DVDVR Message Board

2017 BOX OFFICE THREAD

RIPPA

What's funny is that Justice League did $281.5 million worldwide its debut weekend (which puts it in the Top 25 biggest openings ever)

But because it didn't crack $100 million domestically, it is being considered a failure

We have such weird standards

2 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

What's funny is that Justice League did $281.5 million worldwide its debut weekend (which puts it in the Top 25 biggest openings ever)

But because it didn't crack $100 million domestically, it is being considered a failure

We have such weird standards

Some of that's due to the budget though, right?

Foreign openings are a lot harder to compare, both because of the rapid expansion of the overseas market and because Justice League opened nearly everywhere at once, while a lot of blockbusters stagger their releases in various markets.

1 hour ago, tbarrie said:

Word of mouth on Justice League has been sufficiently positive that I don't expect its second week numbers to drop nearly as precipitously as Batman vs Superman did. It might still be a modest success, even domestically.

Fingers crossed.

I tried giving it the hard sell to someone last night, but they'd head enough negative stuff that they weren't having any of it. 

11 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

I already irrationally hate Coco because it appears to be a blatant rip-off of The Book of Life which is criminally underrated 

I agree and I am thankful that my daughter does not want to go see it which would force me to hate-watch it and cry through the entire thing..

I’m pretty sure Coco has been in production long enough that it’s just an accident. Coco has other things going for it like the All Latino cast, less gimmicky pop songs, and you know, Pixar. I liked Book of Life fine but it’s not at all a block to me.