DVDVR Message Board

ALL ENCOMPASSING STAR WARS THREAD

RIPPA

4 hours ago, Hayabusa said:

I mean, is the Fett arc in Clone Wars not canon no more? I've only seen two or three episodes but I thought he was fleshed out pretty well, the revenge angle and I think there was some stuff with Cad Bane?

The Clone Wars stuff should still be cannon. There is just a ton of time between then and even just in the original trilogies that helped mold Boba into what he was then and is now that we haven't seen.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Eivion said:

The Clone Wars stuff should still be cannon. There is just a ton of time between then and even just in the original trilogies that helped mold Boba into what he was then and is now that we haven't seen.

Which I think is going to be the point of the show maybe? "Book of...", to me, is all about fleshing the character out. I could be wrong.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, elizium said:

Maybe because Maul isn't a Mandalorian, taking it from him is considered reclaiming it from an outsider. That left possession up in the air and Sabine rightfully claimed it when she defeated Saxon in combat.

As for Bo Katan accepting it from her after that, I can only say I don't know?

That's sort of getting really overwrought. Do the Mandalorians have a NSAC athletic commission rulebook on the right of succession for the Darksaber? There's an easy way around this in the storytelling that they should've polished before it went into production:

Din Djarin: "Now...it belongs to her."

Moff Gideon: "She can't take it. It must be won in battle. In order for her to wield the Darksaber again, she would need to defeat you in combat."

Din Djarin: "I yield. It's ours."

Moff Gideon: "Oh no *maniacal laugh*. That's how she got it last time. It didn't work out well for her. First she lost the Darksaber, and then she lost Mandalore along with her credibility. The Darksaber was handed to her like a common trinket. She never won it in battle. Now, she stands before you a feckless, deposed, and incompetent ruler. She needed to beat me in order to get back the Darksaber in order to regain what's left of her pitiful standing with your broken, scattered ranks."

Din Djarin: "How do you know this?" *To Bo Katan* "Is this true?"

Moff Gideon: "Like I said Djarin, assume that I know everything!"

Ugh, if Bo-Katan is joining Mando S3, and it’s filled with royalty drama, then I can see it being the last season.

You go from rousing adventures, to throne room shenanigans. That would be such a weird progression from the space western stories they were telling. If they go in that direction.

1 hour ago, RandomAct said:

First, put Cody's list in the bin with his neck tattoo.

Secondly, I think the sticking point with Bo-Katan is that Gideon beat HER to take the Darksaber, and she felt like she wasn't worthy if she didn't beat the person who beat her.

If Gideon beat her, why didn't he kill her?

15 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

If Gideon beat her, why didn't he kill her?

Because he's an asshole who loves lording it over everyone. HE doesn't care about the meaning of the Darksaber. He just knows how to use it's meaning to some of the Mandalorians against them.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, JLSigman said:

Because he's an asshole who loves lording it over everyone. HE doesn't care about the meaning of the Darksaber. He just knows how to use it's meaning to some of the Mandalorians against them.

That makes no sense. Why would he keep dangerous enemies alive when given the chance to kill them? He was ready to annihilate and kill Din Djarin multiple times. He was willing to kill himself when Luke Skywalker showed up. This idea he didn't kill her to gloat and monologue makes no sense.

10 hours ago, Craig H said:

Also, what if Mando just throws a fight to Bo Katan. That's why ultimately the whole needing to win the Darksaber in combat is dumb. It was the one thing I didn't really care for about the finale.

10 hours ago, Matt D said:

Does he seem the sort to throw a fight?

Mando honors the old way, brother.  He's not doing a fingerpoke of doom.

Cody's list goes from "decent choice, can't really argue with that" to "holy shit what a nincompoop" pretty quickly.  And ranking Rogue One last is the dumbest fucking thing since...well...since ranking Rise of Skywalker above anything.  I'd legit rather be kicked in the balls, both of them at the same time, than watch that horrible fetch quest piece of crap again.  Hell, I'd rather watch a Dynamite episode with Cody in every match and Cody promos in between than watch that again.  I hated Rise of Skywalker so much that I saw it for free on a plane during a work trip and still felt ripped off.  I hated it so much that I posted about it here while killing time sitting outside at a Starbucks at Downtown Disney District on an absolutely beautiful California day.  There I was, sitting in paradise, trying to enjoy a big coffee after a long and satisfying day of work, waiting to meet some family, posting about how much I hated that movie.  That how bad it was.  Cody is a moron.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, The Natural said:

Oh, Cody.

This list is mostly a mess, but at least Cody recognizes that The Last Jedi is the second greatest Star Wars film, behind only The Empire Strikes Back.

As for retconning. I'm pretty sure anything not shown in a film/tv series is non-cannon and subject to change. Then again I definitely saw Palpatine got thrown into the core of the Death Star II and explode twice and apparently he's fine, so who the fuck knows?

regarding cgi/deepfakes (if you're this deep into the thread it's pointless, but I'll spoiler tag anyway)

Spoiler

I thought young Luke looked better than Tarkin. It probably helped that they de-aged the actual actor instead of recreating a dead man, but the longer this stuff is on screen the faker it looks. Tarkin has way too much screen time in Rogue One and it was uncanny valley all the way.

If you watch the behind the scenes stuff, they cast a dude who sorta looks like Peter Cushing and mo capped his face. I think if you're going to set new Star Wars material in timelines where these characters are still alive you're going to need to recast, because the digital stuff doesn't work if it's anything more than a cameo.

• Like 1

This is the way.

1. Empire Strikes Back 
2. A New Hope
3. Return Of The Jedi
4. Mandalorian
5. Rebels
6. Clone Wars
7. Rogue One
8. Force Awakens
9. Revenge Of The Sith
10. Attack Of The Clones
11. Phantom Menace
12. Solo
13. Last Jedi 
5,994. Indiana Jones 4
120,039. The Happening
57,000,444. The Midnight Meat Train
Infinity+1. Rise Of Skywalker

• Haha 2

22 minutes ago, hobo joe said:

Fuck it, here's the correct Star Wars list

1. The Empire Strikes Back
  2. The Last Jedi
  3. A New Hope
  4. The Return of the Jedi
  5. The Force Awakens
  6. Solo
  7. Rogue One
  8. The Revenge of the Sith
  9. Attack of the Clones
  10. The Phantom Menace

Good list...any arguing would just be personal preference style nitpicking.  I hope not even ranking Rise of Skywalker was intentional!

• Like 1

Here's mine from what I've seen. Relatively recent Star Wars thanks to my best friend who is more like a brother to me:

1. The Empire Strikes Back.

2. A New Hope.

3. Return of the Jedi.

4. Rogue One.

5. The Force Awakens.

6. Revenge of the Sith.

7. The Last Jedi.

8. Solo.

9. The Phantom Menace.

10. Rise of Skywalker.

11. Attack of the Clones.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 2

At least Attack of the Clones advanced the story a bit and led to good stuff (Clone Wars, Revenge of the Sith).  Rise of Skywalker was a huge mess of shit being thrown at the screen while changing the main characters of the series and making everything that came before it almost tertiary and basically saying "Fuck off" to everything that wasn't JJ's toy.

• Like 4

19 hours ago, Raziel said:

At least Attack of the Clones advanced the story a bit and led to good stuff (Clone Wars, Revenge of the Sith).  Rise of Skywalker was a huge mess of shit being thrown at the screen while changing the main characters of the series and making everything that came before it almost tertiary and basically saying "Fuck off" to everything that wasn't JJ's toy.

I agree with all of that! 

But counterpoint:

Phantom Menace came after a 19 year wait following a trilogy that was nothing less than a cultural phenomenon.  The anticipation was incredible and we had such high hopes.  And then it gave us midiclorians, podracing, a convoluted plot, racist stereotype aliens, terrible dialogue, and really bad child acting.  I have never gone from excitement to depression faster in my life. 

Edited by Technico Support

6 hours ago, Technico Support said:

I agree with all of that! 

But counterpoint:

Attack of the Clones came after a 19 year wait following a trilogy that was nothing less than a cultural phenomenon.  The anticipation was incredible and we had such high hopes.  And then it gave us midiclorians, podracing, a convoluted plot, racist stereotype aliens, terrible dialogue, and really bad child acting.  I have never gone from excitement to depression faster in my life. 

That was Phantom Menace. Attack of the Clones is the one with Hayden whatsisface playing Anakin, not the one with Jake Lloyd playing Anakin.

The only good thing about TPM was is gave us this:

• Like 1

Thanks, that's what I meant.  Phantom Menace.  Thanks!  I think time has dulled people's perceptions of what a crushing disappointment it was, and/or a lot of fans not of my generation don't understand it.  The original trilogy was this huge cultural, formative thing.  We never thought there'd be another Star Wars movie.  And then HOLY SHIT THERE'S A NEW TRILOGY COMING HOLY SHIT TAKE MY MONEY.  And then we got trade wars, midiclorians, and Jake (god bless him, not his fault) Lloyd.  I literally remember getting back to my apartment after seeing it and just being so absolutely bummed. 

• Like 1