DVDVR Message Board

SDL - 1/17/17 - RIP David Otunga

Dolfan in NYC

WWE cage matches have been the drizzling shits for as long as I can remember. They're meant to keep participants in and interference out, yet escape is built into the rules and the door is unlocked. Why bother attempting to go over the top at all? Lord knows all that really serves to do is stall any momentum the match is at risk of gaining. In the age of Hell in a Cell, who needs a WWE cage match?

Bliss vs Lynch falling flat tonight should surprise nobody. It's almost a guarantee with a WWE cage match. 

Miz nuking the shit out of AJ and Cena egging them both on in the background was some really good shit. Dean and Randy fucking around for what felt like 80 years was not. The Nikki/Natty talking bits were cringe-worthy, but thankfully the brawl was nice as hell. King's Court was a stinker and they really need to drop all these stupid talk show segments outside of probably MizTV. Wish I could say that I was mildly shocked that the heart attack would get referenced(with Dolph basically threatening to kill Jerry, which was kinda uncomfortable. :/), but like someone already said, real shit seems to be the only stuff to get heel heat these days.

As for the main, WWE regular cage matches are awful and this didn't really do much to change that. Happy to see Mickie back, though.

3 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Harper is way too good for this. He should have been elevated into the world title picture about two years ago. His singles run was a such a half assed pathetic attempt. Give AJ and Harper 20 minutes and turn them loose. I don't think they've ever worked against each other on the indies. I searched, but came up with nothing.

Luke Harper's deserved to be higher up in the WWE, same for Cesaro.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

WWE cage matches have been the drizzling shits for as long as I can remember. They're meant to keep participants in and interference out, yet escape is built into the rules and the door is unlocked. Why bother attempting to go over the top at all? Lord knows all that really serves to do is stall any momentum the match is at risk of gaining.

Watching the Puerto Rico set was a revelation to me seeing people sometimes ignoring going over the top of the cage, desperately and constantly trying to get out the door, and getting pulled back in by the opponent to either get stomped and/or bleed all over the place. After watching years of WWF Escape the Cage Rules you finally realize the stipulation made sense in a different setting where, you know, logic applied.

I wouldn't mind the Smackdown women getting a 6-pack challenge type deal at WrestleMania.  They had a couple of those to start the division and they were quite good.  Personally, I would give Naomi the title win.  She's improved so much over the past year and while I do not think they will ever have her be the ace, WM could be her Zack Ryder moment. 

The worst part about that Lawler segment is the heart attack stuff didn't even get much heat. Vince must have been laughing hysterically at JBL's shockmaster moment because there's no way Otunga has the balls to call that out on his own.

Even though the reveal wasn't surprising, I'm glad to see Mickie back. The Becky/Alexa feud was pretty mediocre on its own, but running concurrently with Sasha/Charlotte made it look even worse. Becky's stock is pretty low right now, but maybe an inspired feud with Mickie can bring her back up.

4 hours ago, Eivion said:

I would be shocked if the SDL live women even got a singles match for WM.

I would be shocked if there was any women's match that was a straight singles match at Mania (unless Steph is wrestling)

There are too many people are both sides they are trying to squeeze in

Becky seems like one of the few to come out of the brand split worse off.  The SDL roster is just too small and there's no one on her level for her to work with.  I wouldn't mind seeing Nikki-Becky, but that's not going to happen until one of them turns.  

Alexa's done great character work so far, but, man, I have no desire to see her wrestle.  Didn't think any of the matches with Becky were particularly good.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Cristobal said:

So between TNA mentions and "Wow, Smackdown really likes fisting," is it fair to say DB is no longer hosting Talking Smack?

How far along is Brie in her pregnancy?  Is it possible he wanted to stay home to be with her?  It doesn't explain his segment last week, but maybe this week going forward.  Though it would be nice to be told "Shane's host now" so we don't have to wonder.  As far as host I'm not feeling Shane much, guy seems like he just woke up and working on a cup of coffee.  But it is nice to see a more relaxed conversation between him and Baron.  I just miss the confrontations that made for a fun time.

For all the talk about them "going there" with Lawler and the heart attack, I'm more bothered by Nattie saying that Bret like Nikki will die alone.  It took me out of the moment for a couple reasons.  For one, you don't have to dig much to know the guy's married with kids close to him.  For another why would she say that about her uncle even if to her he's a "former uncle"?  And third it seems like WWE gets into one of these weird "anti-Bret" kicks and will say shit just for giggles.  It wouldn't surprise me that somebody with that mindset told her to say that.  There was enough proper heat to say shit about Nikki, adding Bret just seems pointless and kind of cruel.

6 minutes ago, NikoBaltimore said:

There was enough proper heat to say shit about Nikki, adding Bret just seems pointless and kind of cruel.

It's almost like she's trying to be a heel!

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

It's almost like she's trying to be a heel!

Nattie's been a far better heel than I though in this feud with Nikki.  I was on board with her saying that Bret liked Nikki more and things like that, effective heeling right there.  Even saying he's not her uncle anymore is fine.  But the comment last night wasn't heelish to me, it seemed more like an agenda they had her say.  It took me out of the moment.  But if it worked for you for heeling's sake then wonderful.  I just wasn't feeling it.  Maybe I'm reading too much into it, but that's my opinion.

11 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I'd be all for a Single White Female angle with Alexa and Mickie. 

That angle would totally be pants free.

12 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Bray should still be dressing like Max Cady.

Yeah, the grunge messiah thing with the Captain Jack Sparrow dreadlocks is not working.  I also support a return the Cape Fear look.

11 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Harper is way too good for this. He should have been elevated into the world title picture about two years ago. His singles run was a such a half assed pathetic attempt.

Skills wise, Harper is more than ready for the main event, but the dirty wifebeater and jeans gimmick is an albatross around his neck.

A change of wardrobe worked wonders for Braun Strowman and Harper would probably benefit too.

If Orton is going to stay with the Wyatts (they will probably break up in a matter of days), he also needs to ditch the tiny shorts and find some denim.

Funny how the road to recovery / improvement for Wyatt Family members seems to hinge on doing something with their physical appearance.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, StuntmanCrowley said:

It honestly looks like they just darkened his pants and changed his hair.  Though I will say, the shaved sides of the head definitely added some (more) menace to his appearance.

I don't think shaving the sides of Luke's head is an option....

• Like 2

I can't begin to express how funny it was to me when Luke Harper just threw up his hand like "I'M OUT!" when he was getting scolded by Bray and Randy

I am excited about a Randy Orton match. Who have I become?

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Rev Ray said:

I don't think shaving the sides of Luke's head is an option....

Nor his beard.  His hair gives him his power just like Samson.

2 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

I can't begin to express how funny it was to me when Luke Harper just threw up his hand like "I'M OUT!" when he was getting scolded by Bray and Randy

I am excited about a Randy Orton match. Who have I become?

Who are you and what have you done with my friend?

I would also be excited if Randy Orton bullshit wasn't destined to go down because you know that clean pinffall loss to AA must still be burning in his gut.

• Like 2