DVDVR Message Board

ALL ENCOMPASSING STAR WARS THREAD

RIPPA

19 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

I can't answer the first question but to the second isn't Palpatine building up an army on the outer rim and trying to clone himself and all that shit? 

Not if you didn't watch that piece of shit movie and are pretending it didn't happen.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

16 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

Maybe they can be in a new timeline, like JJ's Star Trek. 

I wouldn't have an issue with that but I think it's more likely they reshape the trilogy through filling in backstories and what have you as they are doing now.  

It's interesting that none of this new Disney+ content is focusing on that time period. 

I'm glad the Grogu story is resolved. Provided the show continues, they can take things in a whole new direction in later seasons. I have a few problems though. First this:

Spoiler

She literally yields the darksaber to Bo Katan here:

And also this:

Spoiler

4khi869h02661.jpg?width=532&auto=webp&s=

So they retcon some stuff. Good.

They've done such a great job in giving us fan service without losing itself entirely to it. The longer this show runs the fewer times I ask myself if this is extremely well done but meaningless fluff or actually a good show. That finale was the best star wars thing I've seen outside of Empire. The ending was everything: annihilation of self, letting go, doing the right thing despite it hurting. It is the core of Star Wars morality that is so strongly connected to Buddhism. That they were able to give us something so emotionally affecting that could go anywhere (to the point people are being paid to write articles on whether the post credit scene is what season 3 will be). The callbacks to iconic shots from the franchise was cool. Yeah, the de-aging CGI looked like shit but oh well. If that's ultimately it for the connection between those two characters I'll be shocked but they definitely should go their separate ways for now at least and it was the perfect send off, to the point Luke was almost portrayed as a villain in an ending that is incredibly reminiscent of Princess Kaguya's. I've read speculation that they move Grogu to one of the new series, at least temporarily, and Ahsoka makes the most sense. The music was so great too! Dub step robits and the Mandalorian theme having an empire twist at the start of the show. 10/10.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

So, the 8 year old's favorite Star Wars characters are:

1. "Baby Yoda"

2. Ahsoka

3. Chewbacca

I'm pretty sure Din and Grogu are back together by the end of S3 if not much sooner. 75% of the people watching the show are going to rebel otherwise, no matter where else they put him and no matter what else Din is doing. It's just what the show is about.

• Like 2

Plus with what happens to Luke's trainees, they gotta get Grogu away from him at some point. But after that, they gotta be connected at the hip. I don't think my mental health can handle another separation like that. I was getting emotional all morning reliving it in my head over and over again.

• Like 1

Just watched it. Count me in the crowd full of tears. I mean, I nearly got to needing to blow my nose because I'm so choked up Tony Stark died territory from the reveal to Din tearing up to Grogu touching his face.

I also had no idea about the post credits scene. I was basically sitting there weeping and thinking about how awesome this show and story has become. Then the post credits scene hits and I go from tears to FUCK YEAH real quick.

I'm among the few here who really liked the sequel trilogy even though I think episode 9 is the most confounding thing ever. I will say though that this period of storytelling is eclipsing or has eclipsed the end to the Skywalker Saga. I want so much more now. So much more. 

• Like 1

On 12/19/2020 at 2:19 PM, EVA said:

I gotta be honest.  Boba Fett was such a thinly written character this season, I could not care less about whatever the fuck the after credits scene was teasing.

Has Fett ever *not* been a thinly written character?

Still, as much Fett dislike that I have from the old EU doesn't really matter, Filoni and Favreau have earned a significant amount of trust.

Edited by Raziel
  • Like 1

I would go so far as to say he was a non-character in the OT.  Just a stormtrooper with better accoutrements.

But clearly there was an attempt to turn him into something more than that here (something that could anchor its own show, apparently!)...they just never seemed to figure out what that something was.  It’s like they decided Boba teaming up with Mando would be cool (and it was), came up with the thinnest possible excuse to have Boba get involved...and pretty much left it at that.  I still have no clearer idea of who Boba is, what his motivations are (they seem pretty all over the place), and why I should care about any of it more than when he first crawled out of that Sarlac pit.

Edited by EVA