DVDVR Message Board

2017 DOCUMENTARY THREAD

RIPPA

First Tower and now Abacus.

What is it with PBS making documentaries that will either send me running for Kleenex or make me want to punch some random person in the face?

• Like 1

The LA '92 doc is playing on Nat Geo right now and I'm glad the storm outside is cutting the satellite feed because I need another table to flip

EDIT: Finished it. Make that two... no, three... no, four tables. I'm glad one of my favorite albums ever came in the mail so I can just listen to that and my PMA will get some bars on it

If you're in the mood to see a movie that makes you want to punch something, give Murder in the Park a try. It tells the story of a 1982 Chicago double murder for which Anthony Porter was convicted. Thanks to a crusading Northwestern professor and his class, who videotaped the confession of another man, Porter's conviction was overturned, and that overturn was the final nail in the coffin for the death penalty in Illinois. It makes for an incredible story. 

Except it's false. The confession was coerced, the professor and his students lied, the DA ignored evidence and more. The result is that an innocent man was framed and sent to prison, while a guilty man became the poster child for wrongful convictions. 

At least the innocent guy eventually also got cleared. 

Steve McQueen is making an "official" Tupac documentary per Tupac's Estate

Shakur Estate trustee Tom Whalley and Amaru Entertainment, the company created by Afeni Shakur to release her son’s posthumous projects, announced today that Nigel Sinclair’s White Horse Pictures and Jayson Jackson will team up to produce a fully-authorized documentary with Amaru on the life of acclaimed hip-hop artist, writer and poet Tupac Shakur. What’s more, the Tupac Shakur documentary is set to be directed by Academy Award-winning filmmaker Steve McQueen, whose credits include the acclaimed feature films Hunger, Shame and 12 Years a Slave.

• 4 weeks later...

Damn. That made me very happy to see.  This is the tournament I mentioned in the NFL thread.  They're now up to 36 open division teams with another 12 women's teams and the tournament is going strong.  The movie is about the 2010 tournament, which shows you how long my buddy Seth has been trying to get this documentary off the ground.

• Like 1