DVDVR Message Board

2017 The Stuff About Sports Media Thread

RIPPA

6 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

I saw an interesting theory on Barkley's constant downgrading of LeBron: he's scared that if people start to accept LeBron as the greatest, then Chuck will no longer have played during the era of the greatest of all-time, and it would hurt his legacy.

Which is insane, Sir Charles was fucking great and nothing will change that. But it feels plausible that he is that insecure. 

I think Charles Barkley really holds on to the fact that he played in the greatest era.  He is always trying to say that the current players couldn't play in his era, and completely disregards that the current NBA has multiple 7 foot tall perimeter players.  He was playing in the post at 6'5", what the fuck would he do against someone like Kevin Durant?  Sure, they had more big guys, but how many of them could guard Giannis?  They had to play man-to-man, half those guys wouldn't be able to stay on the court, because they couldn't move their feet well enough to guard Karl Anthony Towns or Joel Embiid out to the 3-point line.  

• Like 1

I mean, Barkley's height didn't hold him back much when he was playing in a rather center-dominant era.  It'd likely matter less now given how many teams can and do play small.

Now his terrible three point shooting, that would be a much more significant factor.  Of course then you get into the whole "players from a different era would prepare differently for different rules and environment" thing that only ever results in headaches.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm waiting for them to cancel the whole network and replace it with reruns of old Football games and nothing else. Just random ones 24 hours a day. It...would probably do better ratings.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, supremebve said:

I have never watched anything on Fox Sports 1 not related to the UFC.  As far as I'm concerned it is the UFC Network.

That only may last for 2 more years. After that, it will be lower level college football games, the Bedlam game, Big East basketball, and Jason Whitlock quoting The Wire for no apparent reason other than to let people know he saw The Wire.

Fox Sports is a such a sewer. Jamie Horowitz is basically Vince Russo: He was a cog in a machine at ESPN that functioned just fine before and after him, then when unleashed unfettered at the desperate No. 2, has completely shown his ass. Skip Bayless' First Take 2.0 is a failure. Spray Tan and Fat Man In A Tiny Hat's Hot Take Hour never cracks the Top 150 for cable ratings (the cutoff for which is typically 40,000 viewers). Clay Travis sounds like he's a campaigning to become Grand Dragon of the Klan whenever he has a platform. 

It's a shame FS1 has Big East basketball and Pac 12 basketball/football, because I'd be able to ignore it completely otherwise. 

It was announced during NHL Trade Deadline coverage that TSN has acquired Jay and Dan. They will start in September and will host the Midnight Eastern edition that will also Loop in the morning.

Why do people listen to Mike Francesca? He's a know it all blowhard whose constantly wrong. On top of that he's the single worst inerviewer I've ever heard. He acts as if his guests are interviewing him. Is it just some sort of joke that everyone is in on except Francesca himself?

2 minutes ago, sabremike said:

Why do people listen to Mike Francesca? He's a know it all blowhard whose constantly wrong. On top of that he's the single worst inerviewer I've ever heard. He acts as if his guests are interviewing him. Is it just some sort of joke that everyone is in on except Francesca himself?

Dan LeBatard said something like this a couple weeks ago.  He basically said he started doing his radio show because, "If this is the best sports radio show, I can do something better than that."

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Ryan said:

Is this the lost Sinbad Genie film?

No idea if you're making a joke or not, but, in any case, it's the opening sequence to last night's 6PM edition of SportsCenter (now called "The 6", apparently).  They recreated the opening credits of A Different World using some of the original actors.

First time I've caught Hill and Smith since they started doing SportsCenter. The opening bit was really clever.

Man, whenever I see Mike Lombardi is going to be a Bill Simmons guest, I shake my head. He's not egregiously terrible, but he's kinda the worst combination of a blowhard and also kinda boring. Strangely, the Simmons guests I like the most are just the random dudes he went to school with. (JackO, Joe House, and even his dad.)