DVDVR Message Board

ALL ENCOMPASSING STAR WARS THREAD

RIPPA

7 hours ago, Raziel said:

Also, TYTHON IS CANON!!!

As a Star Wars: The Old Republic player, this killed me dead. I'm about 2 seconds away from firing up the game and debating which area they are going to put the "seeing stone" on.

My only complaint about this episode:

Spoiler

Those HK units were a real disappointment.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Man, I loved this episode. The cinematography was incredible, and I really liked Rosario Dawson as Ahsoka. They did a good job of pulling at the heartstrings too, because part of me wants Grogue to be trained, but a bigger part of me never wants the bond with Mando to be broken. The Thrawn namedrop was a huge pop from me, since he is confirmed as still being alive.  Filoni and Favreau need to be the Feige of all Star Wars projects at this point.

I fucking love this show. Space Western with occasional Space Samurai bits, and so many good actors even if they're small parts. Imagine going back in time five years ago and saying there'd be a show like this and it would include people like Rosario Dawson, Carl Weathers, Amy Sedaris, Tim Olyphant, Giancarlo Esposito, Bill Burr, Michael Biehn, WENER HERZOG, and Sasha fucking Banks?! It's wild. 

Thank fucking God it's Grogu and not like Yaggo or Yody. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Also, a note on representation - I've watched a lot of Youtube reaction videos because I love seeing people mark the fuck out and just be openly joyous (AJ Styles debut is a good one, for example). Watching women who are longtime SW fans cry with happiness truly should make one appreciate what representation means to others. It's hard not to understand it until you witness it. When my fam watched Avengers: Endgame, I felt that the "girl power" scene seemed like pandering until my wife and daughter raved about it on the drive home. Seeing women overjoyed at Ahsoka's arrival (as are many men) is fucking AWESOME. 

• Like 4

I’ve found the performances of the one shot guest stars(except Olyphant) to be the most disappointing aspect. I’m watching season one of Justified, and Clarence Williams is only in it for maybe seven minutes. He still gives you a really good Clarence Williams performance. Michael Biehn gets a little more, and he hardly gets to Johnny Ringo levels for his similar part.

I wish they would nail down some more world building here, and there. I understand they only have a few episodes a season, but still they could do more. They at least drill that Beskar is the strongest metal in the fucking galaxy during every episode. I mean if this last episode didn’t convince you of this, then you need a re-watch. But stuff like the card game in ep 2 of this season, or even the chowder in the 3rd ep they could’ve spared a few more minutes on instead of being just small sight gags.

Also, I’m not big on Ahsoka   basically saying their aren’t many of her kind left. For one, Ahsoka came from an ass pull of continuity from a cartoon, and two, just her saying that will backfire eventually, just like it backfired on The Doctor saying he was the last Time Lord. So don’t tell me you know how many of you are left, Ahsoka. Now I’m expecting 20, or more Jedi, and Sith to show up before this series wraps. I mean that Beskar armor has to be put to good use, if they keep alluding to its OP status amongst medals.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs
  • Like 1

Thing is, the co-lead of the show is a young potential Jedi. So they aren’t drifting too far from that side of Star Wars anytime soon. I was actually thinking last night about when it was decided that “Baby Yoda” would stick around as a regular. They probably were planning on wrapping up that plot sooner, but he was clearly going to breakout, and become the Urkel. So they are stuck with the little cash cow for the time being, even if they have to create new nannies to help take care of him while Mando is on an adventure of his own.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

9 hours ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

I wish they would nail down some more world building here, and there. I understand they only have a few episodes a season, but still they could do more. They at least drill that Beskar is the strongest metal in the fucking galaxy during every episode. I mean if this last episode didn’t convince you of this, then you need a re-watch. But stuff like the card game in ep 2 of this season, or even the chowder in the 3rd ep they could’ve spared a few more minutes on instead of being just small sight gags.

Also, I’m not big on Ahsoka   basically saying their aren’t many of her kind left. For one, Ahsoka came from an ass pull of continuity from a cartoon, and two, just her saying that will backfire eventually, just like it backfired on The Doctor saying he was the last Time Lord. So don’t tell me you know how many of you are left, Ahsoka. Now I’m expecting 20, or more Jedi, and Sith to show up before this series wraps. I mean that Beskar armor has to be put to good use, if they keep alluding to its OP status amongst medals.

I'm not a huge fan of Ahsoka either or her still being alive. Yoda's statement in Return of the Jedi has now been rendered meaningless. But the community loves her and has this big connection with her, so whatcha gonna do. I always felt that finale of Rebels was the perfect way to kill her off. It felt like an emotional resonating way to conclude her character arc. Now she's still alive, and it's really weird. It's a whole can of worms. 

22 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

I'm not a huge fan of Ahsoka either or her still being alive. Yoda's statement in Return of the Jedi has now been rendered meaningless. But the community loves her and has this big connection with her, so whatcha gonna do. I always felt that finale of Rebels was the perfect way to kill her off. It felt like an emotional resonating way to conclude her character arc. Now she's still alive, and it's really weird. It's a whole can of worms. 

She didn't show back up until after ROTJ is the idea. I do think the way they brought her back was pretty absurd, but it's almost certainly a Lucas concept so what are you going to do, right?

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

Huh? The finale of Rebels was when it was revealed she survived.

I'll throw my hat into the "TLJ was great" ring. I liked TFA as pure fan service, then TLJ swerved hard and made shit actually interesting. Honestly, if there's a better example of "entitled fans are never happy," it's the mixed reactions to both of those films. Meanwhile, I haven't seen RoSW and I'm in no rush to. It'll definitely happen since I have D+, and I know what to expect - but yeah, apparently I'm one of those rare folks who appreciated both Episode 7 and 8 ?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Biehn getting a Johnny Ringo reference in with "I got no quarrel with you" had me jump out my seat hahaha

I appreciate that the episode run time this season is right around the 40 minute mark, compare that with the first season, iirc, which seemed to have 20-30 minute episodes

• Like 1

You guys know, Ahsoka isn't an actual Jedi, right?  She was outcast from the order.  She switched her saber colors to the White that the comics Grey Jedi used.  She even says "I'm no Jedi" during the end of Clone Wars and even her appearances in Rebels.  

I mean, it is semantics, but let's not pretend Obi-Wan and Yoda didn't play fast and loose with facts with Luke on the number of Jedi hanging around post-Order 66.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Raziel said:

You guys know, Ahsoka isn't an actual Jedi, right?  She was outcast from the order.  She switched her saber colors to the White that the comics Grey Jedi used.  She even says "I'm no Jedi" during the end of Clone Wars and even her appearances in Rebels.  

I mean, it is semantics, but let's not pretend Obi-Wan and Yoda didn't play fast and loose with facts with Luke on the number of Jedi hanging around post-Order 66.

It is semantics. She never claimed she wasn't a Jedi this episode. Not to mention, the title of the episode was THE JEDI.

Technically, Luke Skywalker wasn't an actual Jedi until he confronted Vader again in Return of the Jedi, but still considered last of the Jedi at the time. 

I finally caught up on the second season over the holiday.  I thought episode 5 was tremendous, but the first four episodes were a pretty brutal slog to get there.  It’s like somebody watched the meandering, 90’s-syndicated-TV quality* middle episodes of season 1 and thought, “The whole show should be like this!”  Maybe it played better watching week to week, but taken in a binge, EVERY episode being built around a quid pro quo with a guest star got really grating after a while.  Starting the season with episodes about A) a wild goose chase and B) a detour was definitely a choice, too.  Just a bizarre lack of urgency to the narrative.

But, yes, The Jedi was terrific.  Rosario as Ahsoka already feels too big for the small screen.  Hopefully the last 3 episodes will continue apace.

*Speaking of syndicated quality:  For as much money as Disney spends on this show (upwards of $100 million per season), it’s very amusing to me when you start seeing TV budget constraints randomly come in to play.  For instance, in the 3rd and 4th episodes of this season, there are two corridor shootouts on completely different planets that are clearly the exact same corridor set, just slightly restaged.  Likewise, once you get past the CGI establishing shot of the occupied city in The Jedi, the “city” certainly appears to just be one street, with the seat of power not more than 50 feet away from the outer walls.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Andy in Kansas said:

So I hear Bosch is in this now? Disney rolls deep. 

Yes. He has a one-off minor appearance in one episode, but it was memorable. 

Titus Welliver is a tremendous actor and should be the lead villain or lead something in one of these things. Bosch is also one of my favorite shows.

*Speaking of syndicated quality:  For as much money as Disney spends on this show (upwards of $100 million per season), it’s very amusing to me when you start seeing TV budget constraints randomly come in to play.  For instance, in the 3rd and 4th episodes of this season, there are two corridor shootouts on completely different planets that are clearly the exact same corridor set, just slightly restaged.  Likewise, once you get past the CGI establishing shot of the occupied city in The Jedi, the “city” certainly appears to just be one street, with the seat of power not more than 50 feet away from the outer walls.

Well one shootout was on an imperial freighter. Another one was an imperial base. So even if they were just redressed/restaged, it would still make sense that they have visual similarities. 

Edited by TheVileOne