DVDVR Message Board

ALL ENCOMPASSING STAR WARS THREAD

RIPPA

On 12/31/2020 at 8:04 PM, Ultimo Necro said:

Attack of the Clones though, maybe because I haven’t watched in 10 years or so, looked way closer to the Clone Wars in style than I remembered. Did it always look this way?

Yes, it’s like watching George Lucas’s attempt at a Robert Rodriguez shot in his garage budget film. Somehow worse given that first film feels like an escalation of the franchise budget before the third film.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/4/2021 at 11:48 AM, Zimbra said:

Somebody mentioned 'peak Grogu' last month and I'm pretty sure "Officially licensed Thomas Kinkade paintings" are Peak Grogu.

Eq6XKR_XcAUiYEZ?format=jpg&name=large

I actually think this is kind of nice. But I do think we were reaching over-saturation on Grogu with Season 2, which is all the better for him to be written out for the time being.

I’m late to the party and you guys have probably discussed it in detail but I just watched the finale of Mandalorian season 2 and I couldn’t stop shaking with giddiness.

Easily one of the best things I’ve seen in a long long time. 

• Like 8

So I’m done with whatever Clone Wars season ended with 

Spoiler

Ahsoka being framed.

My question is 

Spoiler

shouldn’t the Jedi Council been able to use the Force to at least tell Ahsoka was telling the truth? Or was the passing reference to the Dark Side clouding things supposed to address that?

• Like 1

17 hours ago, JonnyLaw said:

So I’m done with whatever Clone Wars season ended with 

Reveal hidden contents

Ahsoka being framed.

My question is 

Reveal hidden contents

shouldn’t the Jedi Council been able to use the Force to at least tell Ahsoka was telling the truth? Or was the passing reference to the Dark Side clouding things supposed to address that?

Spoiler

Yes, it's poorly communicated, but the rise of the Dark side is making it nearly impossible for the Jedi (especially on Coruscant since Palps is right there) to use the more mystical powers.

• Thanks 1

I can’t tell how much I like Clone Wars. It’s definitely good, but think my expectations were probably a little too high based on its reputation.  

That said, I’m old enough that the old school Dagobah playset with the foam quicksand was one of the first toys I can remember, so I’m marking out for these Yoda episodes at a time when I wanted to go to bed early.

• Like 4

I’m going to go out on a limb and assume she’ll be the first person to have a wrestling figure and a Star Wars figure. 

Is Sgt Slaughter the only other wrestler to get a figure in a major non-wrestling toy line?

1 hour ago, Log said:

I’m going to go out on a limb and assume she’ll be the first person to have a wrestling figure and a Star Wars figure. 

Is Sgt Slaughter the only other wrestler to get a figure in a major non-wrestling toy line?

WWE Hall of Famer The Refrigerator Perry also had a GI Joe figure, but no wrestling figure.

• Like 1

You must have rocks in your head, baby.  Fridge's Starting Lineup figure was never produced but Mongo was, baby!  And lemme tell ya something sports fans, that squirmy worm Dennis Rodman got a bunch of figures too, baby.

Piper and Rock also have GI Joes.  Batista has MCU figures.  Sheamus in TMNT.  Bret Hart in The Simpsons.

Mr. T had a large talking solo release as well as Rocky and A-Team figures all out at pretty much the same time in the 80s but just recently got a WWE figure.  Hogan and Michael Buffer have Rocky figures too.  I wouldn't necessarily call Rocky a major toyline but Hogan and T were big deals at the time.

There's some UFC crossovers as well but again, I wouldn't necessarily classify UFC as a major toyline.

• Like 2

The best original character from the sequel trilogy for me has to be:

RmleHyk9aOuEt2qjlmMldk6DOQzsCE8DU=&risl=

Kylo Ren is one of my favourite characters from the entirety of Star Wars to go with Darth Vader (my favourite), Luke Skywalker, Palpatine, Leia Organa and Yoda. I never got the appeal Han Solo has and when he tops polls of the best Star Wars characters.

On 2/4/2021 at 6:48 PM, JonnyLaw said:

So I finished Clone Wars, and it definitely got better as it went on. I thought the last season was clearly the best, so I’m curious what the consensus of people who watched it as it was on is.

I think as a show, Clone Wars is hit and miss. The final season is a good example. Started strong with the Bad Batch stories, then it screeched to a grinding halt with the Ahsoka storyline which could've been wrapped up in 1 or 2 episodes. 

My overall problem though is that it still feels far removed from the prequels as stories. Like as a Star Wars show its solid, but it only emphasizes the giant plot holes. Also, Anakin is nothing like his character in the films. I think Anakin in this show is probably closer to what they wanted in the movies. No one at Lucasfilm will ever say it, but there's no way you could build an episodic TV show based around Hayden Christensen's stilted and awkward performance as Anakin. Hence why Anakin on Clone Wars is completely the opposite of Anakin, and it's fairly glaring.

On 2/4/2021 at 8:48 PM, JonnyLaw said:

So I finished Clone Wars, and it definitely got better as it went on. I thought the last season was clearly the best, so I’m curious what the consensus of people who watched it as it was on is.

As a whole I consider it good though I do think its first 2-3 seasons are a bit more of mixed bag with plenty of weaker stuff mixed in with quality stories. Its a war anthology so its not super surprising, especially since politics were not Lucas's strong suit. We also maybe had a bit too many droid & Jar Jar episodes. That said, I do love the moment the Gungans take down grievous. Its the best thing they ever did with them. In general I think it definitely got better in the later seasons as things got more orderly, focused, and darker. Its basically what I think Lucas wanted the prequels to be, but didn't have the focus & time pull off on his own or on film in general. I was never bothered by the difference in Anakins like TheVileOne was due to having so little memory of the prequels and recalling that he was supposed to be the type of figure Clone Wars presented him as.

• Like 1

On 2/4/2021 at 8:48 PM, JonnyLaw said:

Going into it with the mindset that it was on Cartoon Network and kinda aimed at kids, I had low expectations especially after the "movie" with the gassy infant Hutt

But I came to love episodes focused on the clones, their personal arcs etc. Anything with politics and the council i was sort of meh at first, but as it went on I appreciated the expansion of the lore and the universe, the cultural explorations of planets and species. Came to enjoy most of the arcs and learned to at minimum admire some of the aspects I dreaded like the droids and political arcs.

Tldr the writing got crisper and I enjoyed it more than when I'd gone in with no to low expectations.

Kept advising my friends and family to watch, and naturally no one gave a shit until the Disney films started coming out and they wanted to know which characters came from the CW episodes and what was the significance of this event or that person, etc

• Like 2

On 2/3/2021 at 9:58 AM, Log said:

It makes me feel really old and nerdy as shit to mention this, but Hogan had a Thunderlips figure as part of the 1983 Rocky 3 toy line.

phoenix-toys-inc---rocky-iii---hulk-hoga

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Technico Support said:

It makes me feel really old and nerdy as shit to mention this, but Hogan had a Thunderlips figure as part of the 1983 Rocky 3 toy line.

phoenix-toys-inc---rocky-iii---hulk-hoga

That figure’s face is extremely accurate. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1