DVDVR Message Board

NXT TakeOver: San Antonio *SPOILERS*

The Natural

27 minutes ago, hammerva said:

Kind of confused why it would be infuriating.   Because we won't see him get the title back from Roode?  Because he would be working in a match while basically no selling a major leg injury?  Because we won't get that Nakamura vs Ohno match that we salivated for?  

It is either Samoa Joe or Nakamura showing up tonight.  Both should have been there months ago.  

That part.

For the most part, what happens in NXT stays in NXT.   There have been a few exceptions like Owens vs Zayn & Bayley vs Charlotte but that was mostly tied to feuds.  There should be company synergy but we can barely get that from week to week on RAW much less NXT to RAW/Smackdown

The leg injury thing was too major to blow off and have him running around full speed in the Rumble. And you don't wanna debut him selling an injury. I think it's a pretty safe bet Joe is in the Rumble, but Nakamura would be a mistake after Saturday night.

• Like 1

Triple H claimed in a promo that Nak has a dislocated kneecap or some such. I'm of the mind that they went with the injury angle to end speculation about Nak being in the RR.  Besides, as much as I'm a fan, I'm not sure they should call up a guy who looks like he's half-bored, particularly if they don't know what to do with him.  I feel like Nak's got enough charisma, and in-ring ability that he should have been a lock to get over on the main roster, but he's also a weird guy working for a company that already has a laundry list of sure things they couldn't get over.  I can see them messing this up, if they haven't already.  I feel like Nak would have been a big deal if they'd fast-tracked him to RAW they way the did AJ.

I'm more annoyed Asuka is seemingly in limbo.  Meltzer seems to thing they might never call her up.  She's already 35 on a roster where Vince prefers to pretend the women fall off the face of the earth before they turn 40.  At the same time, when do you debut her without taking away from the four horsewomen.  Calling her up now screws with the Bayley-Charlotte program.  Calling her up after WM either regulates her or Sasha's probable heel turn to the back burner.  Sigh.  Again, it seems like they waited too long.

And I totally would have gone with the Mean Girls throwing Asuka and Nikki out, then pinning each other.  It wouldn't hurt Asuka, it'd be unique and memorable, and it'd open up something for everyone involved to do.  Hell, if they wanted Nikki to challenge for the belt, they could babyface the Aussies and go a new direction.  It seemed like they'd either have the Mean Girls co-operate to take the belt, or tease some dissension between them and they didn't really do either.

Had to go to a funeral in Louisiana so I only just managed to finish the show a an hour ago.

Tye/Young was solid and way more enjoyable than expected. Dillinger totally needs to be champ at some point, maybe the Wrestlemania Takeover.

Almas/Strong was solid, maybe even good, but I was pretty annoyed at Strong's victory. Really feels like there is no decent point when he completely lacks a characters. Almas is being wasted.

DIY/AoP was about as good as I hoped. DIY is good at making the AoP come off as monsters while also putting over how great their own tag work is to even out the odds.

Women's 4-way was fun. it definitely wasn't near as much as they could have done, but I thought they did well making Asuka still look so strong while giving Nikki her moment too shine and the Aussie Mean Girls not breaking away from each other. I loved Nikki still looking and smiling at a celebrating Asuka even as she was laying on a broken table. I know the match with Moon is the plan, but they are making a mistake if they don't let Nikki & Asuka get a real feud in before then.

Nakamura/Roode was MOTN for me. Roode wasn't the most interesting in control, but I like how much he taunted Nakamura and threw a monkey wrench into Nakamura's usual game. The match was generally solid and built to something good before the injury knocked up another level few levels. I think this was the best performance and match from Roode yet as far as NXT goes. And it was definitely the best Nakamura has looked in nearly a year.

Solid show in the end.

• Like 1

On 1/29/2017 at 11:36 AM, RIPPA said:

Yup - Ember Moon is up next

Asuka asking if Ember Moon was someone who worked there was pretty amazing.

20 hours ago, Hail Sabin said:

Asuka getting called up to Smackdown would be better for her and the SD roster. It probably won't happen until we get Ember Moon vs. Asuka.

[Fantasy booking]Asuka should debut the night after Wrestlemania coming after Bayley and her newly won Raw's Women's Championship.[/Fantasy booking]

I went to this show and had a great time. Much of the crowd around me did seem to think Nakamura was legit injured, at least up until Roode locked in the Half Crab. That was a great match, but there's one thing I wished they'd done with the finish...

You spend all this time setting up the knee injury. That's good! You end it with a DDT. Huh? When Albert ran down the ramp, I said to my buddy I was expecting Albert/Train/Matt to play Arnold Skaaland to Nak's Backlund and throw in the towel. That would have been awesome and much more logical than a DDT finish, but whatever. 

Another fantasy booking discussion we had: They missed the boat not bringing Andrade in under his mask as a babyface, losing it in a Mask vs. Hair (or Mask vs. Title) match, and THEN turning heel. I still dig his heel shtick, though. He and Roddy brought it. 

Speaking of bringing, Ciampa...good lord. His deadlift suplexes on the AoP were SO impressive. That match was amazing, and had so many great booking wrinkles. Using the same spot that beat The Revival, only for AoP to power out really emphasized how monstrous the team is. Good shit. 

Nikki going through the table was a huge cringe moment for me, but again: great booking. That could have been a thoroughly meh, or even bad match if they'd attempted a Fatal 4-Way in the same vein as Sasha/Charlotte/Becky/Bayley. Having Asuka basically work the whole match, while the rest took powders at various intervals was smart, both for putting on a much better-than-expected match, but further establishing Asuka as a supreme bad-ass. 

On ‎1‎/‎29‎/‎2017 at 8:46 AM, RIPPA said:

Okay - this is small and stupid but it is still bugging me this morning

So the person who was doing the WON live recap wrote this during the Tyler Bate segment

The fan mocking him was Brock Lesnar Guy and Matt Riddle was clearly in the shot too.

Don't you think if you are writing for the WON website - you would be able to ID either of these two people?

Or because you write for the WON website you know who both are and you know it would annoy Brock Lesnar Guy to be just a no-name fan.

• RIPPA unpinned this topic