DVDVR Message Board

ALL ENCOMPASSING STAR WARS THREAD

RIPPA

8 minutes ago, Raziel said:

Rebels was all post Buyout.  It's said that Filoni and Lucas talked about it, but it was way past when Lucas had any say.  Now, there was Legacy stuff that was close to what the Veil ended up being with Timewalking, but that was only backwards, and you couldn't actually change anything huge, just be a passive observer (it was similar to what GoT ended up using as the Tree-Eyed Raven's time warging).  

Like I said, I doubt seriously Disney would do it so close to the movies and with so much stuff left to go without hitting a reset button, but the fact remains, you don't introduce something that like that and just use it to get out of one death in a previous season.  There's some kind of plan for it down the line somewhere.

I've read enough Filoni interviews in this watching of Clone Wars/Rebels with the kid to believe that he would religiously cling to something Lucas had discussed at length with him over some cleaner creative choice. All of the Father/Daughter/Son stuff is pure Lucas so revisiting that was likely done with Lucas' comments in mind. I know he said he talked to Lucas at length about what the Ahsoka/Vader interaction would be like if they ever got to that point too so the idea of bringing her back is probably something he didn't do with out giving the guy a call, no?

Maybe I'm wrong. And moreover, maybe now that he's gaining more power, things might be different, but it just feels so Lucas-y to me.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Raziel said:

There's some kind of plan for it down the line somewhere.

Considering that the right hand never knew what the left hand was doing from one movie to the next in the new trilogy and how disconnected Kennedy was from Rebel One or Solo, I kinda doubt they even know about the Veil much less plan on using it at some point. It's like expecting Vince to know or remember storylines from one week to the next across Raw, Smackdown, and NXT.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Matt D said:

I've read enough Filoni interviews in this watching of Clone Wars/Rebels with the kid to believe that he would religiously cling to something Lucas had discussed at length with him over some cleaner creative choice. All of the Father/Daughter/Son stuff is pure Lucas so revisiting that was likely done with Lucas' comments in mind. I know he said he talked to Lucas at length about what the Ahsoka/Vader interaction would be like if they ever got to that point too so the idea of bringing her back is probably something he didn't do with out giving the guy a call, no?

Maybe I'm wrong. And moreover, maybe now that he's gaining more power, things might be different, but it just feels so Lucas-y to me.

This is pretty much the same feel I got whenever I read Filoni's IGN interviews after each season of Clone Wars ended. A lot of big and neat ideas still very much came from Lucas. Filoni just helped to clean them up and guide them in solid directions. 

• Like 1

On 7/28/2020 at 12:31 AM, Eivion said:

Aren't both of these partially confirmed? I believe with Morrison its just a case of no one being sure if he is Rex, Fett, and/or a different clone entirely. I thought with Olyphant it was only know that he was cast. Never heard of a rumor of him being Fett.

The rumor was Temeura Morrison as Boba Fett and that Timothy Olyphant was playing another character. It's unknown who it is. Slash Film reported that at some point, Olyphant's character is wearing Boba Fett's armor. That's led to speculation that he's playing Cobb Vanth from the Aftermath novels, a character who acquires armor believed to Boba Fett's that was salvaged from the sarlacc pit after Return of the Jedi. 

The Morrison and Olyphant casting rumors came from legit websites and trades with fairly good track records, not these obscure fly by night nerd blogs like Illuminerdi or Geekvana or whatever. So they're not confirmed, but if they came from such big well known websites that don't generally report fake news, they are pretty reliable.

• Like 1

On 7/30/2020 at 9:30 AM, Raziel said:

Rebels was all post Buyout.  It's said that Filoni and Lucas talked about it, but it was way past when Lucas had any say.  Now, there was Legacy stuff that was close to what the Veil ended up being with Timewalking, but that was only backwards, and you couldn't actually change anything huge, just be a passive observer (it was similar to what GoT ended up using as the Tree-Eyed Raven's time warging).  

Like I said, I doubt seriously Disney would do it so close to the movies and with so much stuff left to go without hitting a reset button, but the fact remains, you don't introduce something that like that and just use it to get out of one death in a previous season.  There's some kind of plan for it down the line somewhere.

FYI, it's not "the veil" it's the world between worlds. I don't think anyone ever called it the veil.

Now, I personally love Rebels. However, along with the Purrgils, I think the world between worlds was a terrible idea to introduce because it basically introduces time travel into Star Wars, a franchise which has really never used such a concept before. And to suddenly introduce something that's like time travel at this point into Star Wars is problematic. Even though Dave Filoni says it's not time travel, it basically is. So well before Rise of Skywalker came out, I thought the whole world between worlds thing was a huge can of worms that never should've been opened. 

Filoni might be telling the truth, but saying he talked with George Lucas about things is always his go-to excuse. I never really liked that Ahsoka lived either. Where was she during the entire Galactic Civil War? Yoda said when he dies, Luke will be the last of the Jedi. That has to mean something.

Eh, I don't fault Disney one bit for saying that the EU stuff doesn't apply. It gave them more of a fresh slate and the actual in cannon stuff we've received since between the comics, new books, and animated series have been mostly excellent. Plus, they've taken shit from the EU and re-implemented it into the new cannon here and there.

The thing whiney fanboys ignore is that Lucas himself was already throwing out large swaths of the EU by the time he started making the prequels. He kept some of the things he liked and ignored what he didn't. Sure there were a lot of good EU stories in the 1990s, but the whole history they were establishing and referencing was thrown in the trash when Lucas came up with new backstories in the prequels. 

Edited by TheVileOne
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

Filoni might be telling the truth, but saying he talked with George Lucas about things is always his go-to excuse. I never really liked that Ahsoka lived either. Where was she during the entire Galactic Civil War? Yoda said when he dies, Luke will be the last of the Jedi. That has to mean something.

I was under the impression whatever time she came out to was after the war ended.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Eivion said:

I was under the impression whatever time she came out to was after the war ended.

That's Morai flying to her in the Season 2 finale epilogue. Or so people say...

Apparently Ezra dropped her right after he pulled her out of the fight with Vader.

Edited by TheVileOne

• 2 weeks later...

Been really digging Rebels, currently about a third through season 3. I love the crew and that they mostly are off doing their own thing. Sure people like Vader or Leia periodically show up, but most everything is happening adjacent to the main Star Wars story. At this point, that's what I really want from Star Wars stories...show me what else there is in the galaxy.

That said, I do love when we get some updates on what's happened to places since the Clone Wars ended. I especially loved seeing what happened to the Twi'leks and the episode where they encounter the still functioning droids was great. I missed those things, they grew on me a lot during Clone Wars.

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

And we are done with Rebels. We did a couple of episodes of S4 a night but then started to build towards big milestones and didn't really want to stop. It's much more of one story (once you get past the first two arcs) than the other seasons. And it gets pretty trippy between the Dume Wolf and the World Between Worlds. It was a little striking to me how spot on the 8 year old was with everything. She understood characters' sacrifices and temptations extremely well, both, I think from the narrative sense and also from the "Yeah, these characters aren't in A New Hope, so..." meta sense. I had dabbled in Rebels when the now 18 year old was a little younger but he had kind of been too old for it when it dropped, as in too old to watch it with me regularly at least. So I hadn't realized just how thorough the show was in putting together the Rebel Alliance, from specific types of ships to the symbol to specific background characters. Just as Clone Wars sort of exists to show the size and scope of the war in a way the movies don't begin to touch on, Rebels achieves this purpose. Clone Wars really doesn't sync at all with Episode III so I'd be curious to see in the upcoming rewatch how well Rebels syncs with IV-VI. I assume much better, but we'll see.

Again, it is really odd coming into Star Wars (IV) with a kid who is far more vested in Ahsoka than Leia or Luke and knows way more about Thrawn than Tarkin and has a lot stronger feelings about Anakin than Vader. She's seen them before but when she was a lot younger, and before we started this whole Ep1-Rebels journey, so I have no idea how it'll go.

Rogue One first though. Probably this weekend. She's also very eager to start on Legend of Korra.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Matt D said:

Just as Clone Wars sort of exists to show the size and scope of the war in a way the movies don't begin to touch on, Rebels achieves this purpose. Clone Wars really doesn't sync at all with Episode III so I'd be curious to see in the upcoming rewatch how well Rebels syncs with IV-VI. I assume much better, but we'll see.

Clone Wars always felt like Lucas trying to tell the story of the prequels properly. I still kind of wonder if he would have had Clone Wars just overwrite Episode III with its own variant if he had kept working on it. Rebels is able to do a better job matching up because its taking place in a time period that was far more open with it being between trilogies. 

5 hours ago, Matt D said:

Rogue One first though. Probably this weekend. She's also very eager to start on Legend of Korra.

Wonder if she will catch the Rebels cameos.

26 minutes ago, Eivion said:

Clone Wars always felt like Lucas trying to tell the story of the prequels properly. I still kind of wonder if he would have had Clone Wars just overwrite Episode III with its own variant if he had kept working on it. Rebels is able to do a better job matching up because its taking place in a time period that was far more open with it being between trilogies. 

Wonder if she will catch the Rebels cameos.

Who are the Rebels cameos in Rogue One?  Saw Gerrera is on both, I know, but who else?

• You get the name mention of "General Syndulla" over a loudspeaker (we watch with subtitles so she might catch that)
  • You see Chopper scoot by at least once.
  • You see the Ghost at some point, I think. Twice maybe.

I'll make sure she sees Chopper. We'll see. I'll go back if she misses.

• Like 2

The most striking thing about the end of Rebels for me, was how graphic it was to see the wolves maul a bunch of stormtroopers. Rebels as a whole veered away from the violence of Clone Wars, but man if that wolf scene wasn't way up there on the "holy shit" scale.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...