DVDVR Message Board

SDL - 1/17/17 - RIP David Otunga

Dolfan in NYC

A commercial break in the middle of the cage match? Bah.

SDL gives us Orton vs. Ambrose for what feels like an hour, yet is still the better show. That's not good for RAW at all.

A little strange that Mickie James would be brought back as a heel. Smackdown's women's division is thin on the face side. What would be Mickie's motivation for siding with Alexa? Wouldn't she want a title shot? 

I assume the Wyatt dissension continues into the Royal Rumble; leading to Bray/Randy at WM. I'm curious when Rowan is due back and how he'll be fit into things, if he will.

AJ deserves to the hold the title through WM. He's the company MVP and should get a year long title reign. I don't feel like anyone in the title picture is close to being in his league right now.

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

A little strange that Mickie James would be brought back as a heel. Smackdown's women's division is thin on the face side. What would be Mickie's motivation for siding with Alexa? Wouldn't she want a title shot? 

People have said that Alexa reminds them of Trish for a while. Maybe Mickie comes back with obsession part 2 lol Either way, glad to see her finally back. 

Nikki and Nattie are bringing the hate so good right now. 

• Like 3

This was a mixed bag.  The opener was good, with Miz confronting AJ and Cena trolling in the background. The match was very solid. 

The Nikki/Natalya dialogue was AWFUL.  My word, that was brutal.  Did like Nattie calling Bret her ex-uncle. The brawl was fun, though.  Hope that security guard gets a bonus because Nikki decked him good!

Ambrose/Orton was painfully dull. Right now, Harper is too good for this as he's the best actor in the story by far.

Ziggler flailing as a heel?  I saw that coming.  Thought Lawler was fine and despite the fall, JBL looking to help his friend was great.

The cage match was iffy.  Had some decent spots, but just never picked up much steam.  La Luchadora's reveal was expected.  Seems like they would have done it outside the cage so the crowd could see Mickie's face better.  I think it took away from the moment a bit. And that commercial during the match was bad planning.

Only a so-so show for me and no better than RAW this week IMO.

2 minutes ago, Jamal said:

People have said that Alexa reminds them of Trish for a while. Maybe Mickie comes back with obsession part 2 lol Either way, glad to see her finally back. 

I'd be all for a Single White Female angle with Alexa and Mickie. 

• Like 8

11 minutes ago, Burgundy LaRue said:

Right now, Harper is too good for this as he's the best actor in the story by far.

Harper is way too good for this. He should have been elevated into the world title picture about two years ago. His singles run was a such a half assed pathetic attempt. Give AJ and Harper 20 minutes and turn them loose. I don't think they've ever worked against each other on the indies. I searched, but came up with nothing.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, sabremike said:

Re: Dolph "going there": why does WWE always have to do things that make you feel like having to take a shower afterwards?

Didn't think they would, since Lawler nearly died in front of them. The superkick legit surprised me. But WWE gotta WWE.  Besides, Lawler is likely cool with it.

42 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

If Lawler had any creative input, I'd call him Fritz Von Lawler.

Hang on now, Dolph actually said heart attack, right. It's been established elsewhere that such exact phrasing wasn't using with Fritz and company.

I miss babyface Ziggler but thought the segment was pretty good with Lawler looking ready for the fired up babyface comeback in the end. They announced Lawler's gonna call the Rumble with Cole & Graves, I guess replacing Saxton there. Styles/Miz was pretty good while it lasted.

Alexa/Becky felt like the least of their matches so far to me unfortunately. Kind of seemed like the outcome/reveal was a foregone conclusion. Good to see Mickie back anyways. A little surprised she's back as a heel but her original run remains her best stuff. Looking forward to Mickie and Alexa together.

I thought this was a weaker episode than the norm. The opening promo was good once Miz got involved and the AJ/Miz match was solid while it lasted.

The Nikki/Nattie promo was the weakest they've done in the feud so far, but the brawl more than made up for it. Stuff like this admittedly makes my bloodlust grow a bit, especially after watching some hate filled bloody matches from AJW last year. I hope they can manage some crazy brawl when this finally goes down, blood or not.

Dean/Orton felt too logn and didn't really hold my interest. I did somewhat enjoy the continued gradual implosion of the Wyatts.

The Ziggler/King segment did little for me. It took a little long to get to the point, and both stumbled a bit too much.

Becky/Alexa might have been their weakest match yet in the feud. I'm kind of pleased they at least got the main event for such a match yet at the same time it feels pointless if they had no intentions of letting the two go big. Mickie coming in is nice, but I have trouble making sense of her aligning with Alexa. I'm honestly not sure why Alexa still has the belt.

While the show wasn't great Talking Smack continues to be a highlight. Baron still stumbles a bit too much, but he was good. King was also noticeable better talking here than he was was on the main show.