DVDVR Message Board

2017 BOX OFFICE THREAD

RIPPA

Split crushed everything this week as it made just over $40 million. And since it's budget is a reported $9 million - M Night just got his mojo back

The xXx sequel finished 2nd with only $20 million (it made an additional $50 million worldwide)

Rogue One officially passed a billion dollars

Moana passes $500 million worldwide. 4th straight Disney movie to do that

53 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Split crushed everything this week as it made just over $40 million. And since it's budget is a reported $9 million - M Night just got his mojo back

You hear that sound?

That's the sound of a studio exec pulling his face up from a mountain of cocaine and preparing to write an ill-advised check.

• Like 2

xXx won't be released in most Asian territories until next month but will probably do well over there because of Donnie Yen, especially in China.  He's featured almost as prominently as Vin Diesel in the promotional materials.

On 1/22/2017 at 2:53 PM, Elsalvajeloco said:

You hear that sound?

That's the sound of a studio exec pulling his face up from a mountain of cocaine and preparing to write an ill-advised check.

And it's been written for.... Unbreakable 2!

• Like 1

You know how comic book movies are always careful to be respectful to the source material? People who make videogame movies don't seem to think that's important. And it's based on a failure of mathematics: If Assassin's Creed games come out every year and make ten million dollars (I'm guessing), then it must be a story people want to hear. But whilst not everyone owns a games console, everyone can go to the movies, so therefore a movie's reach will be twice as big and we'll be rolling in receipts. They forget that games cost 8 times as much as movie tickets, and so you need to octuple the reach, not double it, to make the same amount of gross sales.

Also, Hollywood producers are egomaniacs who want to prove they can succeed at something everyone fails at.

• Like 1

Split earned another $26 million to stay #1

So yeah - M Night has found the formula to success again.

Follow the horror model of small budget, don't fuck anything up, profit

11 hours ago, RIPPA said:

So yeah - M Night has found the formula to success again.

Follow the horror model of small budget, don't fuck anything up, profit

He also remembered that no one will give a shit about your movie's clever twist ending if the story sucks.

• Like 1

Split was #1 for a third straight week (making $14.6 million) - the first Universal film to do that since Straight Outta Compton

Rings opened in 2nd making $13 million

The disaster that is The Space Between Us finally ended its journey by making only $3.8 million its opening week. The film was original supposed to come out August 2016 then December 2016 till now.

• 3 weeks later...

I went and saw Collide. I kept hearing radio commercials for it and I was curious. One HUGE continuity error that really effects the movie. The cast was great(Ben Kingsley is really good at chewing the scenery). Had some good chases as well. The best thing of all was the leather recliners at the theater.

• 2 months later...

Not that they're box office juggernauts or anything, but "How To Be A Latin Lover" and "Baahubali 2: The Conclusion" showing up in the top 5 or top 10 is tripping me out.  Kind of like when I see Jeff Dunham on lists of highest earning celebrities.

I hadn't looked in awhile so I hadn't truly processed what big of bombs Power Rangers and Ghost in the Shell were

Ghost in the Shell gets slightly saved by its Foreign Box Office but yeesh...

I was super bummed by Power Rangers bombing. I don't know why they thought taking a franchise known for using cheap costumes and effects to maximum fun by leaning into the camp elements would be best served by making a mostly serious $100 mil blockbuster. 

And like...I liked the movie a lot but the costumes and Zords and monsters all looked so bad and actually would have been way better with the classic costuming anyway, likely at a fraction of the cost. Which sucks because Billy was a great character and SUPER GOOD REPRESENTATION of autism in film and generally the cast was full of characters I gave a shit about who were diverse in non-stereotypical ways. And on the flip we had the Megazord giving a monster a German Suplex. The movie was low key awesome and with a more reasonable budget could have been a great mid-range franchise but since Hollywood wanted a $100mil blockbuster, not really any hope for a sequel.

It's the mistakes of Feig's Ghostbusters all over again. (Bombed, but with the budget it had the original would have bombed too so idk what they expected)

In general I wish more big movies would shoot for a $50-70 million budget when testing new ideas. If you get good enough characters and story the special effects don't have to be top flight and tbh more judicious use of practical wouldn't be the worst either. A lot of these flicks hit $100+ million budgets and still have shitty looking CG. I just don't get where the money is going that's so essential.

The Matrix started with a $63 million budget, made $463 million, and became a cultural touchstone so the sequels got $150 million each. That's a logical progression.

Rangers opened surprisingly well, and then the bottom just fell out. 

I mostly really liked it as well, although Kimberly's "That's what you get" with a big smile at her two former friends who had every right to hate her was really fucking bad. That whole subplot wasn't handled great.

• Like 1

I think opening the week after Beauty & the Beast hit probably hurt. Like it opened fine but maybe could have stretched further. 

That said, it was also horribly promoted. None of the personalities came through and that was the best part of the film. 

And yeah, Kimberly's arc was a mess.

If you are interested in how much the box office landscape has changed, look no further than the totals from The Fate of the Furious.  It's now up around $1.15 billion with more than 80% of that coming from overseas.  The domestic total is $207,000,000 and will probably finish below Furious 6 here in the states.  I don't count Furious 7 because of Paul Walker's death;  I believe that led to an increase in the domestic total.  

Something else I found interesting,  Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 is way up in the states but not so much overseas.  The first film grossed $773M in total.  This one is probably going to finish around $850M, that's the estimates right now.  I thought for sure it was a lock for a billion especially with the huge increase domestically but overseas it's not catching on as much, still a huge huge number for this franchise though. 

• 2 weeks later...

Well, King Arthur died on it's arse. I guess they aren't making the other six (!) planned movies in the series now.

13 hours ago, AxB said:

Well, King Arthur died on it's arse. I guess they aren't making the other six (!) planned movies in the series now.

King Arthur made $15.4 mill on its opening weekend, comparable to and actually a slight improvement over Guy Ritchie's last movie, The Man From U.N.C.L.E. which made $13.4m on opening weekend.

Except there's this little problem where King Arthur's production budget was $100 million more than U.N.C.L.E.'s.

• Like 1

It's also about $4 million less than the 2004 King Arthur.

I saw it. It's not terrible, but it's badly disjointed between being "a Guy Ritchie film!" a fairly generic fantasy epic, and trying to leave sequel hooks. It could've been so much better if it didn't only sporadically let Ritchie's style shine through.