DVDVR Message Board

ALL ENCOMPASSING STAR WARS THREAD

RIPPA

Andor is great, but it takes 2 episodes to get going.  Once the stuff for the heist starts rolling the show gets good, but it does a LOT of table setting that might be rough to get through.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, BrianS81177 said:

Just watched all of Mandolorian Season 3 and I liked it. Some friends of mine told me it was the worst one so far, and while I haven't sat down and really dissected it I can say it was easily better than Book of Boba Fett and it got me interested immediately unlike Andor (which I watched the first episode of and have not bothered to finish 4 months later).

*edit to add*

And Katee Sackhoff is a much better sidekick for Pascal than Gina Carano was.

I didn't mind this season at all.  I didn't know, before watching, that the show runners didn't want Grogu in this season but the network forced them to.  It didn't feel bad or disjointed or anything, but Grogu definitely felt somewhat superfluous in retrospect.  We did get to see how the New Republic is already showing cracks, and it's happening in a banal, human, bureaucratic way, which is awesome.  Much like Andor showed the initial rise of the Empire due to simple human greed, we're seeing the Republic crumbling not because of some showy events or wars, but through everyday complacency.  It's pretty cool.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

I didn't mind this season at all.  I didn't know, before watching, that the show runners didn't want Grogu in this season but the network forced them to.  It didn't feel bad or disjointed or anything, but Grogu definitely felt somewhat superfluous in retrospect.  We did get to see how the New Republic is already showing cracks, and it's happening in a banal, human, bureaucratic way, which is awesome.  Much like Andor showed the initial rise of the Empire due to simple human greed, we're seeing the Republic crumbling not because of some showy events or wars, but through everyday complacency.  It's pretty cool.

I'm kinda dissappointed that D-Star Wars had the Republic start falling apart within 5 years, but I've come to accept that the majority of the SW Galaxy is a functioning idiot, with a headcanon that the Galaxy being in a perpetual state of war for like, multiple millennia being the cause.

• Like 2

I'm not really surprised the New Republic fell apart so fast. Going back to the details for why Leia left the New Republic, they had their heads firmly stuck in the sand and didn't think a military was needed and didn't want to believe the First Order was a threat. And then they all died. Those beliefs don't come from nowhere so it's sorta fun to see just how early those beliefs started to develop.

• Like 2

Yeah, the Mandalorian being used retroactively as a Force Awakens prequel is okay, I guess.  I liked Force Awakens enough but it loses its luster when you realize it completely reset all the work and sacrifice of our heroes in episodes 4-6.   We have a new Vader, new Empire, new Luke, and the Rebels are back at square 1.  At least showing how it all fell apart is something.  Yes, I am giving this the faintest praise I can muster.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Technico Support said:

I didn't know, before watching, that the show runners didn't want Grogu in this season but the network forced them to.

producer_guy.jpg

"Baby Yoda's in it right?"

"Well his name is Grogu, and no we hadn't planned for him to be in this season because we wanted to focus more on the Mandalo..."

"Put Baby Yoda in it"

Also, I'll give Andor another shot. If I can sit through the entirety of Book of Boba Fett waiting for it to get good, I can sit through a couple episodes of Andor

Edited by BrianS81177
  • Like 1

Aside from trying to get into Mando a couple times and dropping it after a few episodes, Andor is the only D+ Star Wars stuff I've bothered with on account of the overwhelming hype. Not sure it's the best Star Wars thing, but I see why it's so praised. A show with a strong perspective and worldview that has some fun genre beats? Feels like someone's getting away with something in terms of what most big IP is pumping out. Fresh water in a desert. 

Spoiler

Peaks with the prison break stuff and Stellan's big speech. 

• Like 3

With Andor, it's like they just decided to get a bunch of amazing writers, actors and directors and let them loose in the Star Wars universe. For me, the appeal was that it was an extremely well-done story that happened to be set in that world. It wasn't a bunch of lore and references to that guy from the one cartoon, etc. It was just a good story.

Love Andor. It was well done and something different stylistically for Star Wars. Not sure I would say its the best of the Star Wars shows though it ranks high. I do think it being different from the norm gets it a lot of extra points. 

I think Mandalorian is pretty good and generally well done though I do think the finale for the latest season could have been better executed. Still enjoyed the hell out of and the season as a whole. Dug the aspects building to  the First Order and failures of the Republic salongside what is coming with Thrawn. Thought it did a solid job with Mandalore as well. Grogu didn't feel as necessary as previous seasons till the finale, but I liked the little moments they had showing him grow as it went on.

I think all of the shows from the past few years have had generally solid-good stories/plots. Its just the quality of execution in question. Even Book of Boba Fett had plenty of aspects I liked and the overall story was a pretty solid idea. It just had wildly mixed execution. 

• Like 2

Devil's advocate would ponder whether most adult and most mature is necessarily the metric for "best Star Wars show." I fully believe it might be the best show that happens to be set in the Star Wars universe mind you.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 5/24/2023 at 6:59 AM, Technico Support said:

Is this one of those things that the fans believe to be the case, or did the showrunners openly talk about this? 

My main complaint with Andor is that sometimes the lack of aliens is noticeable and then they throw in the aliens at weird times. IMHO, I see no reason why the Empire would have human-only prisons for their labor camps. There are all sorts of humanoid-type non-human aliens throughout Star Wars. I see no reason Andor's prison would only have humans in it. The Imperial military? Yes. The prisons, no. 

But Andy Serkis definitely killed it in Andor, and I thought his performance was good enough to earn an Emmy Award. 

Edited by TheVileOne
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, TheVileOne said:

Is this one of those things that the fans believe to be the case, or did the showrunners openly talk about this? 

My main complaint with Andor is that sometimes the lack of aliens is noticeable and then they throw in the aliens at weird times. IMHO, I see no reason why the Empire would have human-only prisons for their labor camps. There are all sorts of humanoid-type non-human aliens throughout Star Wars. I see no reason Andor's prison would only have humans in it. The Imperial military? Yes. The prisons, no. 

But Andy Serkis definitely killed it in Andor, and I thought his performance was good enough to earn an Emmy Award. 

Good question about Grogu and the showrunners.  I wish I could remember where I read it.

Re: The Empire and Aliens...isn't the Empire pro-human and severely bigoted against aliens?  Maybe the captured aliens are in a different camp, or worse.

2 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

Good question about Grogu and the showrunners.  I wish I could remember where I read it.

Re: The Empire and Aliens...isn't the Empire pro-human and severely bigoted against aliens?  Maybe the captured aliens are in a different camp, or worse.

Except there was nothing humane about those prison camps.  Considering humans are just there to work themselves to exhaustion and then get fried to death, I see no reason to separate humans from non-humans. I would just chalk it up to an oversight by writers. My theory is that I think they were maybe too pragmatic about not getting caught up in “we’re in Star Wars!”

8 hours ago, TheVileOne said:

Couldn't the Empire have had just "humans" at that prison, since they were the best suited for the work they were doing? Wookie's would have been at another prison doing another job, Greedo's at another and so on.

Edited by Mister TV
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, Mister TV said:

Couldn't the Empire have had just "humans" at that prison, since they were the best suited for the work they were doing? Wookie's would have been at another prison doing another job, Greedo's at another and so on.

But I don't understand why? The planet they were sent to wasn't a human colony. Why wouldn't they have Twi'leks or Rodians there? It's not like having non-humans would upset the balance or "purity" of the prison. It makes no sense. The Empire simply needs cheap, disposable labor to build their equipment. There are literally thousands of sentient, intelligent species in this galaxy, and some more closely resemble humans than others. So it just seems like a strange thing to set for your prison when the goal is "make everything as fast and efficiently as possible" and the prisoners go along with it.

To use a Star Trek example, when Kirk and McCoy were sent to a brutal prison camp in Undiscovered Country, they didn't separate humans from non-humans, Klingons, and other races. And this was a time when the Klingons were only just starting to modernize and were begrudgingly joining the Federation. They were still a very brutal and prejudicial race.

Edited by TheVileOne

2 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

But I don't understand why? The planet they were sent to wasn't a human colony. Why wouldn't they have Twi'leks or Rodians there? It's not like having non-humans would upset the balance or "purity" of the prison. It makes no sense. The Empire simply needs cheap, disposable labor to build their equipment. There are literally thousands of sentient, intelligent species in this galaxy, and some more closely resemble humans than others. So it just seems like a strange thing to set for your prison when the goal is "make everything as fast and efficiently as possible" and the prisoners go along with it.

Having actors in make-up or CGI'ing in aliens cost money, that's why they're all humans.

13 minutes ago, Mister TV said:

Having actors in make-up or CGI'ing in aliens cost money, that's why they're all humans.

I mean so does the goofy cockney aliens with their slime nets, who were in the show. You could've had a few aliens at the prison instead with that money. 

Didn't the "The Empire is anti-alien" thing come out of the extended universe novels as a post hoc rationalization for why there were no alien Imperials in the OT?  The only time I remember it being addressed directly was in the Thrawn books.  Has a present canon source addressed this?

2 hours ago, Zimbra said:

Didn't the "The Empire is anti-alien" thing come out of the extended universe novels as a post hoc rationalization for why there were no alien Imperials in the OT?  The only time I remember it being addressed directly was in the Thrawn books.  Has a present canon source addressed this?

I think that was more of an EU thing when it was introduced, not sure if it's been brought up again in revised continuity. But they do recruit non-humans in the Sith Inquisitorious, which is technically Imperial.

• 2 weeks later...

The December 2025 Star Wars movie is no more. That’ll now be coming out May 22, 2026, and a second Star Wars movie is coming out later that year on December 18, 2026.

On 6/13/2023 at 10:24 AM, RIPPA said:

The December 2025 Star Wars movie is no more. That’ll now be coming out May 22, 2026, and a second Star Wars movie is coming out later that year on December 18, 2026.

I'll believe those release dates when I see the trailers. . . 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Finally got around to watching season 3 of The Mandalorian. One episode left and I’ll have more thoughts later, but there is one thing that’s bothering me.

They really had to desecrate IG-11’s body like that? Hey thanks for being a hero, but we’re going to turn you into a Galactic Big Wheel for the kid.

Loving the season otherwise.

e: also concurrently rewatching Rebels, because it fucking rules

Edited by elizium
  • Like 2