board

ALL ENCOMPASSING STAR WARS THREAD

RIPPA

15 hours ago, Kuetsar said:

Plus, Harrison Ford's issues aside, killing off Han Solo is close to unforgivable, for me at least. If you put a gun to my head and made me chose between TFA and ROTS, I'm probably picking Sith, but that's just me. . .

If I remember correctly Harrison wanted to be killed off in the original trilogy and that was a couple decades ago.  It seemed like the only way he'd do this is Han was killed off so I don't know if I'd pin that solely on writers/directors.  Plus it did fit into the Kylo story as this wayward youth who would betray his dad for evil.

And I liked TFA and was cool with the familiar elements from the past.  It washed away the prequels and got me excited for Last Jedi.  We'll see how Episode IX pans out, but I'm honestly fine with JJ directing.

• Like 1

This board has a weird view of things sometimes. It's probably even in this thread where someone said TFA wasn't well received as a way to support their own bias despite vast amounts of evidence to the contrary. So that a few of us are in the, "Yeah, this is fine" category isn't surprising.

• Thanks 1

JJ Abrams is a guy who starts projects and then abandons them. He does beginnings and middles, but never endings. So I don't fancy his chances.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

Most of this reads like bullshit to me.  None of this animosity was around two years ago.  Now it's cool to hate Force Awakens because Trey Parker and Matt Stone said JJ Abrams was lazy and told you al you should.

It's worth going back and looking at  what everyone said at the time. I do think that there was an initial wave of relief and nostalgia that has long wore off. But some  of the same criticisms were there at the time.

I literally had no idea Parker and Stone said anything about TFA. I loved it in the theater, liked it less the first time I watched it on blu-ray, and less still the third time. I think it set things up very well, I think certain things worked extremely well, but it doesn't hold up very well at all.

Rogue One, on the other hand, is still fucking great

• Like 1

8 hours ago, TheVileOne said:

None of the reactions were as negative as what's sweeping through here right now.

After grumbling about Disney not going with the Thrawn trilogy or adopting the Yuuzhan Vong storyline for their new trilogy (not that they rights to do that anyway), I decided to stop being a grumpy old man and give Disney's crack at Star Wars a chance.

Overall, I enjoyed TFA, but it's not the new direction in the narrative that most were led to believe it was going to be.

Space Nazis trying to nuke the enemy with a doomsday weapon has been the basic plot of three out of seven films in the trilogy and destroying an enemy base with a one and a million shot has been the conclusion for four movies.

The only projects that feel like new departures are Rogue One and the proposed Han Solo joints and even those concepts are very shopworn in the movie franchise.

I personally would like to see Disney purge the Lucasfilm recycle bin, but the new trilogy is shaping up to be more of the same.  It's very well done more of the same, but still more of the same.

9 hours ago, TheVileOne said:

Most of this reads like bullshit to me.  None of this animosity was around two years ago.  Now it's cool to hate Force Awakens because Trey Parker and Matt Stone said JJ Abrams was lazy and told you al you should.

Never saw what Parker and Stone said.  I was against JJ after the abomination that was Into Darkenss exposed JJ as nothing but pinache and ZOMG cool scenes that make no sense when you think about the narrative for one second.  I was relieved when I saw TFA that if felt like Star Wars, but with each rewatch, it's flaws of being nothing but a nostaliga trip of people hyped to see the Falcon flying to a John Williams soundtrack gushing all over it, and nothing  holds up.  And that the Rey is a Mary Sue crowd was dead on upon closer inspection.

Once the Nostaliga wears off, TFA is one of those movies that if you saw without the Star Wars characters, you'd be wondering how Lucasfilm hasn't sued the producers yet.

5 hours ago, J.T. said:

After grumbling about Disney not going with the Thrawn trilogy or adopting the Yuuzhan Vong storyline for their new trilogy (not that they rights to do that anyway), I decided to stop being a grumpy old man and give Disney's crack at Star Wars a chance.

Overall, I enjoyed TFA, but it's not the new direction in the narrative that most were led to believe it was going to be.

Space Nazis trying to nuke the enemy with a doomsday weapon has been the basic plot of three out of seven films in the trilogy and destroying an enemy base with a one and a million shot has been the conclusion for four movies.

The only projects that feel like new departures are Rogue One and the proposed Han Solo joints and even those concepts are very shopworn in the movie franchise.

I personally would like to see Disney purge the Lucasfilm recycle bin, but the new trilogy is shaping up to be more of the same.  It's very well done more of the same, but still more of the same.

But many people complained about the prequels because it didn't feel like Star Wars.

17 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

But many people complained about the prequels because it didn't feel like Star Wars.

I think the problems people complained about concerning the prequels stemmed from the multiple recon issues like Artoo sprouting hover jets and the unpopular decision to demystify the Force.

There was also Anakin's ridiculous dialogue supporting a retarded Sith world view concerning the Jedi being "evil" and Vader being remarkably un-Vader and openly grieving Padme.

I've come to accept the reasons why Lucas killed Maul off so early since he didn't want such an immediately iconic character to overshadow Vader, but IMO Anakin besting Maul in an saber fight for the ages would've been a far better testament to Vader's future badassery than the jobbing of Dooku did.

13 hours ago, J.T. said:

I think the problems people complained about concerning the prequels stemmed from the multiple recon issues like Artoo sprouting hover jets and the unpopular decision to demystify the Force.

There was also Anakin's ridiculous dialogue supporting a retarded Sith world view concerning the Jedi being "evil" and Vader being remarkably un-Vader and openly grieving Padme.

I've come to accept the reasons why Lucas killed Maul off so early since he didn't want such an immediately iconic character to overshadow Vader, but IMO Anakin besting Maul in an saber fight for the ages would've been a far better testament to Vader's future badassery than the jobbing of Dooku did.

Look.  People like what they like.  But this sudden aversion to Force Awakens is still weird to me.  It's like it took a year for the Backlash to set in.

There were issues I had with Force Awakens and things I thought were clumsy, ie Chewy just rushing past Leia after Han died and Leia hugging Rey, a woman she did not know or had ever met for some reason.  I thought the Rath-tar scene was sort of goofy and felt a little weird and out of place.  I didn't like how they looked either.  I think in some ways the script could've used another layer of polish and spit shine, but that resulted from Abrams and Kasdan doing a page one rewrite and crafting a new story from what Michael Arndt had done, tossing it in the trash, and basically rewriting it in six months.  Arndt for his part struggled with the story and couldn't figure out how to put focus on the new characters when Luke Skywalker showed up.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Kuetsar said:

I've heard Lucas killed off Maul because his daughter was scared of him on the set. . . 

That too.  Maul was far more imposing than Vader, so he had to go early.

5 hours ago, TheVileOne said:

Look.  People like what they like.  But this sudden aversion to Force Awakens is still weird to me.  It's like it took a year for the Backlash to set in.

How is this unnatural?  Some things don't age as well as you'd expect them to, and you can be more objective as you watch the movie.

Positive reviews and movie buzz tend to create a hive mind when fans are concerned and they all get swept up in the immediacy and that is magnified while watching the movie in a theater as opposed to on television in the privacy of your own home.

I've watched TFA a few times on Starz! On Demand.  I still enjoy it as a story, but I also can see that TFA is shaping up to have nearly the exact same character dynamic as the first trilogy right down the possible conclusion that Kylo Ren will be a redeemed bad guy much like Vader was.

Different films but nearly the exact same plot progression.  What the fuck, man?

I can't wait to roll my eyes at the screen when Ren lops off one of Rey's hands in The Last Jedi.  Right on schedule!

REY~!  I AM YOUR FATHER, ER, BROTHER~!  SEARCH YOUR FEELINGS, YOU KNOW IT TO BE TRUE~!

TFA and Rogue One are still awesome to me!

I also rewatched the prequels recently and enjoyed them, not great movies by any means but they are enjoyable enough. In fact My memory of them was nowhere near as bad as I thought they would be, Hayden Christiansen was nowhere near as whiny as I remembered. JarJar though....

• Like 1

I wonder if the people who watch these movies that aren't complete uber Star Wars geeks have a problem with this. Because I definitely fall into that category, and I don't really give a fuck who directs any of these movies. I've watched The Force Awakens probably 4 times (never in the theater, just online/when it came to the premium movie channels) and it doesn't get worse each time like someone said in this thread.

Of course, I'm probably being a bit hypocritical since I definitely care about the Marvel movies the same way you guys care about these Star Wars movies.

• 3 weeks later...