DVDVR Message Board

NXT TakeOver: San Antonio *SPOILERS*

The Natural

Hell I wish Riddle can sneak into the Royal Rumble match but that is just me.

Maybe cause I had such low expectations but I give this show a big thumbs up.   Strong vs Almas is probably the best "wrestling" match of the show everything after that was a lot better than it should have been.  I mean I still ask has Bobby Roode ever had a better match?  Even if Roode is now basically a Ric Flair rip off.  

The women's 4-way was laid out exactly how I thougth it would be, with lots of shennanigans to keep Asuka/Nikki from having too much interaction.  And the crowd just died the moment Nikki went through the table, because it was academic how that shit was going down.  Credit for not dragging out the handicap portion of the match for too long, though, and I love that Asuka doesn't even really have a finisher at this point - just any kick at any time could be the end.

Has NXT been going heavier on heel friendship or am I just noticing it more since that Revival/DIY Title change? Peyton and Billie, at least in this match, seem about that in a different way than, like, the BFFs, and I feel like I even caught a glimpse of it as the Authors of Pain looked like they might be about to lose.

Also, among the many things I liked about the women's match: Peyton actually getting a counter-kick in.

Well Peyton and Billie is really just another version of Emma & Dana Brooke from 2 years ago so the heel buddy team isn't that new when it comes to women

While I find the Corey Graves love affair with Roode way over the top, I absolutely loved him screaming in joy that he will make sure that Roode get Percy Watson fired 

1 minute ago, maciej said:

I feel like I even caught a glimpse of it as the Authors of Pain looked like they might be about to lose.

I noticed that, too, and I loved it.  The way they kinda rallied too each other when DIY had them on the ropes added some nuance to their characters beyond being generic monster heels.

I also liked how they flipped the usual "face eats a bunch of strikes and fires up" spot with Akam coming back on Ciampa.  That match was a clinic on how monster heels can show vulnerability and come out looking even better in the end.

There's a logic hole that took me out of the 4 way.

Peyton and Billie made it a point to stress that they were going to share the victory and both be champion. No dissension was teased in the buildup or the match. So, once they took out Nikki Cross, why would they try to put Asuka down, instead of one just lying down for the other to get the pin?

• Like 6

My friend just texted me and I quote: "Booby Roode is actually taking nxt to new hieghts. He's giving that brand a lot of credibility."

It was lame enough when Corey Graves said it about 50 times throughout the match and just repeating it makes it even worse.

Absolutely loved the main event. Went in feeling like it was just a title defense where Roode had no chance but thought Roode looked fantastic all the way through, from the excellent superstar entrance on. Roode's always had a real old school heel quality to me, dig his mannerisms on little things throughout. Awesome hot crowd here. Was shocked that Roode got the win but felt it was done brilliantly and amazing storytelling. Definitely don't get the hate I see Roode get at times but then again the wrestlers I hate are the ones everyone loves. Kinda wish they never did the switch back with Joe for 2 weeks so it would've felt a little bigger to be the end of Nakamura's reign here. Great selling from Nakamura, protected in defeat while Roode got put over very strong. Probably my favorite NXT match from both guys so far. I hope Roode has a reign similar to his TNA one. Glorious!

The women's match was the only one I was really looking forward to and thought it was pretty good, if a bit short. I also thought about Billie/Peyton not at least trying to lay down for the other, especially after taking out Nikki and having Asuka down. Peyton's near fall off the widows peak was good stuff. Peyton and Billie are great together, loved them on the preshow winning the breakout star award. Like that it seems Asuka/Nikki might continue. I do hope Asuka never loses, ever. Everything else on the show was solid enough but didn't grab my attention as much, the top 2 matches ruled.

20 minutes ago, hammerva said:

speaking of Watson, did we actually hear the guys in the production truck feed the first thing that Percy said on the show.  Either that or just said the same thing for the hell of it

I think it was Young Boy Tom feeding him the lines but yeah we definitely heard it

I went in thinking this would end up being better than it looked on paper. Everything delivered and I thought it was a fun show.

I have to give a lot of credit to DIY for getting a good match out of AOP(to be fair AOP looked competent). Nak's selling really sold the angle and I thought it came off well. It'll be interesting to see if we get AJ/Nak at Mania as I can't imagine he'll be going after a third NXT title run.

Guest Stefanie Without Stefanie
36 minutes ago, crazypook said:

Peyton and Billie made it a point to stress that they were going to share the victory and both be champion. No dissension was teased in the buildup or the match. So, once they took out Nikki Cross, why would they try to put Asuka down, instead of one just lying down for the other to get the pin?

Because then they can't double-pin Asuka to have a legit claim to be co-champions.

Nakamura's selljob might be the best thing he's done since the Zayn match.  I was pretty much rolling my eyes when he started selling, but he fucking committed to the point that I got sucked in on the finish.  Albert suddenly appearing (but doing nothing) was a nice touch too.  

So sick of the "Oh My GOD, he kicked out of my finisher!  What do I do?  Let me just sit here for a full minute and think about what to do next" spot.  

54 minutes ago, crazypook said:

I kept expecting them to pull this trick too

Guest Stefanie Without Stefanie
2 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

Why would dirtbag heels care about legit claims so long as they have the belt? 

Because if they both pin Asuka at the same time and become co-champions, they could then defend with an amended Freebird rule to cover singles titles and you don't know which one you're challenging until the match starts.

It's phenomenally dumb, but this is the same company that had their main roster tag team titles held by three people for the better part of a year and a half, so it wouldn't surprise me if they tried to run with a two person singles champ at some point.

1 hour ago, JCM said:

It'll be interesting to see if we get AJ/Nak at Mania as I can't imagine he'll be going after a third NXT title run.

Is this rumored for WM or just fantasy booking?