DVDVR Message Board

2017 DOCUMENTARY THREAD

RIPPA

On 9/19/2017 at 1:54 PM, nofuture said:

FYI, all the episodes are currently available on their website and through their mobile/streaming app.

Just curious are you able to see episodes 6 - 10 ?   I am getting messages that I need a membership to something from WETA which is our local station.  Wondering if it was it was  DC or everyone

Since I too am WETA I can't answer for everyone else but I am pretty sure what they are doing is - you have to have the PBS membership to have early access to the episodes. Otherwise you have to wait till they air regularly, then they will be available online

Mr. Dynamite: The Rise of James Brown is on AXS right now and it's fascinating. He was a hard, hard man to work with and he was quite a dick (even a friend of Nixon) but he was formed by the pain of his upbringing. It doesn't paint a great picture of him but it's fair. You also get to see the birth of funk so there's that

Good lord one of the members is talking about having to pull a fucking gun on him. And now they're talking about him being a domestic abuser which I forgot about and yeah... fuck him. 

No - what will piss you off is the new documentary about Andrew Wakefield (the creator of the Anti-Vax movement) which basically tries to give Wakefield a redemption story.

I refuse to post the trailer because it can go fuck itself

Showtime is playing Tough Guys which is about an early form of MMA based in Pittsburgh during the late 70's/early 80's and it's amazing. All of the Pittsburgh guys who started it and competed in it are great interviews(I'm a little biased since I grew up there) and it's a shame how things ended up since they were years ahead of their time. It also shows what an utter scumbag "Tough Man Contest" promoter Art Dore was/is along with the Pennsylvania Athletic Commission. 

On 10/5/2017 at 4:05 PM, happjack said:

Showtime is playing Tough Guys which is about an early form of MMA based in Pittsburgh during the late 70's/early 80's and it's amazing. All of the Pittsburgh guys who started it and competed in it are great interviews(I'm a little biased since I grew up there) and it's a shame how things ended up since they were years ahead of their time. It also shows what an utter scumbag "Tough Man Contest" promoter Art Dore was/is along with the Pennsylvania Athletic Commission. 

Art Dore is from Bay City, MI, where my wife (and the Steiners) is from. Dore is well known there for being a scumbag. 

But I totally need to see that series. I've seen clips of that stuff and it looks great. 

• 1 month later...

The Godfathers of Hardcore (dir. Ian McFarland) 

This should be interesting. Incidentally, I saw them with Municipal Waste about a decade ago. There were two massive brawls involving the same people (including a bunch of women) that Roger had to speak out about. I was standing on a side balcony and watched both like it was on TV. After, literally the entire county police department descended on the venue like a pack of vultures as everyone was leaving. We got lucky because there was a bowl sitting in plain sight in the ride we took but after chilling in the parking lot for about a half hour they opened up the roads and we got out with no harassment. One of the more memorable experiences I've had at a show haha

• 2 weeks later...

Rolling Stone - Stories from the Edge (dir. Alex Gibney)

Since the free HBO is on I managed to catch most of this. Surprisingly, it's not completely self-congratulatory -- they air the interview where Hunter basically says Jann sold out. Hunter is voiced by Johnny Depp, of course. There are some stories I haven't heard and they give a good chunk of time to Ice-T who actually gets to talk about the formation of Body Count (!). Wenner comes off as I expected him, kind of a curmudgeon/idealist who doesn't have an interest in currently popular music. Some really interesting stuff about Clinton and the rise of Immortan Joe. It's worth trying to catch the full four hours. Beware though -- the Lennon and Yoko stuff will wreck you. 

The shortlist for the Academy Awards documentaries - the 5 nominees will come from these 15

The 15 documentaries are listed below in alphabetical order by title, with their production companies:

Abacus: Small Enough to Jail, Mitten Media, Motto Pictures, Kartemquin Educational Films and WGBH/FRONTLINE
Chasing Coral, Exposure Labs in partnership with The Ocean Agency & View Into the Blue in association with Argent Pictures & The Kendeda Fund
City of Ghosts, Our Time Projects and Jigsaw Productions
Ex Libris – The New York Public Library,” Ex Libris Films
Faces Places, Ciné Tamaris
Human Flow, Participant Media and AC Films
Icarus, Netflix Documentary in association with Impact Partners, Diamond Docs, Chicago Media Project and Alex Productions
An Inconvenient Sequel: Truth to Power, Paramount Pictures and Participant Media
Jane, National Geographic Studios in association with Public Road Productions
LA 92, Lightbox
Last Men in Aleppo, Larm Film
Long Strange Trip, Double E Pictures, AOMA Sunshine Films and Sikelia
One of Us, Loki Films
Strong Island, Yanceville Films and Louverture Films
Unrest, Shella Films and Little by Little Films

Just on principal - I am gonna be really angry if An Inconvenient Sequel wins

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Curt McGirt said:

It's good to see Kelly Coffield again btw, she seemed to vanish after In Living Color (at least to me, I never watched Jerry Maguire or Scary Movie). I had no idea she married Steve Park either. 

Speaking of which, In Living Color deserves its own doc

She had appearances on Martin and the Jamie Foxx show. I don't remember her in anything else afterwards.

I didn't know Ali Wentworth married George Stephanopoulos. That's a comeup.