DVDVR Message Board

ALL ENCOMPASSING STAR WARS THREAD

RIPPA

32 minutes ago, J.T. said:

And Jesus Fuck, that had better not be a pod race I see in that fucking trailer..

It's hard to see in the moving shots, but if you freeze frame there are Imperial----New Empire At-At walkers in the distance

• Like 1

On 14/04/2017 at 0:53 PM, Death From Above said:

Confirmed: Revan and Krela were right. Even Skywalker knows the Jedi must end. Lucas' "balance through annihilating anything you don't agree with" was full of shit.

Not really news, but still nice to see Revan won.

Not that they're going to do it, or intended to do it, but the Old Republic games mixed with the Movies/Cartoons have a good base for a whole "Anakin was the one to bring balance by wiping out the Jedi because with no Jedi or Sith, the pendelium of Light and Dark stops swinging to either extreme and Luke finally figures it out here" story.

But that's giving too much credit.

• Like 1

Atheistic Luke Skywalker is an interesting spin on things. And honestly, the Jedi and Sith only bring about an endless cycle of death and destruction. What balance has there been to the Force? The Sith want to wipe out the Jedi resulting in a lack of balance. The Jedi in return seek to defeat the Sith and ensure there are more Jedi resulting in a total lack of balance. If Luke realizes that balance is a myth and a painful exercise, that would be pretty cool. It wouldn't mean there would be no more Force sensitive beings in the galaxy, but at least there would be some honesty to looking at those who would be Force sensitive and understand that there will be some good and some bad and more often than not there will be more of one than the other.

My 8yo daughter just told me, "I can't wait" re: seeing the new Star Wars film.  ("Force Awakens" was her first Star Wars experience.)  It was really something to see that level of anticipation for something from her, especially about this universe of films that I grew up on.  It was a genuinely nice moment.

That's really cool. My 6 year old daughter (she'll be 7 in May) is super excited as well. I think her words were something like "I wish I didn't see that now because it will be so hard to wait until Christmas to see it!" She also went as Rey for Halloween.

Oddly enough, she's still not that interested in the original trilogy (I'm not even going to bother with the prequel trilogy). Maybe someday she'll be into it.

13 hours ago, Eivion said:

Still surprised to see Rebels ending already. Not sure why, but I thought it would go to at least 5 seasons. I'm curious if they will replace it with anything.

They'll be making more shows after this. I've really enjoyed Rebels though I'd rather them end it early than have it drag on.

• 2 weeks later...

I normally don't post in this thread much if at all, but just wanted to say Happy Star Wars Day to everybody.  I'm very much looking forward to Last Jedi, but have some SW goodness on tap for tonight.

• 1 month later...

Phil Lord and Chris Miller have left as directors of the Young Han Solo movie over creative differences

Yes - the movie was in the middle of shooting.

I have a bad feeling about this

4 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Phil Lord and Chris Miller have left as directors of the Young Han Solo movie over creative differences

Yes - the movie was in the middle of shooting.

I have a bad feeling about this

It pretty much sounds like Kathleen Kennedy fired them, and they didn't leave. They just let them save face with the "creative differences" tagline.

Kennedy and Larry Kasdan didn't like them from the beginning, which begs the question why did they let them shoot for five months?

Also, I confused (well, not really because they clearly wanted their name and not their creative input) as to why they hired Phil Lord & Chris Miller to do a serious Western or heist type film when it was evident they were going to do a Phil Lord & Chris Miller film. 

Well, it looks like the cast is getting a pay bump for all the reshoots they'll be doing. Like the Rogue One cast did, in fact.

12 minutes ago, EVA said:

Kathleen Kennedy really shit the bed with the SW Properties so far.

FTFY

Although Rogue One was good, although I'm thinking it was in spite of her.

• Like 1

Not that they give a shit but...

You know what would send a wonderful message to your current and future directors? Hiring the guy who played a hand in firing the directors who originally directed one of your films. 

56 minutes ago, Raziel403 said:

FTFY

Although Rogue One was good, although I'm thinking it was in spite of her.

The overwhelming consensus is that TFA was good or better and is the third highest grossing film of all time. Rogue One wasn't as well reviewed, but it's still regarded as being better than shitting the bed, in spite of her or not, and it's the 22nd highest grossing film of all time.

This may be a weird take to you, but Kathleen Kennedy is doing just fine. The firing of Lord and Miller is dumb considering she should have known what she was getting (has she never seen 21 Jump Street or The Lego Movie??), but Rian Johnson is a fantastic hire for director. My biggest concern is handing the wheel over to Colin Trevorrow for the final act of this trilogy. Jurassic World was shit, this Book of Henry movie looks like an even bigger piece of shit, and for him to pull off a successful third act feels more and more like a long shot. Of course, the writing is what is going to matter the most.

Please tell me that Trevorrow didn't have a hand in writing the Episode 9 script.

TFA get's worse with with repeated viewings, but that might be my anti-JJ bias peeking through.  Rian Johnson is a good director, but it's not going to matter if he pulls the JJ Hack job and just makes 7 a beat for beat remake of Empire.  I loved Rogue One, but by all accounts, the reshoots and changes made it a better film that the original ending.

Trevorrow wrote the 9 Script, and while I actually liked Jurassic World, my hopes aren't very high.

• Like 1

Josh Trank was fired before even getting started on a movie.  Gareth Edwards was basically fired from Rogue One.  Lord & Miller were literally fired from Solo.  There are RUMBLINGZ~! Trevorrow may be out on Episode 9 before it even starts filming.  Even Abrams had a troubled production on TFA.  

The Last Jedi is the only one of these movies to not have major issues in production, and it wouldn't surprise me if we start hearing horror stories from that one as it gets closer to release.

Regardless of how the movies have ultimately been received, I think its safe to say Kennedy has largely done a shitty job hiring directors.

• Like 1