DVDVR Message Board

2017 DOCUMENTARY THREAD

RIPPA

Bix just tweeted that the Nobody Speak doc (the one about the Hogan/Gawker trial that Bix is supposedly all over) will be on Netflix on June 23

The Defiant Ones

4 part HBO doc on Dre (and others)

Just from the trailer alone you see they spoke to Snoop, Eminem, Springsteen, Bono and Stevie Nicks

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Atari: Game Over- pretty good documentary on Atari burying ET cartridges in a New Mexico landfill. The parts about the digging up the cartridges was ok, but i was more interested in the history of Atari and the bumbling of the release of ET, giving the poor guy only 5 weeks to complete the game from start to finish. Makes me want to get a Flashback to play these old games again.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

On another note, I did see some of The Defiant Ones when HBO had a free weekend run recently. My conclusion was that both guys are basically just some rich assholes that didn't deserve a freakin' three part documentary to be made about them no matter their success. Mean, I know, but that was the reaction. The Dee Barnes beating put a real bad taste in my mouth and I didn't care about Jimmy Iovine's workaholic ass at all. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

George Michael: Freedom

This was filmed before Michael's death and he is the narrator of his own documentary

George Michael: Freedom features interviews with the five supermodels from David Fincher’s “Freedom! ’90” video; Naomi Campbell, Christy Turlington, Cindy Crawford, Tatjana Patitz and Linda Evangelista – who come together for the first time to discuss their experience on the iconic music video. The film also features interviews with some of Michaels’ most famous friends and music legends, including Stevie Wonder, Elton John, Ricky Gervais, Nile Rogers, Mark Ronson, Tracey Emin, Liam Gallagher, Mary J. Blige, Jean Paul Gaultier, James Corden and Tony Bennett.

On 9/16/2017 at 2:59 PM, hammerva said:

Just to remind people, the Ken Burns documentary series on the Vietnam War begins on Sunday.  I believe it is 2 weeks long for 90 min - 2 hour shows so this one looks to be just as in depth as the Civil War and Baseball ones  

FYI, all the episodes are currently available on their website and through their mobile/streaming app.