DVDVR Message Board

ALL ENCOMPASSING STAR WARS THREAD

RIPPA

3 hours ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

Props... He finally got a good performance out of Amy Sedaris. Credit to the script too for fleshing out her character. Before today she just came off as a supporting character on a PBS kids show. Those Rebel pilots, though... Yikes, did they drag this episodes cinematic quality down at the end. 

Careful, one of those pilots was Dave Filoni.

So who is actually playing Mando in the suit? I remember reading Pedro was only in the suit for a couple of episodes in the first season. I bring it up because I really liked the performance of the actor under the suit in this episode a lot. He wasn’t just a stiff robot here. Lots of miming annoyance, relief, concern, and you even got a moment there of relaxation in the ship.

Also I just noticed a major contradiction from the prior episode. Mando can’t speak frog ladies language, and then speaks another language to see if she’ll understand. But he speaks it like he’s barely bilingual. In the prior episode he speaks the Tuskin Raider language like a pro interpreter. 

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

So who is actually playing Mando in the suit? I remember reading Pedro was only in the suit for a couple of episodes in the first season. I bring it up because I really liked the performance of the actor under the suit in this episode a lot. He wasn’t just a stiff robot here. Lots of miming annoyance, relief, concern, and you even got a moment there of relaxation in the ship.

Also I just noticed a major contradiction from the prior episode. Mando can’t speak frog ladies language, and then speaks another language to see if she’ll understand. But he speaks it like he’s barely bilingual. In the prior episode he speaks the Tuskin Raider language like a pro interpreter. 

There were three people credited as Mando's double in Episode 2: Lateef Crowder, Brendan Wayne, and Barry Lowin.

I do think whoever does most of the suit acting, they do a great job of giving a physical performance and creating those emotions and that attitude with just body language or head tilts, so you can glean what Mando is thinking by more than just his voice.

This episode is...whatever. For me, I think this season is 0-2 now and it's clear this is just the same old bullshit from season 1. I talked to a friend about it and they're frustrated to. He described the story process as one person asking, "so what should Mando do in episode 2?" and the response to that being, "I don't know, more bounty huntin'?" Except now it's just re-running shit from season 1.

I don't have many doubts that we'll get some excellent "mythology" or "serial" episodes during this season, but so far the highlight has been seeing Space Raylan Givens. Also, it's pretty damn inexcusable to re-run plotlines when you're only in season 2. If it's season 5 or 6 and you're re-running something from season 1, then fine, whatever. But come on, it's season 2, give us something more than Mando gets a job, goes to a weird planet, and fights or escapes a giant alien threat.

• Like 1

On 11/6/2020 at 10:15 PM, Matt D said:

I don't know what's better, seeing Umma on the Expanse, knowing Jung is going to be Shang-Chi or ...

Reveal hidden contents

seeing Appa here as a freaking X-Wing pilot.

FUCK. I didn't recognize him without the accent. Hell Yeah

• Like 1

Giant fucking snow spider nightmare dreams should really be one of the warnings Disney puts up along with the others in the beginnings of programs.  

Edited by CSC
  • Haha 1

Episode 3 is up. Thought it was solid and moves the background plot forward somewhat. Sasha's part was rather minor though she does ok enough in it. We also find out the secret behind the Mando's traditions.

Spoiler

I couldn't help but laugh at the poor bastard finding out he was basically raised in cult. Seeing that he is sent the way of Ahsoka at the end those Rosario Dawson rumors are looking to be true. Still feels kind of weird since last we saw her she went on a journey with Sabine to find Ezra. Wonder if they reveal how that turned out or keep it a secret since it would also likely involve Thrawn and the Chiss.

• Like 1

Sasha Banks was credited with her real name, Mercedes Varnado. Her character's name was Koska Reeves.

Simon Kassianides was the other Mandalorian, Axe Woves.

Spoiler

Death Watch is the Star Wars equivalent of ISIS. They were terrorists. Din Djarin was kidnapped, brainwashed and indoctrinated. Frankly, Death Watch likely orchestrated the cleansing of his home planet.

Edited by TheVileOne

Was hoping for Sabine Wren, but Bo-Katan was a nice surprise in its place, definitely makes sense for her to be around since I believe she was the last person in possession of the Darksaber.

Loving that this season is filling so many roles with ex-Deadwood actors with Titus Welliver appearing this week. McShane is probably not happening or we would have heard it, but maybe Mr. Wu or Johnny could show up in small roles? Should have cast Trixie as the mechanic, rather than Amy Sedaris.

• Like 1

Didn’t care for this episode honestly. This is an odd criticism, but it felt too much like Star Wars. Actually scratch that it felt like a  cheap Star Wars fan film during the siege of the Imperial ship. The sets, the costumes, and even the explosion caused by Mando throwing those bombs looked awful. The more this show leans into the Star Wars movies look, the worse it gets. This is something I noticed in the first season as well. But then when they try their own thing with the western theme, the show improves. 

I’ll say though, I did like certain parts last night a lot. I liked the resolution of the Frog Ladies plot, and Baby Yoda’s redemption(That shot of him petting the baby frog in the bowl was a highlight). I really dug the fishing village, which is just one of those things they’ve done well this season, and that’s expand the world building through visuals. I thought the revelation of Mando’s upbringing here was needed, but what’s that characters issue? Why does he come off as extremely sheltered for a world traveler? Did Mando have his memory wiped?

Also another criticism... When Mando picks up the baby at Frog Ladies place he just walks in without knocking. Frog family doesn’t even hug baby Yoda, or wave bye. Like holy shit, that all looked poorly edited. I would’ve just kept the heartfelt scene with the baby, but placed it somewhere else in the episode, and then just not put in the scene of Mando picking up the child because we all know he would’ve picked him up. We don’t need a scene to establish that.

There was also the scene with the Squid brother looking to get revenge on Mando that sucked, and wasn’t really needed. It felt redundant to have a scene where the heroes squash the fishermen right after you just had a similar scene in the boat.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

So @eliziumspoiled me due to the preview function of the unread content section board, but that's on me. I should shut that off on days where stuff drops. Anyway, we knew some characters along these lines were coming and of some castings. Plus the subtitles spoiled me anyway and like anyone with kids, we watch things with subtitles on all the time.

Spoiler

I won't say that Bo-Katan is a character I had any strong emotional attachment too, though Katie Sackhoff is great to see. After going through all of Clone Wars and Rebels in the last year with the 8 year old, I do have an attachment to Satine, and as someone who was pretty into Star Wars in the mid 90s for a couple of years and the Zahn books and what not, the moment of her taking her helmet off really felt like, for the first time, stuff that is "Extended", honestly counted. Not until it's live action is it really real. And Mandalorian feels like the throughline for the franchise more than even Ep IX did. This is the main Star Wars canon right now, and the second she took her helmet off, all the stuff with Anakin and Satine and Maul actually happened when before it just, you know, probably happened. I get that the cartoons are in canon and made by Lucas and everything else, but if Abrams wanted to ignore some aspect of it for Ep VII, they would have done so in a heartbeat, because it was just some cartoon. What's funny is that it's going to be so matter of fact when the kid sees this (probably in the next couple of months). "Oh, of course it's Bo-Katan. And of course she wants the Darksaber. And of course she's sending them to Ahsoka." like it's nothing special or outlandish or that it shouldn't be because it never was for decades. Just a totally different way of engaging with Star Wars.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, elizium said:

Aw shit, sorry Matt. I didn't even think about that

It's ok. No harm done. I didn't realize it'd be such a big part of the episode and not just a little cameo or reveal at the end so I was happily surprised by that part certainly.